PDA

View Full Version : How much boost??

jer,c70
Thursday 11th December 2008, 14:15
How much boost should my 1999 c70 gt T5 (me7) be running?
when i plant my foot the boost guage shows just over 8 psi but if i keep my foot planted the guage will slowly drop to 5 psi and stay there, i have spoken to my local garage an they have said that this is right, the ecu brings the boost preasure down to keep emisions down...... i think this is a load of old S#\T!
The boost i am running is not enough! i have tryed using a manual boost controller but it didnt do any thing at all, apart from the car would only run 5 psi all the time.
do i have to get a remap or a ppc from rica or bsr? this is quite expensive is there a cheeper way of getting the same results?

samadkins29
Thursday 11th December 2008, 14:22
Yea mbc's only work on 98 and before. Your ecu is thinking the car is over boosting and is now limiting it to 5psi. You ALWAYS get psi drop off at the end. It should hold 8psi to 4th gear though.

I dont know what ecu's are avail in uk. But we have speed chips over here that run about $300, im sure their is a uk equivalent.

jer,c70
Thursday 11th December 2008, 15:01
Yea mbc's only work on 98 and before. Your ecu is thinking the car is over boosting and is now limiting it to 5psi. You ALWAYS get psi drop off at the end. It should hold 8psi to 4th gear though.

I dont know what ecu's are avail in uk. But we have speed chips over here that run about $300, im sure their is a uk equivalent.

yeah it holds 8 psi untill i hit 4th then gos up to 8 psi then drops to 5psi, i thought it might be my turbo control valve....
is there any way of checking that it is working properly?

irf
Thursday 11th December 2008, 17:38
if you haven't already, take the mbc off. An ME7 won't let you play with those. then read the codes and clear them. i'd guess at either your BCS(40 quid from volvo) or a boost leak.

Alan M
Thursday 11th December 2008, 22:30
:stupid:I'd go with Irf's post:stupid:

jer,c70
Friday 12th December 2008, 02:01
if you haven't already, take the mbc off. An ME7 won't let you play with those. then read the codes and clear them. i'd guess at either your BCS(40 quid from volvo) or a boost leak.

thanks irf .. i took the mbc off and the car went back to normal (8psi droping to 5) but has not thrown up any codes... im gona get a new bcs from ipd and see if it makes a difference......
do you no what boost i should be running?

BruceT
Friday 12th December 2008, 08:59
10 ish and only dropping slightly at redline from what ive read over the past year

Alan M
Friday 12th December 2008, 09:00
thanks irf .. i took the mbc off and the car went back to normal (8psi droping to 5) but has not thrown up any codes... im gona get a new bcs from ipd and see if it makes a difference......
do you no what boost i should be running?

Why buy a BCS from IPD when you can get an S60r one from Rufe for £40. I have a phase 2 T5 one on my 850 T5 and its brilliant.

siamblue
Friday 12th December 2008, 10:10
Check your actuator first,

Gary

jer,c70
Friday 12th December 2008, 21:59
Why buy a BCS from IPD when you can get an S60r one from Rufe for £40. I have a phase 2 T5 one on my 850 T5 and its brilliant.

who is rufe???
have you got a web address or phone no. ??????

Wombatbomb
Friday 12th December 2008, 22:01
Rufe = http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/member.php?u=544

jer,c70
Friday 12th December 2008, 22:01
Check your actuator first,

Gary

how do i check the actuator?

jer,c70
Friday 12th December 2008, 22:03
thanks wombat