PDA

View Full Version : noisey problems???

nathT5
Saturday 13th December 2008, 19:22
just a couple of temp related querries for the "experts" amongst us,
my T5 has got a bailey piston DV fitted but when the engines cold it sounds very different,
not so much hiss, more like the standard blow off bassey chirp, WHY???

also i,m still getting the rough boosting sometimes, only when the engine is hot,
its like a pinking, missfire, chirping from the back of the engine and it runs flat while doing this, ideas???
the only thing ive not checked is the actuator, could this be the problem? could it be losing boost?

if so, how do you alter them to cope with extra boost levels???

thanks.....:wink:

stainesy
Saturday 13th December 2008, 19:50
i have a bailey dump valve fitted on mine and when my engine is cold on first start up the dv dont work. and it works better and better as the engine warms up. think maybe the dv has to be at running temp or at least warm to work proply

gazbak1
Saturday 13th December 2008, 22:07
i would of thought when the engine is cold the car should not be running full boost? so as not to cause damage as this is what the later models do.

gazbak1

Volvostorm
Saturday 13th December 2008, 22:39
i have a bailey dump valve fitted on mine and when my engine is cold on first start up the dv dont work. and it works better and better as the engine warms up. think maybe the dv has to be at running temp or at least warm to work proply

I've found that on mine, I get a load moaning noise for the first minute, then it goes back to its normal whistle

walter leever
Saturday 13th December 2008, 23:15
i would of thought when the engine is cold the car should not be running full boost? so as not to cause damage as this is what the later models do.

gazbak1

and voila there you have it:biggrin:

Volvostorm
Saturday 13th December 2008, 23:55
I'm always careful not to give mine too much boot when its cold, lucky, I live 2 miles off the main road, so its always warmed up before it gets some! ;)

t5 pete
Sunday 14th December 2008, 13:29
Hi nath did you fit the standard bcs back or have you still got the mbc on if you have got the bcs on they can go down and cause spikes and a slight miss or lumpy when on full boost also all of the turbo engines ive had are flat on boost when cold if i were you i would only start to boot it when it is fully warm to save engine damage as for the dv not sounding correct i would say its caused by the low of flat boost when cold i wouldnt worrie about it also is it a twin piston dv or a single one due to some single ones are prone to a split diaphram and that can cause problems with misses and spikes

nathT5
Sunday 14th December 2008, 14:05
its a twin piston DV and it still works as it should,
the BCS is back off since i piped it up correctly and it boosted all over the place,
and i never drive it hard from cold but the DV still dumps anyway even at low revs does,nt it?

anyone know anything about adjusting the actuator???

t5 pete
Sunday 14th December 2008, 15:58
im unsure about the acuator my forge dv doesnt dump under 3k and most time it has to be on full boost to get a really good sound out of it i know that there are different strenght springs in the dv myne could be a strong one that takes quite abit of pressure to open if yours is dumping all of the time it could have a weak spring in it did the dv come with the car or did you buy it new

stainesy
Sunday 14th December 2008, 16:17
when my engine is at running temp my dv dumps when anytime i go into boost and lift off. if i only just go into a tiny amount of boost i just get a tiny tsssss but the more boost i go into the bigger the dump. witch is fairly obvious realy LOL

walter leever
Sunday 14th December 2008, 18:33
take in mind that it takes about 8-10 miles before it's really "ready":shockedbi

Volvostorm
Sunday 14th December 2008, 19:46
when my engine is at running temp my dv dumps when anytime i go into boost and lift off. if i only just go into a tiny amount of boost i just get a tiny tsssss but the more boost i go into the bigger the dump. witch is fairly obvious realy LOL

Mine's just the same :)

nathT5
Friday 2nd January 2009, 15:41
found out the other day why the DV sounds different when cold.
when the car is first started the DV is half open for quite a while, must be a vacume of some sort.
not sure why but T5pete,s does exactly the same and i bet everyone elses does too???

i,m learning new things every day ;)