PDA

View Full Version : ICE help!! Advice needed

Niles
Saturday 13th December 2008, 02:07
Ok, just got me a JVC headunit, 4v outputs for the front, rear & sub & a 12 disc CD changer. My 850 has the front speakers upgraded to Infinity components, in the rear doors are the standard 850 speakers, on my boot floor are a pair of infinity 6x9's powered by a sony 2x125w Rms amp, I have a Vibe 500w active sub in the boot (estate car), the front speakers are powered by the head unit as are the rear door speakers, id like to upgrade the front & rear doors to 'powered'.
Problem, I can use the 'front' output for the front doors, the rear doors id like to be powered by their own amp but don't want to split or share the 'rear' output front the head unit that's currently being used by the boot floor speakers/amp. how can I get 2 'rear' outputs without going 'passive'? Id like to keep the 4V output power.

thebadger
Saturday 13th December 2008, 03:18
Have you considered an amp with a hi input set?

you can take a feed off the inputs to the speakers... & it steps it down to RCA power for the amp to use.

I may be missing your point tho....

Niles
Saturday 13th December 2008, 10:52
i did think that, just didn't know if there's another way of doing it without using the hugh input. Thanks!

Jon K
Saturday 13th December 2008, 11:51
Hi Niles,

This is all down to opinion of course but basically I think you are trying to run too many speakers. If you mix the head unit amp with an external amp you will not be getting the best out of your infinity speakers. If you go for external amps you want all of your speakers to be running from external amps. It sounds like that is the way you want to go.

I have upgraded components in the front and moved to 16.5 cm coaxial speakers in the rear doors (not bothering with the boot tweeters). All of these speakers are amplified and it sounds amazing. I have ordered a sub and that is the next job.

My amp is a 4 channel jobbie and it has a function where you can disable the fader. I believe this is so you can have 2 pairs of outputs from one input. I have not tried it and I dont want to fiddle with the set up or I will have to re calibrate but I suspect that is the proper solution to your problem. Assunimg I have understood it right :wink:

I hope that helps

Niles
Saturday 13th December 2008, 17:22
Amplified all round jon, thats the way I want to go. I thought that the rear speakers in the doors are 12cm, how did you squeeze 16.5cm's speakers in? Mines an estate 850 btw.
Piccy of my boot floors amplified (125w RMS) Infinity 6x9's......
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b91/camelbeanie/2007_0711rearlights0078.jpg
Or would you prefer a piccy with V70 rear lights? lol
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b91/camelbeanie/2007_0711rearlights0079.jpg

Jon K
Saturday 13th December 2008, 21:12
I just checked to make sure and they are 6.5 inch so 16cm (JL audio XR650)

Basically I made a spacer out of 1" (approx) MDF. You probably dont need to go that thick but I had some kicking around.

Then I have put dynamat behind the door and also dynamat on the inside of the outer doorskin while I was upgrading to elec windows.

The hardest bit was getting the speaker wires through the rubber door wire guide thingys.

Now I just need to do the sub and also trim (cover) my spacers.

I have a genuine 4x75 W and the wife can hear it in the house while it is in the garage with the doors closed so I think that is loud enough for me. the clarity of sound is excellent which is what I am going for.