PDA

View Full Version : Check your rear strut mounts.

vt5
Saturday 7th May 2005, 08:05
I decided yesterday to get round to replacing my rear strut mounts.

If you are getting any crashing thump noises when going over potholes or speed bumps then it would be worth checking these.

New mounts were £13 + VAT from Euro car parts and £20 to fit taking about 20 minutes or so. Seemed easy enough home job if youve got the right tools.

Anyway, what a difference, now the whole of the rear of the car seems to be connected to the body and not like its just coming along for the ride. Its nice and quiet and feels alot more rigid than before.

Saying that though both mounts had completely snapped in half and one of the metal cups had also cracked and broken off completely and i found it just sat ontop of the floor near where its supposed to be! Pretty fair to say it was broken.

siamblue
Monday 9th May 2005, 09:57
I decided yesterday to get round to replacing my rear strut mounts.

If you are getting any crashing thump noises when going over potholes or speed bumps then it would be worth checking these.

New mounts were £13 + VAT from Euro car parts and £20 to fit taking about 20 minutes or so. Seemed easy enough home job if youve got the right tools.

Anyway, what a difference, now the whole of the rear of the car seems to be connected to the body and not like its just coming along for the ride. Its nice and quiet and feels alot more rigid than before.

Saying that though both mounts had completely snapped in half and one of the metal cups had also cracked and broken off completely and i found it just sat ontop of the floor near where its supposed to be! Pretty fair to say it was broken.

Wobbly Dave what you reckon 20 minutes for us? Our captivated nut decided to come away from the body on the nearside rear, so they bolt was partially undone,It took nearly 2 hours to do one side,Eventually we hacksawed it off and replaced the bolt, All we were doing was replacing the rear spring,Haynes said removed the shock and top mount, When all we had to do was undo the top shock nut 18mm.A big big thanks to Dave yesterday your patience were truelly pushed to breaking point I owe you bigtime it was nice to get out in the car eventually with Dave at the helm of a manual car,
Can't believe Just one one bolt. Which took longet than to replace the front Complete struts and springs. Bloody cars.
One of the highlights of the day was Dave on more than one occasion calling a torque wrench a torque converter he is really obsessed with this Auto talk hahaha.
Dave you are a star mate.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 9th May 2005, 13:02
bloody haynes book of lies!! :icon_soap

I thought the main difficulties would lie in the steering knuckle/shock bolts on the front. Thankfully they came off relatively easily (use lots of penetrating oil before hand!!)

Apart from that one thing on the back end the job went relatively smoothly.

Oh and it rained on us a few times too!

Gary, it was a pleasure having you over.

nikgallagher
Monday 9th May 2005, 13:09
Don't s'pose you two are planning on putting together a 'How to' for this job are you? I'm sure there are a few members (including me!!) who would benefit from your grazed knuckles! ;-)

Wobbly Dave
Monday 9th May 2005, 13:24
Sorry I was so busy getting it done I didnt have time to do photos. Next time I do the job I will ensure a digital camera is available.

My top tip is take your time and don't rush it and use loads of penetrating oil.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 9th May 2005, 13:27
Nik if you wanna plan a day out (and you have pre-assembled struts) then I will happily to it with you. Or I can come down and see you.

I am NOT TOUCHING A SPRING COMPRESSOR!! I value my limbs and fingers.

nikgallagher
Monday 9th May 2005, 13:36
Cheers Dave. When I get round to buying the new boingy bits I think a drive up to brumland will definately be on the cards. Would be nice to combine the journey with a trip to VT too, but all in that will be a weekend that needs some serious saving for. Better stop using the gas and electricity at home for a while! Are suspension kits similarly priced to seperate components then? Didn't realise that spring compressors were that hairy. Also, people have inferred that the rears are fairly straightforward, but how easy are they to get back in the right place (locating bolts have to be staked in place and stuff don't they?)?

Wobbly Dave
Monday 9th May 2005, 14:58
The rears are dead simple - it was only that we were misdirected by Haynes and then ran into an unforeseen problem.

Spring compressors are not hairy. Using them however is something I don't wanna try. The time and the forces involved in compressing volvo front springs is just something I'd rather let someone else do. My suggestion would be to buy all 4 main bits required for a front strut build -
Top mount bearing with related nuts
Top mount spring seat
Shock absorber
Spring

Using spring compressors is a bit like playing russian roulette IMHO.
I saw the chunk that was missing from Hamish's hand on one of the more recent jobs - and he has air tools and does it often!! :jaw:
You can get the related nuts from a breakers yard. Get someone else to build the strut and I will happily fit them. I also suggest replacing the anti-roll bar drop links at the same time.