PDA

View Full Version : VT's Dyno day!

Mrsmopp
Saturday 7th May 2005, 17:37
Fab day!! Albeit a little chilly!!

All power was measured at the wheels to make it a fairer day for the manual/auto thing and some good results were acheived.

JoJo made 232 @ the wheels with 300lbs torque which we were quite pleased with considering she is suffering under load (spark plugs we think)

VT were the perfect hosts and really made the day worthwhile, great food (thanks Dave) and great hospitality along with good conversation and a carpark full of T5's - what more could you ask for!!

Some of those those cars made for phenomenal entertainment!!

We will definately have to do this again later on in the year!

MANY THANKS TO VOLVO TUNING FOR A GREAT DAY!

x

rich850t5
Saturday 7th May 2005, 17:41
looks like i'll have to get my oil leak fixed in time for the next one,sounds like you had fun!

elliot
Saturday 7th May 2005, 18:09
what was the highest,anybody break 260whp??

Justin
Saturday 7th May 2005, 18:58
A great day, catering was spectacular, and the facilities were fantastic, Volvo tuning really made the effort and it showed, many thanks and well done :)

The graphs of all of the cars run today will be up soon on the gallery, but for now, here are my pictures from the day.

Nice to meet you all, Hamishs car made over 260whp and so did the C70 with a 19T and remap.

http://www.volvot5.co.uk/volvogallery/thumbnails.php?album=156

After_Shock
Saturday 7th May 2005, 19:14
Looked like a good day, whose is the black C70? Reminds me of my old car alot!

Justin
Saturday 7th May 2005, 19:26
That would be Mark from Salvo, awesome looking car ;)

After_Shock
Saturday 7th May 2005, 19:27
Yeah does look good, do you know what suspension he had fitted?

Ross9
Saturday 7th May 2005, 19:28
Sounds like a good day, we were at Dastek in Scotland as well, place that build and supply RR's, and the UK HQ for unichip, Jacq has a post up elsewhere about her results.

She made 260bhp (235 @ wheels) and 305 lb/ft in the T4, and I ran the Rover in an unfinished state at 15/16psi, 250 bhp (229 @ wheels) and 260 lb/ft, making it 225 bhp and 236 lb/ft per tonne :)

Excellent pics, I look forward to pouring over the graphs when they go up, sounds like you all had a great day out, thumbs up to VT then for putting it on :)

Ross

Andrew
Saturday 7th May 2005, 19:32
Although I was only there for 5 hours (half a day for most) I had a great time. Great to put faces to names and shake some hands. Dave's BBQ went down a storm - well done that man! Parking was fun but we managed.

Thanks to VT for hosting us. I was pretty happy with my 226 at the wheels (not bad for a 129k auto). The only downside is the 300+ quid I've convinced myself to spend on a Miltek exahust after hearing some of the other cars puuuurrrrrinnnnggg ......

After_Shock
Saturday 7th May 2005, 19:45
The exhaust will be more than worth it, you need to let that engine breath and the best bit as you have noticed is the noise, mmmm!

vt5
Saturday 7th May 2005, 19:47
Shame i missed it too folks....work!!

I'll definately make the next one though.

I love the burnt orange R's looks awesome

mulletboy2
Saturday 7th May 2005, 20:01
Had an excellent day. Food was great, VT did a superb job, and was good to see so many cars and people there.

Well happy with Nookie's results - she did 243bhp @ the wheels, and 308lb/ft.. not bad for an old girl :D

volvotuning
Saturday 7th May 2005, 21:39
Glad you all enjoyed the day! Great to see so many people. Next time will be even better - the dyno fan will be much bigger for sure. Apologies for the technical hitch mid way through. :slap:

We enjoyed the day too, so thanks to all of you!

Adam.

rich850t5
Saturday 7th May 2005, 21:49
Did anyone get any of it on film????????????(video)

Salvo
Saturday 7th May 2005, 23:21
Glad you all enjoyed the day! Great to see so many people. Next time will be even better - the dyno fan will be much bigger for sure. Apologies for the technical hitch mid way through. :slap:

We enjoyed the day too, so thanks to all of you!

