PDA

View Full Version : Crap Headlights

dangerstevie
Sunday 30th November 2008, 19:22
Are anyone else's headlights really really crap on dip beam or is it just mine? they are absolutely awful, i have fitted new std bulbs in them and still can hardly see anything with just dip on.
The HID kits are tempting but whats the crack on the split dip and main beam bulbs, surely with the HID kits only one would be brighter.

Tomcat
Sunday 30th November 2008, 19:24
It is sadly a well known fact that the factory headlights are crap!.

Volvostorm
Sunday 30th November 2008, 19:43
Are anyone else's headlights really really crap on dip beam or is it just mine? they are absolutely awful, i have fitted new std bulbs in them and still can hardly see anything with just dip on.
The HID kits are tempting but whats the crack on the split dip and main beam bulbs, surely with the HID kits only one would be brighter.

Yup, thats the case, I'm putting a HID kit on mine, and then some uprated bulbs in the main beam.

Our cars don't really have a main beam as such, they just turn on the inner bulbs.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OSRAM-H1-NIGHTBREAKER-HEADLIGHT-BULBS-90-ONLY-11-50_W0QQitemZ190269205116QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Cars Parts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item190269205116&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A2%7C 240%3A1318

These are what I'm going to use

dangerstevie
Sunday 30th November 2008, 22:51
cheers

stainesy
Sunday 30th November 2008, 23:09
what are the normal headlight bulbs called for the 850? iv never changed them before so dont no what bulbs it takes. i got a hid kid for it but have just realised its broken. so now need to get new headlight bulbs. would the bulbs in the link above fit strait into my standered headlights?

Okete
Monday 1st December 2008, 08:38
what are the normal headlight bulbs called for the 850? iv never changed them before so dont no what bulbs it takes. i got a hid kid for it but have just realised its broken. so now need to get new headlight bulbs. would the bulbs in the link above fit strait into my standered headlights?

Stainsey,

You are beginning to confuse me now............... back in your thread about 'eyebrows' and what colour you should paint them, you state:

"its a cosmetic thing. plus the headlights are great at night as i have hid kit"

If you haven't fitted your HID kit because it is broken, how do you come to have 'great' HID lights?
How did you manage to buy the correct HID kit, if you don't know what bulbs your car takes?

Just puzzled, that's all!

stainesy
Monday 1st December 2008, 11:44
my mate had a hid kit and fitted it to my car for me. now the bloody thing aint working so gona go back to original lights.

Alan M
Monday 1st December 2008, 11:48
Stainsey,

You are beginning to confuse me now............... back in your thread about 'eyebrows' and what colour you should paint them, you state:

"its a cosmetic thing. plus the headlights are great at night as i have hid kit"

If you haven't fitted your HID kit because it is broken, how do you come to have 'great' HID lights?
How did you manage to buy the correct HID kit, if you don't know what bulbs your car takes?

LOL.

The standard headlights are not very good at all. I have both a 6000k and 8000k bulb it for my HIDs but the light output is still very poor compared to many of the other cars I have owned. I was contemplating altering the light deflector or removing it from my headlight to see if the light output could be increased but I worry about the consequences should this be allowed and if it would mess the light output up completely.

LesRED850R
Monday 1st December 2008, 11:52
Stainsey,

I have speaked at length about HALO ANGEL EYES and where to buy them as well as HID kits that others on this forum have done too................SO , why do these peeps not look at the wealth of knowledge that is the forum history..??? And whats more , why dont the Moderators BUMP the stupid questions that keep coming around quite regularly ???? Stainsey , i am sure i gave you tip s on headlights and i know you didnt read it cos you didnt even look at it... you started another thread??? This was ages ago.. Now it comes around again... Come on Moderators... Start BUMPINg some posts as they repeat,repeat, repeat....I am stuck in the time warp..

dangerstevie
Monday 1st December 2008, 17:39
I wont buy the angel eye headlights because i hate the look of angel eyes. anything else i will consider to try and make these lights better

t5 pete
Monday 1st December 2008, 17:58
i have the crystal clear head lights on my 850 with xeon bulbs and there very good

dangerstevie
Monday 1st December 2008, 21:47
can you get them without the angel eyes

t5 pete
Monday 1st December 2008, 21:55
can you get them without the angel eyes

Yeah have a look in my profile album pictures there around £200 delivered

Redbrick
Monday 1st December 2008, 23:07
Take them off, unclip the front glass off them and clean the crap out of them. Makes a massive difference and costs nothing but time. If you are still not happy slap an HID kit there- job done.

woz
Tuesday 2nd December 2008, 10:01
Take them off, unclip the front glass off them and clean the crap out of them. Makes a massive difference and costs nothing but time. If you are still not happy slap an HID kit there- job done.

