PDA

View Full Version : v70r awd power

MARKY70RRR
Sunday 7th December 2008, 22:11
how much quicker is the 2wd compared to 4wd.

volvokid
Monday 8th December 2008, 05:52
In the dry i would say its slightly faster don’t think it would be lots quicker but in the rain none lol the AWD would win.

MisterC1501
Tuesday 9th December 2008, 16:01
how much quicker is the 2wd compared to 4wd.

Unfortunately most R AWD's tanks have to have RICA upgrades to catch us :mischievo

Dragging all that extra AWD weight will bog it down throughout the acceleration stage.......that's if its working properly........and lets be honest.......not really reliable is it :mischievo

MARKY70RRR
Tuesday 9th December 2008, 18:55
Unfortunately most R AWD's tanks have to have RICA upgrades to catch us :mischievo

Dragging all that extra AWD weight will bog it down throughout the acceleration stage.......that's if its working properly........and lets be honest.......not really reliable is it :mischievo

i dont know if we are slower and i hope the awd does work no probs yet and yes it has been ricad

MisterC1501
Wednesday 10th December 2008, 10:06
iand yes it has been ricad

:haha:

Murphy
Wednesday 10th December 2008, 12:23
I would say 850's are quicker than 70R's ?

britten_mark
Wednesday 10th December 2008, 12:29
I went from an 225bhp 850 T5 to an 250bhp R AWD, and the T5 felt like a hot hatch compared to this. AWD is nice and secure in wet weather/boggy fields etc, but it weighs a ton. For go-power stick with FWD.

gtiteen
Wednesday 10th December 2008, 13:02
Ive never driven an R AWD, but from my experience AWD can often feel slower as your not losing grip so feels less 'exciting' i guess.

What AWD system do the R's run?

Dave

V70Stu
Wednesday 10th December 2008, 14:25
The 0-60 figures that I can find are as follows:

6.8s Manual 2WD
7.1s Manual AWD
6.8s Auto 2WD - not sure of this one!
7.8s Auto AWD
7.1s Apr - Dec 1999 2.4 R Auto AWD

HTH

Stu.

siamblue
Wednesday 10th December 2008, 18:19
The 0-60 figures that I can find are as follows:

6.8s Manual 2WD
7.1s Manual AWD
6.8s Auto 2WD - not sure of this one!
7.8s Auto AWD
7.1s Apr - Dec 1999 2.4 R Auto AWD

HTH

Stu.

These figures are poohbah mate where it really matters with the AWD is on the bends and twisties in the damp or wet at 70+, the 2wd would never keep up,

lance
Wednesday 10th December 2008, 21:09
Must have a go in an AWD some day

siamblue
Wednesday 10th December 2008, 22:50
Yes Lance try and have a go in a chipped one, they are so planted,

Gary

Timo.
Thursday 11th December 2008, 16:39

I've heard alot about problems with the AWD system. Whats goes wrong with them and how can you tell if it gone bad?

Cheers

T.

gazjacko
Thursday 11th December 2008, 16:52
Don't confuse the scrabbling for grip and wheelspin you get with the 2WD with speed!!!!
The 2WD cars are deffinitely more 'raw' in their delivery but I'm sure that the 4WD makes for a more composed cross country weapon. The 2WD cars may well be lighter but once the inertia of the drivetrain is overcome the 4WD is just as quick in real world terms.

LeeT5
Tuesday 2nd June 2009, 01:39
I would say 850's are quicker than 70R's ?

...Yes, but do you keep a spare cambelt in your boot?? :hidesbehi

Sorry...only joking!

LeeT5
Tuesday 2nd June 2009, 01:50
I went from an 225bhp 850 T5 to an 250bhp R AWD, and the T5 felt like a hot hatch compared to this. AWD is nice and secure in wet weather/boggy fields etc, but it weighs a ton. For go-power stick with FWD.

That's a contradiction if ever i heard one. Like Gary has already said, in the dry a T5 fwd is always going to be quicker because it's lighter. In the wet a T5 fwd would not stand a chance against it's heavier AWD big brother.

