PDA

View Full Version : engine management light on :S

AlecHull
Tuesday 2nd December 2008, 22:56
Hi guys and girls. I drive a 2000 plate v70 2.4 On my way to work today I noticed That the cars temperature wasnt going up at all, didnt think much of it because it was snowing like son of a ****. So anyway parked up and went to work as per usual. When I finished and got to my car it started as per usual but the fan came on straight away was a bit miffed by it but set of anyway after i drove about half a mile the engine management light came on. Temperature still at the bottom, fan still on but no difference in power output or anything like that. I got home (with the temeperature still at the bottom and its a good half hour drive) turned the car off but the fan was still on even tho the key wasnt in the ignition. So I was going to disconnect the battery after getting some old cloths on went back to the car and unlocked it and with that the fan turned off. Really has me miffed. Anyway got hold of a mate who is a mechanic he told me to take it to his garage tomorow where he can read the codes, but he believes it possible that the sensor has gone on it or it just needs reseting. on a worst case secnario he believes the ECU has gone. Is he correct in thinking this? If he is correct with the ecu has anybody got a rough idea on what these cost to get fixed?

Cheers
Alec

timbo_1975
Tuesday 2nd December 2008, 23:04
IS the heater working as per usual? (i.e. is it warming up fully?) if not- thermostat.

If it is warming up fine, change the CTS and check the wiring.

The ecu's on these are clever enough to know how long from cold start running temp should be attained in. If it takes too long the light comes on.

I would say however that you have a faulty CTS or wiring and the ecu is not getting any water temp signal, which is why it is turning the fan on straight away.

Tim..

Enigma666
Tuesday 2nd December 2008, 23:11
Could it not just be the thermostat has gone?
If there is no increase in temp then that would be my starting point I think.

AlecHull
Wednesday 3rd December 2008, 12:48
cheers checked all that luckily the thermostat is ok, I did have the codes read and its come up with coollant sensor gone on a code 7 (sporadic errors) so it was going for a while and has now decided to fully go. the guy has ordered me a new one and told I'll get change out of £20. Bargain.

Alan M
Wednesday 3rd December 2008, 16:49
Go genuine as the pattern sensors have been known to fail very quickly after fitting.