PDA

View Full Version : Bulbs

Cali-T5
Thursday 18th December 2008, 21:42
Just been pulled by the old plod and given a fixed penalty notice for the passenger side headlight bulb being out.

Apprently we are having a Zero Tolerance approach to drivers in merseyside.

So with christmas a week away i'm lumbered with a nice £30 fine.

Anyway

Anyone know what bulb i need to replace the blown one with. i'm to lazy and it's to dark to go looking now.

Is it H1 or H4 ?

Thanks

5seaterT5x2
Thursday 18th December 2008, 22:07
Just been pulled by the old plod and given a fixed penalty notice for the passenger side headlight bulb being out.

Apprently we are having a Zero Tolerance approach to drivers in merseyside.

So with christmas a week away i'm lumbered with a nice £30 fine.

Anyway

Anyone know what bulb i need to replace the blown one with. i'm to lazy and it's to dark to go looking now.

Is it H1 or H4 ?

Thanks

on a t5? 99% it's H1 i've found the halfords book to be wrong in there it says h4.

that coppers a real gent aint he? ;-/ next week they will be asking the general public for help and assistance i expect hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Volvostorm
Thursday 18th December 2008, 22:13
Yeah, its a H1

I once got done for have blue reversing lights (Don't ask) took them 1/2 an hour to work out what they could do me on :( in the end, it was 'Not having a correct colour light' 30 pound please!

Taff - t5
Thursday 18th December 2008, 22:15
Hi
The headlamp bulb is a H1 just had a look in my T5 handbook
Cheers
Richard.

5seaterT5x2
Thursday 18th December 2008, 22:16
Yeah, its a H1

I once got done for have blue reversing lights (Don't ask) took them 1/2 an hour to work out what they could do me on :( in the end, it was 'Not having a correct colour light' 30 pound please!

jesus

dangerstevie
Thursday 18th December 2008, 22:24
They never have anything better to do.........b*stards. Guarentee if you were a right scumbag shopliftin etc etc you would just get a slap on the wrist and a merry xmas.

Volvostorm
Thursday 18th December 2008, 22:34
Probably, I've since found out they couldn't keep me waiting that long..... Only good thing, the lady copper had a nice rear end! ;)

850twr
Friday 19th December 2008, 02:38
probably jealous of your car mate, what he have, a poxy 1.6 astra?

volvokid
Friday 19th December 2008, 02:52
I can understand being pulled over for that but to hit you with a fine is crap, I think stuff like tyer's and bulbs should be one of those warnings that you have to get fixed within 7days (or so) or you will get points or the relevant fine, stuff like this can go un noticed, especially when you have other things on your mind. My dad got hit with a fine when his road tax run out (must have been his tax I was young cant 100% remember) it was the day of my granddads funeral but did they have mercy when my dad told them the circumstance nope, the world is full of paid robots.

kyebosh
Friday 19th December 2008, 08:20
I always thought that they issued a ‘Vehicle defect rectification notice’ in the case of a headlight out. You could argue that you checked them and they were working before commencing your journey in which case who's to say the bulb hadn't blown moments before they spotted you. Is it law in this country to carry a spare set of bulbs?

Vikingxl
Friday 19th December 2008, 09:19
A defect is a defect and the laws there to protect us all

Volvokid how would you feel if someone was given 7 days to get a dodgy tyre fixed and in that time smashed into someone you know and killed them because of the faulty tyre?There isnt really an excuse to have faults on the car especially as we are all here as car enthusiasts

Rufe
Friday 19th December 2008, 11:26
Is it H1 or H4 ?

Thanks
could be either, what year is the car.

Cali-T5
Friday 19th December 2008, 13:00
it's a 1995 T5 on an M plate

Rufe
Friday 19th December 2008, 13:07
H1 then,

Simon :)

Cali-T5
Friday 19th December 2008, 13:11
Thanks

Torch S70R
Friday 19th December 2008, 13:13
might be an idea to carry a spares kit, think you can get them at halfords as well?
that way if you get pulled again for a busted bulb you can replace it there and then :)

chriskay
Friday 19th December 2008, 13:45
might be an idea to carry a spares kit, think you can get them at halfords as well?
that way if you get pulled again for a busted bulb you can replace it there and then :)

Not if the Halfrauds kit has an H4 in it;)

BTW, Cali-T5, was it Auditastic? (Just someone we know from another site)

Cheers, Chris.

volvokid
Friday 19th December 2008, 14:18

Volvokid how would you feel if someone was given 7 days to get a dodgy tyre fixed and in that time smashed into someone you know and killed them because of the faulty tyre?There isnt really an excuse to have faults on the car especially as we are all here as car enthusiasts

Yeah ok so this person gets pulled over gets his points for the tyres and carries on driven anyway and the same scenario happens, what difference does it make?