-- and if the glass is cfrap get it polished to remove the stone chips / salt erosion.
DO NOT NOT NOT try to clean or polish the silver reflector surface - it is very thin and delicate and will come off if you so much as look at it.
I got my headlights up to spec by putting new glass in and uprated replacement H1 bulbs. Not sure what type but from the local accessory shop abnout £10 pair and claiming to 30% brighter. Maybe Phillips?? Made a huge difference from the puny candles I was driving around on before, and you can get %90 brighter ones but dearer.

Cheers

Woz

dangerstevie
Tuesday 2nd December 2008, 17:18
ill be ripping them apart tonight then

timbo_1975
Tuesday 2nd December 2008, 17:26
Is there any way to re-silver the reflectors at all? Has anyone tried ?

tim.

t5 pete
Tuesday 2nd December 2008, 17:37

tim.

i doubt it very much there very tempermental also they can get tarnished and corroded over time its a 2 min job to take the glasses off and have a look what condition there in if there not very good i would say its time for some new lights

Redbrick
Tuesday 2nd December 2008, 19:26
DO NOT NOT NOT try to clean or polish the silver reflector surface - it is very thin and delicate and will come off if you so much as look at it.

Guess I was lucky as I threw them in the kitchen sink with some hot water and washing up liquid! :D

woz
Tuesday 2nd December 2008, 19:34

tim.

Thats a bloody good question actually Tim. Time for some research methinks.
Local car shop offers a gold plating service - I wonder if they can do chrome - I assume its chrome??
Cheers
W

stainesy
Tuesday 2nd December 2008, 19:40
so what do you have to do to get the headlight glass off? do i need to take the headlights off or does it just unclip on the car?

also what bulb is it that comes on constant when i start the car?

dangerstevie
Tuesday 2nd December 2008, 22:08
thats your side lights unless i am mistaken, i didn't get chance to do the headlights tonight but i would have hought they would need to be off the car.

stainesy
Tuesday 2nd December 2008, 22:11
thats your side lights unless i am mistaken, i didn't get chance to do the headlights tonight but i would have hought they would need to be off the car.

no my side lights are on the side its the actal dip beem that comes on on mine when i start the engine

dangerstevie
Tuesday 2nd December 2008, 22:18
well thats the one then dude, all figured out now lol

stainesy
Tuesday 2nd December 2008, 23:08
well thats the one then dude, all figured out now lol

well no the question was what bulb is it?. is it part of the main headlight bulb or is it a seperate bulb? iv never had the headlight bulbs out or even looked at them. my mateput my hid kit in that now dont work.

Volvostorm
Tuesday 2nd December 2008, 23:14
Its the dip bulb, just working at a lower voltage, that's why its not as bright

stainesy
Tuesday 2nd December 2008, 23:16
oh right. anybody no if a h4 hid bulb will fit in a standered 850 headlight?

Volvostorm
Tuesday 2nd December 2008, 23:48
No, because the 850 uses a H1 bulb, not a H4

cameron
Wednesday 3rd December 2008, 10:29
Stainesy if you dont want the dip beam on all the time just turn the little screw at the side of the light switch on the dash. iirc theres about 4 settings to choose from.

Turn your ignition on look to see what lights are on, then turn the screw 1 place, jump out and see whats still on or has gone off, keep repeating till you get the look you want.

Nice and easy :B_thumb:

On the bulbs, pauls right mate they are H1's, theres plenty of kits on Fleabay for not a lot of money, no point in trying to change them to H4's.

On the main point, my headlights are excellent, there loads brighter than the ones on the car ive just sold, im still having a hid kit though, my mrs is getting me one for crimbo :)

Cheers

Lee

timbo_1975
Wednesday 3rd December 2008, 17:49
well no it isnt- least not on the standard P1 70 series lamps.

It looks like nothing more than silver aerosol paint sprayed on the plastic casing and has a fine stippled effect.

woz
Wednesday 3rd December 2008, 18:18
so what do you have to do to get the headlight glass off? do i need to take the headlights off or does it just unclip on the car?