All AWD owners here know that in the wet is where we have all the fun....who cares about in the dry, anyone can drive fast when the tarmac is dry!! I used to own a very quick late 97 T5 fwd auto. It was quick, given the only mods were a MBC and front strut brace but i know all to well it was useless in the damp/greasy/wet/frosty/icey and snowy conditions.

LeeT5
Tuesday 2nd June 2009, 01:58
Yeah, not forgetting that all standard ME7 v70's were mapped so they had 30% less power from 0-30mph to prevent wheelspin (think that was on T5 and R models only thou) so a non ME7 car is always going to feel and be quicker off the mark. However this is eliminated if your ME7 is remapped via BSR/RICA etc. Even standard i know my AWD R is faster than my old 850 T5 once i get to about 40-50mph.

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 2nd June 2009, 17:54
Finally, a comment about the awd thats not from 'stay away from them'.

Gimli
Tuesday 2nd June 2009, 21:15
Don't confuse the scrabbling for grip and wheelspin you get with the 2WD with speed!!!!
The 2WD cars are deffinitely more 'raw' in their delivery but I'm sure that the 4WD makes for a more composed cross country weapon.

That's certainly my first impression of the V70 R AWD compared to my 850 20V (non turbo). I haven't had any wheel spin and the car just goes round corners with a degree of assurance I don't recall since my Alfa Guilietta.

muscas
Friday 26th June 2009, 14:38
I have had 2 T5's and two AWD R's, AWD all the way!

As for reliability, 116K miles on and no problems............Let's hope its stays that way!

From memory the 0 - 60 stats for a Phase III R's are the same as a similar generation T5, so just as quick and all that better handling from the AWD, all in all a better car.

Filterlab
Friday 26th June 2009, 14:53
I'd say there's probably not much in it at all. Just the weight alone of the AWD system will compromise acceleration and handling, however in the wet the FWD does tend to be a little loose for the first 20-30mph. Saying that any properly experienced driver can get a FWD away quickly in the wet with decent use of clutch and throttle control. Still doesn't beat the balls out grip of 4WD though and never will.

MisterC1501
Saturday 27th June 2009, 22:04
I have had 2 T5's and two AWD R's, AWD all the way!

As for reliability, 116K miles on and no problems............Let's hope its stays that way!

From memory the 0 - 60 stats for a Phase III R's are the same as a similar generation T5, so just as quick and all that better handling from the AWD, all in all a better car.

So then Patrick, just explain again WHY you broke your Silver R AWD, hey, hey, :biggrin::mischievo

britten_mark
Monday 29th June 2009, 16:31
[QUOTE=Filterlab;238126]Just the weight alone of the AWD system will compromise acceleration and handling[QUOTE]

There is a really steep hill on the way home from work that my R really struggles with. 3rd gear and you lose speed, 2nd gear and you get up at moderate pace but with the engine screaming like boy racer, very embarrassing. This is where the extra weight of the 4wd really shows, my old T5 would romp up it in 3rd and take off at the top!

However, I'm glad of the AWD traversing it in the winter!

Could write a list a mile long of the positives and negatives of the 2 cars. Swings/roundabouts as with anything in life.

T5frankie
Monday 29th June 2009, 17:23
Yeah, not forgetting that all standard ME7 v70's were mapped so they had 30% less power from 0-30mph to prevent wheelspin (think that was on T5 and R models only thou) so a non ME7 car is always going to feel and be quicker off the mark. However this is eliminated if your ME7 is remapped via BSR/RICA etc. Even standard i know my AWD R is faster than my old 850 T5 once i get to about 40-50mph.

Hi i have both cars ME7 and pre ME7 and the Me7 accelerates quite a bit harder and changes up a bit later

Wibren V70R
Wednesday 8th July 2009, 19:00
I used to have the awd system on my R. Like said before, on dry tarmac an awd car will lose to the fwd cars just because an fwd is like 150kg lighter. But on wet tarmac that's were the fun begins with a awd :D

And now i have the best of both worlds; fwd + quaife and still provit from having the rear suspension from an awd :D