PDA

View Full Version : V70R suspension options

MisterC1501
Wednesday 10th December 2008, 10:19
Now that I've decided to keep my car, I will in the near future be looking at options for my suspension.

I don't really want to lower the car, since I feel that it is low enough plus the road to my house has speed bumps.

Apart from replacing struts with genuine items, what other options are there for my car.

Also, my car has the nivomats on the rear, so do I replace these at the same time as the fronts, or can I leave these as they are?

What are the advantages of coilovers over standard struts.

many thanks

Terminator
Wednesday 10th December 2008, 14:57
You have various options with the fronts; OE (Sachs/Boge), Bilstein Gas or Koni Sports are favourites (Try Euro Car Parts or GSF). Suggest you leave the Nivos as there are not many alternative options other than Ohlins or Intrax which are mega pricey. Rufe at FRF will do you a good deal on replacement Nivos (about £190 each) if yours are leaking and need replacing. I am not a great fan of coilovers which mean more expense especially if your stock springs are sound.

MisterC1501
Sunday 21st December 2008, 22:46
What have other V70R owners replaced their standard set-up with, and are you happy with it.

t5 pete
Sunday 21st December 2008, 23:03
i have koni fsd's on myne and there ride adjustment which means they adjust to how you drive the car i think there bril

MisterC1501
Sunday 21st December 2008, 23:25
Thanks Pete

Can you fit the standard springs on the konis? Don't want to lower my car as I feel it is low enough. Plus, access to my house has speed bumps, so I don't want to scrape my belly on the floor...the car that is.....

t5 pete
Sunday 21st December 2008, 23:28
thats what the fsd's are designed for and work best with the original springs i would recomened them to any one they are the tops

Terminator
Monday 22nd December 2008, 11:37
Pete,

I think the suspension set up on the V70R differs from that on the 850 in that you cannot replace the Nivos at the rear with Koni FSDs. I stand to be corrected though.

t5 pete
Monday 22nd December 2008, 17:37
i would have just thought the nivos can be changed due to them only being the shocker and the different top mount the nivos are a larger diamiter to the fsd's (they are on the 850's) so clearence wouldnt be a problem so appart from changing the top mounts to accomadate the koni's i cant see a problem but it would be good to do some reaserch and find out for 100% if it can be done

Volvostorm
Monday 22nd December 2008, 18:34
Sorry to hijack, but I'm being to wonder if my Nivomats are starting to go, I'm getting a 'puffing' noise when it goes over bumps!

Now, I'm not bothered about the self-levelling, can I just change the shocks and top bush for a normal shocks and away I go?

Quicksilver
Monday 22nd December 2008, 19:39
Having read other threads on this subject if you replace the nivos you have replace the springs also.

If you read the thread on how nivos work you'll see they do the job of spring and shock so the coil springs on a nivo car are a much lighter rate than a standard car, so I've been told if you replace the nivos with a normal shock absorber the springs will sag thus lowering the rear and be softer.

I stand to be correted, just what I've read in he past.

dave854
Tuesday 14th April 2009, 14:10
Should the Nivomats be replaced as a pair or can they be replaced as one? I've got one that is very oily on the bottom so needs to be bined. I'll drop Rufe a message at sompoint to get an updated price.

5seaterT5x2
Tuesday 14th April 2009, 14:25
was offered MONROE LOAD LEVELERS by steve at Braydons the other day £130 odd seems they are straight forward replacements for nivomats, aint been to have a look yet but think that might do for me. Monroes should be ok i'dve thought for most driving?

Terminator
Tuesday 14th April 2009, 18:14
was offered MONROE LOAD LEVELERS by steve at Braydons the other day £130 odd seems they are straight forward replacements for nivomats, aint been to have a look yet but think that might do for me. Monroes should be ok i'dve thought for most driving?

I would be surprised if these are effective replacements for Nivomats as the Monroe Load Levellers are a shock with an integrated spring. Nivomats are stand alone shocks which work in conjunction with a stand alone, separately mounted spring.

LeeT5
Tuesday 21st April 2009, 17:36
Sorry to hijack, but I'm being to wonder if my Nivomats are starting to go, I'm getting a 'puffing' noise when it goes over bumps!

Now, I'm not bothered about the self-levelling, can I just change the shocks and top bush for a normal shocks and away I go?

That 'Puffing' noise is your front shocks as they compress and decompress. The rear Nivos do not make any noise.

Also, as i understand it, you must replace the springs if you change the nivos for shocks as the springs are softer. The nivos control the ride height where as in a normal set up with springs and shocks it's the springs that control the ride height. Please...correct me if i am wrong!

LeeT5
Tuesday 21st April 2009, 17:37
Should the Nivomats be replaced as a pair or can they be replaced as one? I've got one that is very oily on the bottom so needs to be bined. I'll drop Rufe a message at sompoint to get an updated price.

ALWAYS replace as a pair even if it's a spring!!!

LeeT5
Tuesday 21st April 2009, 17:38
Having read other threads on this subject if you replace the nivos you have replace the springs also.

If you read the thread on how nivos work you'll see they do the job of spring and shock so the coil springs on a nivo car are a much lighter rate than a standard car, so I've been told if you replace the nivos with a normal shock absorber the springs will sag thus lowering the rear and be softer.

I stand to be correted, just what I've read in he past.

You are correct!

Nico20V
Wednesday 29th July 2009, 08:30
I've been looking at these myself too. Kit FSD Complete looks to be 430. Eibach springs another 200, even though the rears would be needed only I think given comments above.

I had some FK coilovers on my last modded car and in stainless for 550 with a choise of srping rates werer superb. But it seems the KW Variant 2 I might otherwise go for are 998 which is still a stretch from 630 I guess.

I'm the same about the ride height MrC. Mines a safron V70R (97) and I'm perfectly happy with the factory set lowering height, and wouldn't want to change it, which I fear different springs and or shocks are bound to effect one way or the other.

If the new dampers would not effect the ride height, but we need to replace the srpings on the rear cos of the nevo's, how do we determine what our effective factory lowering is versus the stated drop for the eibachs? And can anyone enlighten us on the details for the rear top mounts too?

Cheers for any and all help

LeeT5
Wednesday 29th July 2009, 20:30
Only springs affect your ride hide...not shocks!