PDA

View Full Version : S60 R Engines, whats the limitations?

After_Shock
Saturday 7th May 2005, 20:21
I know this is sad but im planning the mods for my S60 R before I have even bought the car, but might aswell be ready and have a plan rather than just take the plunge!

The cubic capacity on this engine is different from the S60 and 70 series T5 engines and the press release crap that Volvo published at its launch basically goes on about how the engine is a bored out specially developed 2.3 T5 engine.

However does anybody know if this engine is capable of taking more power/boost than a standard T5 engine? Im thinking if they have bored it out they will have had to fit new pistons/rods and this would have been an ideal time to resolve the std T5 engines weak spot but is their any evidence to say this has been done?

I know Evolve are claiming about 500bhp on their engined cars but wont reveal any specs on them or whether they have changed any of the internals, also that vid that appeared recently of an S60 R anihilating an M5 only made my curiosity greater, would be good to know how far these engines can be pushed before the project begins.

Ross9
Saturday 7th May 2005, 20:33
Interesting, however just because it was a good opperchancity to improve the internals strenght when changing the pistons size, doesnt mean they did, after all, normally forged stuff costs more, and most manufactureres dont build cars with a view to people tuning them

Ross

After_Shock
Saturday 7th May 2005, 20:38
Yeah thats what im thinking, the rods in the normal T5 engines a really thin so they could have thickened them a bit without adding too much cost and probably allowed say another .2 bar to be ran reliably.

Just curious if anyone actually knows if the internals are stronger.

dave
Saturday 7th May 2005, 21:13
the 2.5L has been used in the s60 awd, s60 2.5t, s40 t5 and others, has been running at 208bhp when it started it's life, then 220 for in recent time, ie s40 t5, from wot they have done to s60 R engine, there's only one thing the 2 engines have in common, is the amount of Litres they both have.

some of changes made on r engine

"Thoroughly modified" translates to a low-restriction intake, two intercoolers, reground camshafts, reinforced pistons, continuously variable valve timing on both inlet and exhaust sides, and a new cylinder head and exhaust manifold. It also means bye-bye to the low-pressure Mitsubishi turbo and hello to a larger KKK unit that more than doubles peak boost to 14.7 psi. The result is 300 ponies peaking at 5500 rpm and 295 pound-feet of torque from 1950 to 5250 rpm."

the guys in the usa, seem to into moding there's R big time, they seem to be running about with 400bhp, with out any problems, no changes to internals, above that i dont know

dave

After_Shock
Saturday 7th May 2005, 21:28
Their is talk of the engines taking 430bhp without reliability problems, however I have no idea what boost this is at!?

The 2.5l engine in the R has a different CC to that in the S60 T5 which is a 2.4l unit and is currently only in the S60/V70 R and the new S40 T5 which is whats stated in the latest brochures at work and according to the mechanic bloke at work.

dave
Saturday 7th May 2005, 22:11
Their is talk of the engines taking 430bhp without reliability problems, however I have no idea what boost this is at!?

The 2.5l engine in the R has a different CC to that in the S60 T5 which is a 2.4l unit and is currently only in the S60/V70 R and the new S40 T5 which is whats stated in the latest brochures at work and according to the mechanic bloke at work.

the new s60 T5 has nicked some of the new stuff from the R engine,

ie

turbo
manfold
dual camshaft timeing

if you look at the volvotuning website, just with a chip the new s60 goes form 260 bhp to 330bhp!

dave

volvotuning
Saturday 7th May 2005, 22:14
Basically the new S60 T5 260 bhp is a detuned S60R, except it's better!!!

Adam.

dave
Saturday 7th May 2005, 22:21
Basically the new S60 T5 260 bhp is a detuned S60R, except it's better!!!

Adam.

but they do have different L, 2.4L and 2.5L

sounds interesting, wot makes the s60 T5 engine better exactly?

dave :)

After_Shock
Saturday 7th May 2005, 22:25
yeah come on adam spill the beans!