Adam.
Id just like to take a quick minute to say thankyou to everyone at vt for a fantastic day,they made a real effort and it paid off,you can definatley count me in for the next one.cheers
it was also great meeting everyone else who went and picked up some great ideas aswell,speak to all soon,best regards mark(black c70)

After_Shock
Saturday 7th May 2005, 23:24
Ah mark, whats the specs on your black C70?

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 8th May 2005, 00:08
Mark has a black 2.5 LPT which broke the 200 whp!! (well done). It looks really foxy and I mean that. He has these odd kinda mirror tints which seem to come 1/2 way down the windows. The black looks awesome due to some super wax treatment he has had done on the car (more details please).

As for me. I had a really fab time. I got in early to help setup. When I arrived I found that Hamish had run out of petrol and was stranded about 1/4 mile short.
Wobbly Dave to the rescue!

Got my bit set up. I was really chuffed to see all the Swedish metal on show.

The staff at VT did us all proud - so my personal huge thanks for letting us christen their dyno! Remember folks - we were there first!!

I know that initially parking was a problem with so many T5s and I would that everyone especially Carl for being patient.

Sadly the pressure from the BBQ initially was nowhere near that of turbos and I would thank you all for waiting so patiently. I hope you enjoyed the food.

I was very happy with how the day went. It was (unlike well-lame-turbo-centre) as much a day out as a dyno day - something sadly lacking from the trip to Yorkshire.

I was very pleased with how my car ran - a few more bugs to iron out, but I will get there.

I have a few more shots to come out and hopefully swell the gallery.

A big thanks to all that came and a big thanks to all the staff at HLM for all their hard work in making the day a big success.

C U All AT MY BBQ!!

DaveS60D5
Sunday 8th May 2005, 00:21
Yes! Thanks to VT & Dave for an enjoyable day, highlighted the fact I need to bite the bullet and throw some cash at mine as it seems to have some sort of misfire / inefficency when at full boost and over 5000 rpm, but I strongly believe this is down to 8 month old plugs full of crap and no new HT leads for over a year (gulp) :redface:

Time for some well deserved TLC and a service for Amber me thinks :)

Still got 231 @ the wheels though so fairly pleased - rather like my school reports used to read...

"Must try harder" ;)

Pedro Fandango
Sunday 8th May 2005, 10:25
thanks to VT & everyone for a quality day (even though i got demoted to the car park with the french sh*te lol). Excellent to me everyone again & a few more new faces (that i'll forget who you are next time we meet sorry :slap: ). Watching all those others on the dyno really made me with i could have put BT on there :frown:

Thanks Lance for taking the wheels for me & Guy for the DVD (top notch very impressive mate)

SaffronC70
Sunday 8th May 2005, 12:06
Hi guys, big thanks for the guys who organised the day to special thanks to Dave for BBQing and entertaining.

I was very pleased with my jet fighter exhaust note and 266wbhp :)

Looking forward to doing it again with the action movie special effects fan - to stop the darn heat soak making my ME7 cry.

Thanks all, nice to see you again !

Chris

TangoDeltaSierra3
Sunday 8th May 2005, 12:38
So is somebody posting a simple list of car and power to save scanning thru the printouts ? :B_steerin

volvotuning
Sunday 8th May 2005, 12:47
All the charts will be emailed to Justin as JPG files on Monday so no need to scan anything in. The dyno computer makes life easy in this respect!

Adam.

chriskay
Sunday 8th May 2005, 12:49
Nice to meet everyone; thanks to VT & Dave (running on low gas). Fitted my new plug lead set today. I'll swear I could have changed an engine in the same time 30 years ago. Oh well, that's old age for you. (Need a smilie of an old fart leaning on a Zimmer frame)
Cheers, Chris.

jp850R
Sunday 8th May 2005, 21:57
Hi all, a very big thank you to everyone sat, especially vt and dave for the great food. It was my first time meetin lots of people off the forum and what a great bunch (thanks all), it was also my first time at a rollin road, wat a brill day in all, after travelling 140 odd miles up there was made very welcome and was very impressed with the 228 from my stock 855R.

