PDA

View Full Version : Windows steaming up

trev
Sunday 7th December 2008, 14:36
Hi can anybody help, my 850 windows are constantly steaming up,there is no water coming in the car,or the boot.
I have checkrd where the spare wheel is as well,and that is dry as well.
Its getting dangerous to drive as i can't keep the windows clear ,even with the blower on hot and going full speed.

AndysR
Sunday 7th December 2008, 14:48
Might be worth checking your heater matrix as if that has a small leak that will cause your problem and will get worse as the engine warms up. :(

mikouk
Sunday 7th December 2008, 15:04
mine did that, it just needed a replacement pollen filter and a clean of the inside of the windscreen.

redbaron
Sunday 7th December 2008, 16:51
mine is doing the exact same,i put the heater on full blast for the last few minutes of driving before parking,works but not just as well

Big Pete
Sunday 7th December 2008, 19:54
Where is the pollen filer located out of interest? Would be a good idea to check mine.

t5 pete
Sunday 7th December 2008, 20:25
Where is the pollen filer located out of interest? Would be a good idea to check mine.

If you look at the balck pannel where the window wiper are you have to remove the pannel and then you can access the pollen filter which is on the passenger side

Big Pete
Sunday 7th December 2008, 21:24
If you look at the balck pannel where the window wiper are you have to remove the pannel and then you can access the pollen filter which is on the passenger side

Thanks, just looked on PartsForVolvosOnline and are about £15. Any idea how often shoudl be changed. Might need to get one eventually.

t5 pete
Sunday 7th December 2008, 21:44
Thanks, just looked on PartsForVolvosOnline and are about £15. Any idea how often shoudl be changed. Might need to get one eventually.

IM unsure when the intervials are for these maybe a hynes manual would say ive had my car nearly 5 yrs now and mynes never been changed but when i get a new fire wall bush i will replace myne

850twr
Monday 8th December 2008, 15:53
every 2 years according to volvo.

AndysR
Monday 8th December 2008, 15:57
Pollen filters aren't standard fit on the 850 so might or might not be the cause depending on whether on is actually fitted to the car in first place ;)

neevo
Monday 8th December 2008, 15:58
Stop having hanky panky in the car and get a hotel room - problem fixed :D

mexybhouy
Monday 8th December 2008, 22:29
If you have a pollen filter fitted? this could cause the steaming up as that was what was the problem with mine! it was absolutely caked with crap and the blower would only be recirculating stale air inside as no fresh air was able to come through via the blower! they should be replaced every 10,000 mls or yearly! if it's okay or none fitted then the matrix is the next logical suspect. check coolent level and check for wet footwell! also a smell of steam or antifreeze from the heating system is possible but hopefully it's not the latter!!! hope this helps.........

Ivan
Monday 8th December 2008, 23:21
Could be that the windscreen seal is a bit worn and letting water in. Check the footwell under the layers of carpet/foam. If anything is wet there it can be a symptom of windscreen seal leaking, along with steamy windows overnight.

BruceT
Friday 19th December 2008, 12:56
Did you solve this?

Mine steams up but is leaking water

AussieS70T5
Friday 19th December 2008, 21:23
Is there the sweet smell of coolant in the cabin as well? Andy could well be right...
Another good test is to pull the floor mats up on both front passenger and driver sides to see if there is anything leaking under the carpet.

But if you are using coolant it will like be heater core.

dannt5
Friday 19th December 2008, 23:50
Have you checked the heater box drain isn't blocked.This lets damp,condensation & any water that gets into the heater box exit via a small hole in the bottom & out by a rubber hose that connects to the tunnel above the exhaust heat shield...but at the same time can get blocked with cack...a common problem.Worth a look before changing the matrix for no reason.

fireclown
Saturday 3rd January 2009, 01:20
pollen filter here was the problem as well.

Shortbusdriver1969
Sunday 11th January 2009, 17:32
my veccy had same problem and I changed the pollen filter and fixed it, but as I understand things pollen filters are only on cars with A/c,
any way my 850 is ( was ) steaming up. so I bought some of that anti-fog from
wilkinsons £3.99 and same time rain-away again £3.99 I have used the ant-fog on all windows and up too now its been great. as for rain-away I dont know as its not raining yet :-)