PDA

View Full Version : catch tanks

t5 pete
Monday 1st December 2008, 21:10
hello why do some people fit catch tanks?
cheers pete

Tomcat
Monday 1st December 2008, 21:13
Think it's all down to getting rid of those nasty poluting emissions fumes from the crank case, some people would rather catch them in a seperate container than pass them back through the engine again, and thus polute the fuel air mixture.

nathT5
Monday 1st December 2008, 21:21
all racecars have catch tanks so the engine breaths clean air.
some are just tin cans with the breather pipe stuck in and you empty the crap out when its full.
not sure if it would pass an MOT like that though???

dooby
Monday 1st December 2008, 21:46
hello why do some people fit catch tanks?
cheers pete

'cos I've now seen what gets collected in it and I'd rather that wasn't going back through the turbo, intercooler, throttle body and cylinders :-)

Mine collects what I believe to be a mixture of oil and water.

As I think others have said, it's possible to let this mixture vent straight to atmosphere but it's not very environmentally friendly :-( I don't know if you would fail an MOT - I imagine they'd have to find the outlet and I'm not sure they look for things like that carefully enough.

HTH, Pete

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 3rd December 2008, 00:04
all racecars have catch tanks so the engine breaths clean air.
some are just tin cans with the breather pipe stuck in and you empty the crap out when its full.
not sure if it would pass an MOT like that though???

'cos I've now seen what gets collected in it and I'd rather that wasn't going back through the turbo, intercooler, throttle body and cylinders :-)

Mine collects what I believe to be a mixture of oil and water.

As I think others have said, it's possible to let this mixture vent straight to atmosphere but it's not very environmentally friendly :-( I don't know if you would fail an MOT - I imagine they'd have to find the outlet and I'm not sure they look for things like that carefully enough.

HTH, Pete

Mine collects oil and water like Dooby's (some nasty lookin ££££e). I had my MOT last week, and had no problems at all, and mine is a silver tank right next to the airbox.

Our engines are getting old and spit crap out like mad.

nathT5
Wednesday 3rd December 2008, 21:58
Mine collects oil and water like Dooby's (some nasty lookin ££££e). I had my MOT last week, and had no problems at all, and mine is a silver tank right next to the airbox.

Our engines are getting old and spit crap out like mad.

is your tank a proper sealed unit with a breather???
ive seen allsorts used on racecars from plastic pop bottles to redbull tins.

dooby
Wednesday 3rd December 2008, 23:03
Hiya,

my system's sealed so it just sits between the Volvo oil separator under the inlet manifold, and the turbo intake. It needs emptying periodically.

I think you can also have the catch tank but exit to atmosphere via a small filter (blocking off the turbo inlet hole) or even skip the catch tank altogether and let the oily water air mix vent out through a hose under the car.

Cheers, Pete

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 3rd December 2008, 23:14
Mine is also like Dooby's, just an inline tank with no breather.