PDA

View Full Version : 16T after 304 upgrade ???

cameron
Monday 1st December 2008, 11:12
As you probably all know ive had the 304 ecu upgrade done on my T5

Theres a 16T up for grabs, is it a straight swap along with the DP or are there more mods i'd have to do, would the ecu have to be changed to run with the 16T?

Also would there be a BIG noticeable difference in the performance ?

Cheers

Lee

Alan M
Monday 1st December 2008, 11:33
It is just a straight swap if all you change is the CHRA. All you need to do is split the turbo by undoing the vband clamp on it, remove the oil and water line first after all the hoses have been removed. The new 16t rotating assembly can now be fittd in place of the old without need for removing the turbo exhaust side from the exhaust manifold and downpipe.

I run a 304 map for a 15g with my 16t and I have larger injectors with that map with no problems so far. I do think that a new map with more scope for tuning will suit my needs in the not to distant future as I intend to tinker quite a bit more. I think you may see more of a benefit from an MTE map should you choose to do any more work though and it looks like that is the route I will go down. I did notice a slightly diiferent boost range with the swap between turbos.

cameron
Monday 1st December 2008, 13:29
CHRA ?

You've lost me there :confused:

Its on ebay and on here and comes with the proper DP so im assuming its still a straight swap ?

What would i get for my 15g and DP if i was to sell it on ?

Has to be cost effective especially at this time of year ;)

Cheers Alan

Lee

dooby
Monday 1st December 2008, 14:11
CHRA stands for compressor housing and rotational assembley :-)

It means the bit in the middle of the turbo - like shown on the left here:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/vbarticles/editor/assets/photos/dooby/Picture038.jpg

Which (if you want the context) is from my turbo rebuild thread, here:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=48611

I bought my 2nd hand 15G turbo for £70, and with the price of the metals in a catalytic converter I expect that might fetch more as scrap, maybe £50-£100.

HTH, Pete

cameron
Monday 1st December 2008, 14:30
Holy Toledo's ( watching the swearing ;) )

Thats way too much for me :jaw:

Can i not just take the 15g out and put the 16t in along with the correct DP ?

That would be a little bit easier i feel, plus i havent got the money to buy an extra turbo if i mullered the replacement ;)

Cheers

Lee

P.S. Awesome thread and how too :B_thumb:

Tomcat
Monday 1st December 2008, 14:34
Yes you can Lee, it's a straight swap if your changing the downpipe too.

dooby
Monday 1st December 2008, 14:36
EDIT Tomcat beat me to it...

Hiya,

to be honest if I was doing it (which I have!) I would choose to remove the turbo whole (including both exhaust and compressor housings) for the same reasons as you - less likely to damage the fragile innards of the turbo.

You certainly could remove your old turbo whole, then the downpipe, then pop in the new downpipe and bolt in the new 16T. That's the way I'd do it, but clearly different people prefer different approaches :-) There isn't a single "right" way I don't think.

HTH, Pete

nathT5
Monday 1st December 2008, 20:36
what gains or differences do you get from this change then???

Alan M
Tuesday 2nd December 2008, 13:56
CHRA ?

You've lost me there :confused:

Its on ebay and on here and comes with the proper DP so im assuming its still a straight swap ?

What would i get for my 15g and DP if i was to sell it on ?

Has to be cost effective especially at this time of year ;)

Cheers Alan

Lee

My standard downpipe sold for £86 and the 15g turbo for £87 both on ebay. Mine were both in outstanding condition when removed and they were both extremely clean looking with no damage which I think helped my sale.

Jod T5
Saturday 6th December 2008, 20:33
what gains or differences do you get from this change then???

There is little difference between a 15G and a 16T, they both spool up nice and the 16 has a little better "top end" but speaking on a drivability basis there is nothing in it...Save your cash for a 19T ME7 manifold and map would be my advice.....
Cheers
Jod