PDA

View Full Version : Solar battery charger

96T5Andy
Wednesday 10th December 2008, 20:45
Hi -
Changed jobs recently and no longer have to commute.
As a result the 35 mile round trip I used to moan about I now rather miss.
And so does the car, the battery was a little flat after a fairly long period without use.

I indended to fit a solar batter charger, and just plug it into the cigarette lighter to keep it topped up. Unfortunately though when keys are removed the connection to cigarrette lighter is lost.

My plan is now to turn interior light on, remove bulb and patch in the connection to the solar charger where the bulb was.

I havnt yet looked at the wiring diagrams but wondered has anyone done this, or can anyone suggest an alternative point to wire it in. Ideally without having to poke cables through the bulkhead and accross the engine bay.

Thanks
Andy

samadkins29
Thursday 11th December 2008, 13:15
this doesnt seem very cost worthy. I mean whats the price of a new battery compared to the price of the solar panels? Is the car sitting for months between uses?

96T5Andy
Thursday 11th December 2008, 20:59
More as a safeguard really. Rather fork out £10 for a solar charger and not have to worry about the possibility of it getting too run down again. The battery is only 1 year old anyway so I shouldn't need a new one.