PDA

View Full Version : 16t on 2.5 awd lpt

Mental Wealth Doctor
Wednesday 3rd December 2008, 20:19
would this be a straight swap for 13g turbo?
do i need the ecu aswell?

Alan M
Wednesday 3rd December 2008, 20:30
This question has been asked before hasn't it? You can't just take a 16t and exchange it for your 13g as a lot of work will be required. The ecu map, injectors and don't forget your car runs a different compression ratio (higher) than the car a 16t would have come from. If this conversion is really something you are considering I would get the advice from a professional such as RT Mechanics, a member called Engineer or if you can get hold of him Tim Williams. All seem to be knowledgeable people and have helped many others, me included. Buying an ECU to plonk in oonce the turbo is on will not really be the answer as loads of questions will need to be addressed.

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 3rd December 2008, 21:34
Exactly what alan said.

I'm guessing the remap would have to be custom jobby as putting an off the shelf map would probably cause more damage.

Mental Wealth Doctor
Wednesday 3rd December 2008, 22:02
cool a friend has said he can remap the car so thats sound,
need bigger injectors?what size?
the same ones as on c70 t5 or v70r?

irf
Wednesday 3rd December 2008, 22:10
whats the name of the guy who had a LPT but was running some serious mods? think he bought a 740 or something...........can't remember sorry, if i do i'll post.

as alan says you need to know what you're doing.

just off the top of my head, i'd imagine you'd need the turbo and downpipe. that will probably work with everything else stock as you'd run the same boost pressure.

to get more out of it after that, you may be limited by the injectors or maybe even the head gasket. if it's the injectors it'd be quite easy to get larger ones and then get a remap to suit.

if it's the head gasket, dunno really. i know with my old car, when people wanted too much boost for the stock head gasket they'd just get an easily available aftermarket thicker one. not sure on the volvos.

as said though, get advice from someone who actually knows what they're talking about, not people like me giving an opinion.

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 3rd December 2008, 22:51
Smithy had the v70 LPT, before it got written off by some muppet.

Last I hear he was after a 740 like you said.

850twr
Wednesday 3rd December 2008, 23:35
don't think the rods in the 2.5lpt are as strong as the ones in the t5 either, so would be very careful as to how much boost you run, other than that ditto what Alan said.

Mental Wealth Doctor
Thursday 4th December 2008, 00:43
thinkin now maybe v70r is a easier option, lol

850twr
Thursday 4th December 2008, 01:08
lol, yea would be alot easier!

mk3phill
Thursday 4th December 2008, 12:51
don't think the rods in the 2.5lpt are as strong as the ones in the t5 either, so would be very careful as to how much boost you run, other than that ditto what Alan said.

apart from pistons the bottom end is exactly the same as a T5, crank/rods ect

timbo_1975
Thursday 4th December 2008, 13:59
I have to disagree that the 2.5t or any of the NA rods are NOT the same as the t5 ones, from my experience of seeing inside afew motors.

samadkins29
Thursday 4th December 2008, 17:16
This question has been asked before hasn't it? You can't just take a 16t and exchange it for your 13g as a lot of work will be required. The ecu map, injectors and don't forget your car runs a different compression ratio (higher) than the car a 16t would have come from. If this conversion is really something you are considering I would get the advice from a professional such as RT Mechanics, a member called Engineer or if you can get hold of him Tim Williams. All seem to be knowledgeable people and have helped many others, me included. Buying an ECU to plonk in oonce the turbo is on will not really be the answer as loads of questions will need to be addressed.

Sorry but this is completely wrong. Injectors you almost never need. I run 17psi on my lpt with a 16T and I dont need injectors. I need a remap buts that's because of the increased boost. The 16t ran faster than my old 13g. Its a direct replacement NO modification is required. At the very minimum he would need an mbc as the stock psi setting on the 16t will be a few psi over what his car runs at now.

But to say he needs $1000+ work done to drop in a 16t is nothing but wrong.

Not saying an ecu tune is bad, he will get the most out of his car with a tune. But is not required.