Just remoive the headlight wiper arms, then flip the sidelight/indicator units out, and you can remove the trim panel under neath the lamp unit. Then just flip the 10 or so clips off with a screwdriver. Mark where they come from as they go back on easy if ion the right place, not so easy if you try putting them on in the wroing place. You will see why when you get the galss off. Also look at the way the rubber seal fits so you get it back on the right way round. It takes about 10 mins max!

stainesy
Wednesday 3rd December 2008, 19:00
Just remoive the headlight wiper arms, then flip the sidelight/indicator units out, and you can remove the trim panel under neath the lamp unit. Then just flip the 10 or so clips off with a screwdriver. Mark where they come from as they go back on easy if ion the right place, not so easy if you try putting them on in the wroing place. You will see why when you get the galss off. Also look at the way the rubber seal fits so you get it back on the right way round. It takes about 10 mins max!

oh right sweet so i can leave the headlights on the car and take the glass off. result cheers.

i have a brand new pair of H4 100w HID Xenon blue bulbs if anybody want to buy some cheape. still sealed in the box. there useless to me now. LOL

beppie boy
Wednesday 3rd December 2008, 21:29
hi there,
lights are pants on the volvos its a fact i found these on ebay and they are awsome

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280261758568

have a look and see the diffrence

martyn

LesRED850R
Thursday 4th December 2008, 08:21
hi there,
lights are pants on the volvos its a fact i found these on ebay and they are awsome

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280261758568

have a look and see the diffrence

martyn
They help a bit on 850s but the fact is the std lights are so bad you have to ask if Volvo gave up on safety with them......As i have posted B4 , there are CLEAR LENSES [ in glass ] available as replacement fit [ incl new seals and clips ] so that could be good...

Babybadger
Thursday 4th December 2008, 12:04

As Cameron said, That will be low beam that comes on when you start the car, Aw ay to turn that off is the little screw in the corner of the headlights on/off switch, use a jewellers screwdriver to turn it and that will keep the lights off in the daytime.

Also I have those bulbs on ebay and they are great, but clean the glass first! I suppose you could put the glass in a dishwasher?

Redbrick
Thursday 4th December 2008, 13:00
100w bulbs make your bulb wiring go brittle and crack.

Alan M
Thursday 4th December 2008, 13:42
100w bulbs make your bulb wiring go brittle and crack.

And they are not legal.

cameron
Thursday 4th December 2008, 13:46
Those bulbs arent approved for road use, so watch out for these guys :cop: in your rear view ;)

Think i'd rather just get an approved hid kit :B_thumb:

Cheers

Lee

cameron
Thursday 4th December 2008, 13:46
Beat me too it Al.

Lee

timbo_1975
Thursday 4th December 2008, 13:57
I would NOT reccomend bulbs over the standard 55w as I have seen many cases of melted plastic reflectors and bulb holders due to the increased heat, of which both the 850 and 70 series have.

HID is by far the best way to go.

Tim.

Babybadger
Thursday 4th December 2008, 14:09
Sorry missed the wattage, mine are the standard wattage ones,55W? But they have the bluey white tinge, mine are E approved , but not sure if they are legal abroad especially france?

stainesy
Thursday 4th December 2008, 16:31
iv just bought these off ebay. 90% more light should be good

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OSRAM-NIGHT-BREAKER-H1-Headlamp-Bulbs-90-More-Light_W0QQitemZ370115542575QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_C arsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item37011554257 5&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18

dangerstevie
Thursday 4th December 2008, 16:44
i never like it when it says "up to **% more light" ....**% more light than what? sealed beams? candles? badger eyes on a stick?
They will more than likely be better but 90% i doubt.
Good luck with it dude, hope they are as good as they claim.

stainesy
Thursday 4th December 2008, 16:50
cheers dude. oh and you will all be glad to no i am going to trim them eyelids down so they dont cover so much of the headlight or i was thinking of maybe cutting a half circle out of hem where the headlight is.

Volvostorm
Thursday 4th December 2008, 17:00
Did you buy 1 set or 2? If you only bought the one set, your main beam is going to be crap

stainesy
Thursday 4th December 2008, 17:04
Did you buy 1 set or 2? If you only bought the one set, your main beam is going to be crap

i bought a pair of them? why is my main beem going to be crap?

how many bloody h1 bulbs does each headlight take?

Volvostorm
Thursday 4th December 2008, 17:25
i bought a pair of them? why is my main beem going to be crap?

how many bloody h1 bulbs does each headlight take?
Each headlight takes 2 bulbs, 1 for dip, and 1 for main.

If you have a 'super' bulb in your dip beam, when you to main, you ain't really going to see any difference, hence me saying the main beam with be crap

stainesy
Thursday 4th December 2008, 17:26
ok to make my headlights as bright as posible im gona replace all the bulbs in the man headlight unit. i have already bought 2 h1 bulbs what other bulbs do i need? and how many?

stainesy
Thursday 4th December 2008, 17:27
Each headlight takes 2 bulbs, 1 for dip, and 1 for main.

If you have a 'super' bulb in your dip beam, when you to main, you ain't really going to see any difference, hence me saying the main beam with be crap

oh right so each headlight takes 2 h1.s?
so i need to buy 2 more super h1 bulbs and have 2 in each?