Cheers mikej.

Many thanks all,jon

Vikingxl
Monday 9th May 2005, 06:54
Just a quick hello to say it was good to meet a few of you on saturday at volvo tuning.I couldnt stay long due to working the night before but had a good time.Thanks to justin for the stickers (now in the car) and to dave850r for the springs which will hopefully be fitted soon.Cheers

siamblue
Monday 9th May 2005, 09:12
Hi guys, big thanks for the guys who organised the day to special thanks to Dave for BBQing and entertaining.

I was very pleased with my jet fighter exhaust note and 266wbhp :)

Looking forward to doing it again with the action movie special effects fan - to stop the darn heat soak making my ME7 cry.

Thanks all, nice to see you again !

Chris

Hi All,Wow what a Saturday and Sunday i had, It was great to meet you all again,Midlands Hospitality is totally different to what i am used too, You guys seem to really pull off these great meets, Many thanks to everyone involved, A fantastic day, Chris's C70 noise was something else, Mark's Black C70 was absolutely gorgeous even though it was dirty lol,

Will see you all at wobbly's BBQ, I am sure he won't run out of gas next time,HAAHAHA.

MattV70
Monday 9th May 2005, 09:28
Well what can i say, i think everybody's said everything that i was gonna say! It was nice to meet you all finally, thanks to VT for the cracking day, and wobbly for the catering.

I was well impressed with the 234 ponies from a stock engine. Can't wait for the result once it's Rica'd!

Thanks to all, and i'll look forwards to the same again later in the year!

Ian C70T5
Monday 9th May 2005, 10:37
I thought the day was great, VT were the bests hosts you could ask for. Clear safety instructions, after that their usual great standard applied to the day..

Food was very very good, cheers chef Dave..

I was disappointed with the power reading, but felt better knowing that the car suffered heatsoak and didnt peak properly above 4500, last RR i done it peak powered at 6108rpm.. Definately be back when the big fan is in..

RR is VERY impressive, no messing about, drive on strap DRIVE and drive off.. Very awesome..

Great to meet everyone, put faces to names etc.

After seeing/hearing chris' C70 I WANT A 19T Turbo... I WANT I WANT!!!

Andrew
Monday 9th May 2005, 16:18
Hmm after hearing about all this stock cars with higher numbers than my RICA'd beast I'm beginning to feel a little disapointed in the old girl... :(

volvotuning
Monday 9th May 2005, 18:12
Yours is auto remember. And besides, we can do diagnostics on the dyno if you want, but wait for our bigger fan to arrive.

Adam.

Andrew
Monday 9th May 2005, 18:26
Yours is auto remember. And besides, we can do diagnostics on the dyno if you want, but wait for our bigger fan to arrive.

Adam.

Yes it's an auto but would you expect it to loose upto 79bhp through the box and other little bits?

I've sent you a pm regarding the diagnostics.

volvotuning
Monday 9th May 2005, 19:04
Yes it's an auto but would you expect it to loose upto 79bhp through the box and other little bits?

I've sent you a pm regarding the diagnostics.

One of my customers took a bog standard S60 T5 250 bhp to PE for a dyno run, and it came out with 150 bhp @ wheels. That's 100 bhp loss according to their dyno. Not saying that they're right or wrong, but autos do absorb much more power than manuals.

Adam.

SaffronC70
Monday 9th May 2005, 21:33
After seeing/hearing chris' C70 I WANT A 19T Turbo... I WANT I WANT!!!

I was suprised at the noise it made ! As far as I knew, it was quieter than standard when I was driving around !

Wish I had a cam corder :slap: (que Guy for his next DVD!)