Mental Wealth Doctor
Thursday 4th December 2008, 17:53
cool remap an 16t sounds sound, just gonna have to save about a grand for some proper suspension now , or find some off a v70r.

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 4th December 2008, 18:24
Hmmm, sounds good.

The only problem now is you've gotta take it easy on your clutch. Our AWDs weigh over 2ton, and I've changed my clutch twice now (12 months apart)!!

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 4th December 2008, 18:25
Hmmm, sounds good.

The only problem now is you've gotta take it easy on your clutch. Our AWDs weigh over 2ton, and I've changed my clutch twice now (12 months apart)!!

Alan M
Thursday 4th December 2008, 18:44
Sorry but this is completely wrong. Injectors you almost never need. I run 17psi on my lpt with a 16T and I dont need injectors. I need a remap buts that's because of the increased boost. The 16t ran faster than my old 13g. Its a direct replacement NO modification is required. At the very minimum he would need an mbc as the stock psi setting on the 16t will be a few psi over what his car runs at now.

But to say he needs $1000+ work done to drop in a 16t is nothing but wrong.

Not saying an ecu tune is bad, he will get the most out of his car with a tune. But is not required.

Running standard LPT injectors and 17psi of boost is a bit on the dangerous side isn't it. My 16t at 16psi and white injectors sits at around an AFR reading of 12 at WOT. Your LPT may be trying to protect itself by adjusting the timing automatically while you run your MBC without you knowing if your not using an AFR gauge or at least without having it checked on a rolling road with a wideband meter/system. Do you know if your car is running lean or not? If you read the post again aswell you will see I have never metioned a cost for such work to be carried out as I wouldn't know the exact costs involved without researching it myself. I very much doubt aswell that 17psi with a 16t compared to the 13g standard boost level will be the same. The 16t is a larger Turbo and will flow a larger amount/volume of air at the same pressure reading. Try this link for a little reading on Mitsubishi Turboshttp://www.stealth316.com/2-turboguide.htm

samadkins29
Thursday 4th December 2008, 23:59
Running standard LPT injectors and 17psi of boost is a bit on the dangerous side isn't it. My 16t at 16psi and white injectors sits at around an AFR reading of 12 at WOT. Your LPT may be trying to protect itself by adjusting the timing automatically while you run your MBC without you knowing if your not using an AFR gauge or at least without having it checked on a rolling road with a wideband meter/system. Do you know if your car is running lean or not? If you read the post again aswell you will see I have never metioned a cost for such work to be carried out as I wouldn't know the exact costs involved without researching it myself. I very much doubt aswell that 17psi with a 16t compared to the 13g standard boost level will be the same. The 16t is a larger Turbo and will flow a larger amount/volume of air at the same pressure reading. Try this link for a little reading on Mitsubishi Turboshttp://www.stealth316.com/2-turboguide.htm

Well yes I understand that. I wasn't saying he should run 16psi, I have alot of supporting mods and a ecu tune. The 350cc injectors are fine. What I am saying is that he can put in the 16t with little problem. ECU remap and injectors can run is the $700+ range and he will have to pay for install. I dont think I am running lean as my ecu has a remap that runs alittle rich.

Also, 16psi is 16psi, a larger turbo will push more psi faster, but to say that 16psi on a 13g is different from 16psi on a 16t is wrong. The 13g will have to work alot harder to get that pressure. But psi is psi.

mk3phill
Sunday 7th December 2008, 03:09
I have to disagree that the 2.5t or any of the NA rods are NOT the same as the t5 ones, from my experience of seeing inside afew motors.

i can understand the n/a rods being different but from going on what vadis states for the part numbers rods on turbo'd motors are the same. not questioning your experience but i am only relaying information provided by volvo themselves,..on a second note there are 2 seperate part numbers for the rods, but both appear in the different turbo engine varients. and for the differences between 2.5lpt and 2.3hpt engines volvo state that (blockwise) only the piston/rings,.cyl liners are different.