Volvostorm
Thursday 4th December 2008, 17:28
ok to make my headlights as bright as posible im gona replace all the bulbs in the man headlight unit. i have already bought 2 h1 bulbs what other bulbs do i need? and how many?

Another 2 H1's

Volvostorm
Thursday 4th December 2008, 17:28
oh right so each headlight takes 2 h1.s?
so i need to buy 2 more super h1 bulbs and have 2 in each?

Yes mate :)

stainesy
Thursday 4th December 2008, 18:04
ok just bought another pair off the same bloke. pressed the bloody button to many times and ended up buying another 2 pairs. ooops. gota cancel a pair LOL

stainesy
Thursday 4th December 2008, 18:57
what bulbs are in the side lights above the indicators? are they normal sidelight bulbs that you get in any car?

Volvostorm
Thursday 4th December 2008, 19:48
what bulbs are in the side lights above the indicators? are they normal sidelight bulbs that you get in any car?

These are the sidelights bulbs:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PACK-OF-10-SIDELIGHT-AUTO-BULBS-207-12V-5W-BA15S-SCC_W0QQitemZ200268832866QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Car sParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item200268832866&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318
(Yes, I know they are packs of 10!)

I've just bought these, they give a whiter light, and look better
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4xWhite-9-LED-Rear-Tail-Light-Bulb-1156-207-BA15s-R5W_W0QQitemZ360110543898QQihZ023QQcategoryZ72234Q QtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

stainesy
Thursday 4th December 2008, 20:08
These are the sidelights bulbs:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PACK-OF-10-SIDELIGHT-AUTO-BULBS-207-12V-5W-BA15S-SCC_W0QQitemZ200268832866QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Car sParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item200268832866&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318
(Yes, I know they are packs of 10!)

I've just bought these, they give a whiter light, and look better
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4xWhite-9-LED-Rear-Tail-Light-Bulb-1156-207-BA15s-R5W_W0QQitemZ360110543898QQihZ023QQcategoryZ72234Q QtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

cheers dude i just bought them to. how long you recon they will take to come from china?

dangerstevie
Thursday 4th December 2008, 20:09
stainsey what is the front bumper on your car? its different to mine. the lower lip on it, mine doesn't have it

cameron
Thursday 4th December 2008, 20:12
Its the front off a T5R or an R mate ;)

I bought mine with it on although its only a T5, one less thing for me to do :B_thumb:

Cheers

Lee

Volvostorm
Thursday 4th December 2008, 20:13
cheers dude i just bought them to. how long you recon they will take to come from china?

Mine arrived today, I ordered them Saturday night! But I did pay extra for the postage, you might be lucky and get them in a week or so.

stainesy
Thursday 4th December 2008, 20:13
stainsey what is the front bumper on your car? its different to mine. the lower lip on it, mine doesn't have it

mate mine is the T-5 R not the T-5 so it has the lower front bumper.

stainesy
Thursday 4th December 2008, 20:15
Mine arrived today, I ordered them Saturday night! But I did pay extra for the postage, you might be lucky and get them in a week or so.

yeah i payed the extra £7.99 didnt go mad and pay the £13.00 tho LOL. have you fitted them yet?

Volvostorm
Thursday 4th December 2008, 20:23
Not yet, going to have a fitting spree at the weekend, got a few other goodies to fit, like my new forge dump valve! :D

stainesy
Thursday 4th December 2008, 20:26
Not yet, going to have a fitting spree at the weekend, got a few other goodies to fit, like my new forge dump valve! :D

oooow yeah im like that. i order loadsa stuff during the week then fit it all at the weekend. its so anoying when you order sumit expecting it to be here by sat and it dont come with the postman and you have to wait till monday for it. hopefully i will be doing my headlights this sat.

dangerstevie
Friday 5th December 2008, 17:33
i want one of those bumpers in grey

Volvostorm
Friday 5th December 2008, 18:59
i want one of those bumpers in grey

Errrrrrrrrr, what bumpers that mate? :confused:

dangerstevie
Friday 5th December 2008, 19:06
sorry my post appeared after your few, its the T5r like on stainseys.

stainesy
Friday 5th December 2008, 19:08
fitted my super dooper 90% more light headlight bulbs today and just drove at night with them. they are pretty good actuly. can see alot better but wouldnt say it was 90% better tho.

Volvostorm
Friday 5th December 2008, 19:15
Thats good then mate! :D

dangerstevie
Sunday 7th December 2008, 21:09
good news

The_Rapid_Tank
Monday 8th December 2008, 17:07
Yeah have a look in my profile album pictures there around £200 delivered

where can u get those headlights they look great and am not a fan of the angel eyes.