Chris

Andrew
Monday 9th May 2005, 21:58
Yes but that's power engineering - hardly fair when it comes to autos! Anyway we digress sent you PM lets get this thread back on track. I did enjoy the day just disapointed in the old girl not VT!

Wobbly Dave
Monday 9th May 2005, 22:27
Andrew,
In many respects you and I have very similar cars. We both have new turbos, new/recon AT boxes amd a Stage 1 RICA remap. Agreed?

I ran a ~220 bhp at the wheels, you ran ~230 bhp. These figures are still pretty awesome.

/RANT ON:

IMHO you need to experience and drive a lot more T5's to understand the difference. I am lucky - I have seen both sides of the coin. I have driven/ragged the arse off many a T5, and to my way of thinking there is so little in it - I really wouldn't lose any sleep over it. A torque converter will amplify the torque coming from the flywheel! That is a god given fact which is why ATs are quicker off the mark. When you get to the top end there is some loss which you do not get with the manuals. I really do not wish to get into a pissing contest with the manual drivers - god know I love both sets of transmission. You just cannot beat the point and shoot capability of the autos. I spent some considerable time with Gary (siamblue) doing a change over on of suspension all 4 corners. I drove his car (S70 T5) around Brum and had a great time. In the power band you really do fly. If you are not in the power band the thing moves like a dog!
I got berated by Simon Lock (855T5r - now banned!!) for trying to tune an auto? WTF - I can get closer to stuff from the line than anyone else. I have 2.3 second 60FT times which is pretty damn awesome for a lump of red swedish metal. Please Please don't be down on the old girl. I know that Adam does not like the ATs anyway - or at least dyno-ing them. They are a bugger to dyno properly BTW so big applause to VT for doing a proper job. Why else would I lend my car over to them for a full afternoon for them to practice?

Ask Gary about my car.
Ask Justin about my car.
Both were very complimentary about the immediacy of the power!!

So as I see it...It really boils down to personal pref. There is sooo little in it - maybe the MTs have slight power edge but not much - it really doesnt matter. Top end silly speeds then yes - you are right - go buy a manual. Traffic jams and the real world then I would rather save the cramp in my left leg.

Dont be so hard on the old girl. FFS you have a car over 100K old and it is still capable of outstripping most of the cars on the open road!!

RANT OFF\

Next time some bully boy in his CTR/Scooby tries it on - destroy them and smile

Just ENJOY!!

mulletboy2
Monday 9th May 2005, 22:34
Just to add to Dave's rant a little... Nookie hit 243whp on the dyno, and yet only a week or so ago, Dave and I went and had a little play on a private road, and we were literally bumper to bumper for a good 1/4m, until I decided that he was probably holding back so that he didn't go up my ar5e-end...

Aside from the valid points above, you also have to bear in mind that torque is the more important figure, not bhp, and that a peak value means relatively little in the greater scheme of things :)

Justin
Monday 9th May 2005, 22:42
Well said lads, couldn't agree more.

:B_steerin

Wobbly Dave
Monday 9th May 2005, 22:57
I have added some more to my rant above. I fitted the ATF after cooler to AC's car and it is an awesome car. I would appreciate some MT perspective on this - so if J would oblige his own experience*???

*(based on his own test drive of the 850R auto last week)

I am getting a bit over wrought by this - but I really want Andrew to believe in that car!

Justin
Monday 9th May 2005, 23:02
Each to their own, its personal preference, however after driving yours the other day Dave, its an eye opener, so smooth and powerful, the point is that you can never get a true bhp figure from an auto, Daves made 220 bhp @ the wheels, however it would only produce 1 bar on the dyno, as opposed to 1.2 on the road, figures mean nowt, get out there and show the scoobies how its done, then see how ya feel :)

Wobbly Dave
Monday 9th May 2005, 23:16
Cheers J. You are a Gent. I hope Andrew you feel somewhat more confident in the old girl!