Cali-T5
Friday 19th December 2008, 14:46
Not if the Halfrauds kit has an H4 in it;)

BTW, Cali-T5, was it Auditastic? (Just someone we know from another site)

Cheers, Chris.

Hi Chris,

No dave is still off because of this accident, was a young lady. Dave wont be back in work until march he was saying to me recently. If it was him i'm sure i wouldn't of got the fine.

nathT5
Friday 19th December 2008, 17:15
i need some new bulbs too as my o/s ones out this morning,
what will mine be? its a 96 N-reg, ebay says H4???

btw, a £30 fines a bit harsh int it? although loads of people round here are taking the p155,
ive seen the same cars with dodgey lights for months and its getting a pain,
theres a new fiesta driving every morning with the o/s sidelight on, n/s headlight and o/s front fog,
it looks b100dy twisted and even has a brakelight out too...

nathT5
Friday 19th December 2008, 17:22

theres no excuse for worn tyres but a light bulb can blow at any time,
mine went this morning at 6am so i had to drive to work without it, its not exactly a dangerous defect,
other than carry spares what do you do at that time???

Vikingxl
Friday 19th December 2008, 17:58
nathT5 i agree mate sometimes it cant be helped but the way it was worded volvokid seems to think that they are a similar issue.

We should all carry spare bulbs really though its not like they cost the earth

Dangerous Dave
Friday 19th December 2008, 18:52
any 96 850 will have H1 Bulbs in it. Think they changed them from H4s in 1994

chriskay
Friday 19th December 2008, 18:58
Isn't it the case that if you have separate main & dipped beam lights they will be H1's. H4's (3 contacts on the bulb) are for headlights with combined main & dipped beam.

Dangerous Dave
Friday 19th December 2008, 19:25
Isn't it the case that if you have separate main & dipped beam lights they will be H1's. H4's (3 contacts on the bulb) are for headlights with combined main & dipped beam.

Thats right dude.

nathT5
Friday 19th December 2008, 20:10
nathT5 i agree mate sometimes it cant be helped but the way it was worded volvokid seems to think that they are a similar issue.

is,nt it illegal in some european countries to not carry spare bulbs?
i think we have it quite relaxed compared to some, although VOSA are very tough on us truckers,
i got a GV9 offence for having a blown side repeater light, i had to park it up and get it recovered,
then they required a FULL MOT before releasing it, mad or what???

volvokid
Friday 19th December 2008, 22:10

I would bet my G/F would notice she has a bulb out way before she notices that she has a tyre that needs replaced, infact most people would i never go out with a tyre gauge and mesure my tred if it looks worn i take it down to get it checked and thats if i notice, i've never run a tyre out of spec but im sure its easily done. Sorry if 7days is to long to get it fixed but i think to get points for that is just bull, make the driver aware and make them sort it ASAP or further action will be taken.

Jimmie
Saturday 20th December 2008, 21:28

Bit harsh or are you the only one on the road with a car that has'nt got a fault seen or unseen or is it new ?.
Any police force in the UK has the power to issue a prohibitation notice without a fine as you should knowI dont deny the law is there for a reason .
But when you here how stetched they are make your own minds up.

Pliskin
Saturday 20th December 2008, 21:44
Next time I am sure you would probably tell the officer that the bulb must have blown whilst you were on that journey, as you always check your lighting before you set off!!!

AndysR
Saturday 20th December 2008, 21:47
Does sound a bit harsh, but it is a headlight bulb which is quite an important light on the car. If it were a number plate light maybe it would be so bad? Did you not notice that you had a headlight bulb out and didn't the bulb blown system detect it?? Would have saved you £30.00 if it was :(