PDA

View Full Version : PAS Fluid Woes Advice Please

AndyJudge
Monday 15th December 2008, 19:46
Hi All Wonder if anybody can help me out here ?

Car in Question 2001MY C70 T5 Convertible

My PAS fluid bottle appears to be leaking, or rather it seems to pressurise when the engines running & the fluid is getting out (maybe through the cap)

This morning I found the steering had developed a squeak at full lock & when I removed said cap the PAS fluid was only just on the bottom of the dipstick

Popped up to the local dealers & asked for some PAS fluid & the dealer gave me a bottle of Green Fully Synthetic stuff, however the smidge of Fluid I could register on the dipstick was more an orange colour as oppossed to the bright red seen in my Scooby.

Spoke again with the dealer & he gave me some of the red stuff & I've now topped up the bottle & the squeak has gone.

Questions are

1) Have I purchased the correct stuff there seems to be 2 schools of thought here ?

2) If its the wrong stuff how do I get it drained & replace with the corrrect fluid ? & will the 100ml (max) added do any damage ?

3) How easy it it to swap the PAS bottle ?

Thoughts anybody ? don't really want a big bill to sort it, car sailed through its MOT a month or so ago so I'm sure its not the rack leaking anywhere

Andy

Liddo
Tuesday 16th December 2008, 09:36
Im no expert, but all my PAS fluids have been reddy/orange.

I think you can drain/replace the fluid by disconnecting the return pipe to the res, and as the old fluid pours out, you pour new stuff in to stop air leaks getting into the system. You'll need someone to twirl the steering from lock to lock to do this, and they need to hold it on full lock either way for a few seconds at a time.

I think to replace the PAS res, its a cambelt off job, so you may aswell replace that too :(

Im no expert though as I say, but Im sure one will be along soon ;)

01c70t5
Tuesday 16th December 2008, 11:57
Hi All Wonder if anybody can help me out here ?

Car in Question 2001MY C70 T5 Convertible

My PAS fluid bottle appears to be leaking, or rather it seems to pressurise when the engines running & the fluid is getting out (maybe through the cap)

This morning I found the steering had developed a squeak at full lock & when I removed said cap the PAS fluid was only just on the bottom of the dipstick

Popped up to the local dealers & asked for some PAS fluid & the dealer gave me a bottle of Green Fully Synthetic stuff, however the smidge of Fluid I could register on the dipstick was more an orange colour as oppossed to the bright red seen in my Scooby.

Spoke again with the dealer & he gave me some of the red stuff & I've now topped up the bottle & the squeak has gone.

Questions are

1) Have I purchased the correct stuff there seems to be 2 schools of thought here ?

2) If its the wrong stuff how do I get it drained & replace with the corrrect fluid ? & will the 100ml (max) added do any damage ?

3) How easy it it to swap the PAS bottle ?

Thoughts anybody ? don't really want a big bill to sort it, car sailed through its MOT a month or so ago so I'm sure its not the rack leaking anywhere

Andy

The PAS bottle leaking is a common fault on the T5 by all accounts. I popped mine in to the local garage who changed it and the fluid for about £40. (Note not a dealer, but my friends down at Hallmark)