PDA

View Full Version : taking the sump off

bubbles
Thursday 18th December 2008, 20:17
hi guys just a quick one is it easy to take the sump off a t5 at all ??????????

Ross9
Thursday 18th December 2008, 20:20
someone will be along to say soon enough no doubt. But tbh, have a look, it's a fwd so there probably isn't too much in the way if anything, end of the day if you can get a socket on all the bolts, and there's nothing stopping it dropping down, then it's easy.

Ross

850twr
Friday 19th December 2008, 02:43
Ross thats a sick looking R32! as for the sump im not sure on removal, most likely very easy, just have a look. but i do know the surface of the sump and bottom of the block must be scrapped 100% clean so that it can be re-bonded (and as far as im aware the official liquid gasket from volvo is very expensive) maybe find a cheaper after market equivalent (instant gasket sorta stuff)

bubbles
Friday 19th December 2008, 21:18
cool lads i only want to see how shagged me bottom end bearings are if they is bad i will change the engine

850twr
Saturday 20th December 2008, 01:23
well if your willing to change the engine, just keep driving it until it needs it!

siamblue
Saturday 20th December 2008, 12:40
cool lads i only want to see how shagged me bottom end bearings are if they is bad i will change the engine

I took my engine apart on Thursday and the big ends were gone, funny thing is the previous owner took it for a oil change 2 weeks before it made noises, when i drained the oil it was black so it wasn't changed even though he was charged for it, that's what made the engine fubarred,

Gary

bubbles
Saturday 20th December 2008, 17:24
sorry lads my bearings are shagged i thgink iit broke down about 3 monthgs ago just wanna see how easy it is to change them if they are shagged

t5 pete
Saturday 20th December 2008, 21:47
I took my engine apart on Thursday and the big ends were gone, funny thing is the previous owner took it for a oil change 2 weeks before it made noises, when i drained the oil it was black so it wasn't changed even though he was charged for it, that's what made the engine fubarred,

Gary

what milage did the car have

Niles
Saturday 20th December 2008, 23:46
sorry lads my bearings are shagged i thgink iit broke down about 3 monthgs ago just wanna see how easy it is to change them if they are shagged

did you manage to take the sump off without removing the whole engine?

bubbles
Wednesday 24th December 2008, 18:23
did you manage to take the sump off without removing the whole engine?

no they are really noisey so i am gonna attack it in the new year and i will report back but more than likely i will change the engine if any one could help that is of course

many thanks all have a good christmas

siamblue
Wednesday 24th December 2008, 19:03
what milage did the car have

Hi mate the car had 118,300 when the oil was aparently changed car gave up on 120,500,

Gary

iGGy
Thursday 25th December 2008, 09:00
Just chiming in here with a recollection...a fuzzy one. For some reason I recall a comment about doing the sump removal in-car and the need to bend some bracket/flap attached to the subframe to give the clearance needed to extract the sump. This bending didn't appear to cause an issue with anything.

There are lots of bolts holding it to the block, so make very sure you've got them all out before you start pounding on it to get it off. Easy to miss one when your sight is restricted due to it being in the car.