Andrew
Tuesday 10th May 2005, 07:04
Geez Dave - I know you love these cars but enough already ;)

S O R R Y ! :)

*runs and hides behind a daewoo so Dave won't find him*

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 10th May 2005, 09:10
Oh dear :rolleyes: I have just one thing to add; a dyno isn't real world testing - it may be worth remembering that!

x

lance
Tuesday 10th May 2005, 11:38
Having driven Daves car too , all I can say is its awsome whatever the output!
Like already said its how the car drives ultimatly not the figure you get on the dyno, even though Daves managed 220 whp it also managed 160 mph.
How many nearley 10 year old family estates with 150 k on the clock can u say that about?

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 10th May 2005, 12:44
Sorry!! I think I was on something last night. I am not having a go at Andrew - I am hoping he can come out now!

I think my aim was to encourage rather than rant but I am not sure that it turned out that way

jp850R
Tuesday 10th May 2005, 15:21
Hear hear, well said :)

Justin
Tuesday 10th May 2005, 15:32
I have now deleted the side track....Back to VT's Dyno day please :)

Gwaredd
Tuesday 10th May 2005, 16:12
Boooring. Take time out to talk about cars for a bit, & all my ham fisted typing is gone in one swift click of the mouse.

Please forgive me, I'm too used to Evo forum where a topic is allowed to run slightly off-track, & opinions can be aired, without being wiped from the face of the interweb forever. :wtf:

I.ve resisted saying it, & it's a fantastic place for how to info etc - don't get me wrong, but this place does fall into the 'one make clique' from time -to -time.

Cheers,

Gwaredd.

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 10th May 2005, 16:14
Boooring. Take time out to talk about cars for a bit, & all my ham fisted typing is gone in one swift click of the mouse.

Please forgive me, I'm too used to Evo forum where a topic is allowed to run slightly off-track, & opinions can be aired, without being wiped from the face of the interweb forever. :wtf:

I.ve resisted saying it, & it's a fantastic place for how to info etc - don't get me wrong, but this place does fall into the 'one make clique' from time -to -time.

Cheers,

Gwaredd.

Start a new thread if you are that passionate about it!

As for the "one make clique" YES! Thats why we are Volvot5.co.uk not randomcars.co.uk! :rolleyes:

If you want to talk about something specific then start a new thread on it dont hijack something else.

Thanks
x

Gwaredd
Tuesday 10th May 2005, 16:32
No hijacking as well? FFS, it's like being back at MSN chat rooms when I was 16.

BTW, a Clique is a bad thing.

Gwaredd.

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 10th May 2005, 16:36
No hijacking as well? FFS, it's like being back at MSN chat rooms when I was 16.

BTW, a Clique is a bad thing.

Gwaredd.

Whats with the bad attitude! You dont have to stay here you know?

BTW - a clique is a small exclusive group so whats wrong with that? We are a small exclusive group compared to some websites so i am not sure what your point is?

x

Gwaredd
Tuesday 10th May 2005, 16:47
See, you're kinda going off topic now, your thread will be deleted & the whole debate will die on it's arse just when it was getting interesting.

See other thread.

Cheers,

Gwaredd.

TangoDeltaSierra3
Wednesday 11th May 2005, 00:46
What da Fu*K is all this click Sh*t about, FFs grow up whoever wants a fight or an argument legg it sumwhere else , i found tonights read ups so boring, i've met a fair few of youz reading this, likewise u migh have met av met me too, lets just get on together, its kinda making me not want to check the posts actually. BIG UP DAVEtoo!

Justin
Wednesday 11th May 2005, 08:29
New pics have been added in the gallery people :)

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 11th May 2005, 08:31
I hope you all like them. My camera is old and leaks light in places.

mulletboy2
Wednesday 11th May 2005, 09:47
Great pics Dave :D

I didn't realise until yesterday, but not only did VT tighten Nookie's turbo nuts on the day, but I think they also replaced the dead headlight bulb (unless it mysteriously started working on its own again)? Thanks guys! :D

Andrew
Sunday 12th June 2005, 01:02
Chaps - have we had the figures emailed over yet - this seems to have dropped down a crack somewhere.