PDA

View Full Version : white sludge on oil dip stick

ikp_77
Monday 1st December 2008, 21:00
hi all i checked my oil and water today and i found a white / gray sludge substance rite on the end of the dip stick , i have lost no water or oil ,the oil cap is clear any idea as wot it could be chears out there

irf
Monday 1st December 2008, 21:03
can't remember about white sludge but i do remember that if these cars are subjected to a lot of short journeys they can show signs of head gasket problems even if that isn't the case.

Yosser
Monday 1st December 2008, 21:18
From what I've read this is quite common, especially in winter.

As long as there are no other signs - water in oil, oil in water etc - the I wouldn't be too worried.

FWIW mine is exactly the same.

ikp_77
Monday 1st December 2008, 21:38
am going to keep my eye on it to see if i get any white sludge on the oil cap as i say water is ok and oil levels ok you recon it could be the weather we have at the min

dicky b t5
Monday 1st December 2008, 22:43
ikp, dont worry about it, as said before its quite common...its condensation build-up.

Come summer time/warmer weather....It'll all be gone.

Dicky.

5seaterT5x2
Monday 1st December 2008, 23:21
am going to keep my eye on it to see if i get any white sludge on the oil cap as i say water is ok and oil levels ok you recon it could be the weather we have at the min

i have it on quite good authority tis nothing to worry about,it's to do with the location of dipstick ie:- at front where cold meets hot etc and short journeys combined with cold weather.......................it'll be gone in the summer/or a decent long journey

Ross9
Tuesday 2nd December 2008, 00:45
yep, dont worry, just a bit of moisture mixing with the oil thats clinging to the stick. relax my friend relax lol

Ross

ikp_77
Tuesday 2nd December 2008, 18:05
thanks alot you guys put my mind at ease thougt the worst there for a min thanks again

mexybhouy
Tuesday 2nd December 2008, 20:00
Wot about replacing the PCV system? had the same on mine and now it's gone!!!

Ron@iPd
Tuesday 2nd December 2008, 21:19
To be the devils advocate, it could (most likely not) the head gasket. If it were an internal failure you might see some oil in the water as well. It is most likely what the others have stated above, moisture in the oil. As an engine cools down it collects condensation on the inside and if you make short trips and the oil doesn't get warm enough to heat the water up enough to cook out it will cause this. I recommend at the minimum, take a long drive periodically to cook the water out.