PDA

View Full Version : rear fogs

nathT5
Sunday 30th November 2008, 14:29
should an 850 estate have 2 rear fogs or just 1 on the o/s?
i would have thought 2 from the "all for safety" volvo but mine does,nt.
it does have the double fillament bulb fitted but it only works as a sidelamp.

is this correct??? :o

btw, everyone around here love to drive everywhere with all there fogs on all the time :finger:
but yesterday when i could,nt see the end of my bonnet, most did,nt even have their sidelights on :rolling_e
i,m sick of the feckin eejits :wallbash:

Tomcat
Sunday 30th November 2008, 14:36
Nope they're only supposed to have one fog light, in fact I'm sure it's against the law to have two. As for having them on, I followed an idiot yesterday who had them on, it was fogy but not bad enough to warrant having them on. 5 miles I followed him for and I was half blind for most of it, even driving with my main beam on for over a mile didn't persuad him to turn them off!!!.

nathT5
Sunday 30th November 2008, 14:45
thanks for that, saves me having to fix something then :redface:

t5 pete
Sunday 30th November 2008, 18:07
Nope they're only supposed to have one fog light, in fact I'm sure it's against the law to have two. As for having them on, I followed an idiot yesterday who had them on, it was fogy but not bad enough to warrant having them on. 5 miles I followed him for and I was half blind for most of it, even driving with my main beam on for over a mile didn't persuad him to turn them off!!!.

is it only against the law for cars to have two rear fogs after a certain age due to many cars having two

walter leever
Sunday 30th November 2008, 19:20
should an 850 estate have 2 rear fogs or just 1 on the o/s?
i would have thought 2 from the "all for safety" volvo but mine does,nt.
it does have the double fillament bulb fitted but it only works as a sidelamp.

is this correct??? :o

btw, everyone around here love to drive everywhere with all there fogs on all the time :finger:
but yesterday when i could,nt see the end of my bonnet, most did,nt even have their sidelights on :rolling_e
i,m sick of the feckin eejits :wallbash:

by my knowledge the estate has 2 fog lights,at least mine does:rolling_e

The Flying Banana
Sunday 30th November 2008, 19:24
If you want two , look inside the light without a fog light on and take out the small plastic band that stops you putting in a bulb. Then stick a fog light bulb in the holder and there you go , two fog lights!!!

nathT5
Sunday 30th November 2008, 22:15
If you want two , look inside the light without a fog light on and take out the small plastic band that stops you putting in a bulb. Then stick a fog light bulb in the holder and there you go , two fog lights!!!

mine has a bulb in the sidelight/foglight holder but it only works as a sidelight.
they are double fillament bulbs that should do both jobs, same as most brakelights do.
but my n/s one does,nt.

walter leever
Sunday 30th November 2008, 22:43
by my knowledge the estate has 2 fog lights,at least mine does:rolling_e

sorry Nath T5 seems like you were right,everything is normal with your ride,

mine also got 1(spoke to soon),was confused by these::confused:

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k390/Walterleever/DSC00093.jpg

just checked:sorry:

walter

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 30th November 2008, 23:02
Should be one on each side for the rears on our 850's (so two altogether) as volvo aren't cheap and ££££ like citroen or ford with their single fog and reversing lights.

The bulbs are 21watt/4watt BAZ 15d, which are wierd they have offset and staggered locating pins (note the 4 watt is for sidelight). I found Halfrauds didn't have this bulb, but a local motor factors did. It should be the bottom bulb in the lower bulb holder section.

walter leever
Sunday 30th November 2008, 23:10
oh shiiiiiiiiit means one of them is kaputttt:eek:

volvokid
Sunday 30th November 2008, 23:23
The V40 only has one i thought the V70 was the same could be wrong. In the V40 I did what F/B said to do

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 30th November 2008, 23:31
Just do what I did, go on ebay and get an owners manual for a couple of quid. That always tells you what bulbs and how things work.

dooby
Monday 1st December 2008, 00:57
Hiya,

my 850 estate had one working rear foglight as described. I looked and found that the rear bulb holders aren't identical between sides, there's a metal contact strip missing from one side.

I took that to mean Volvo decided to only put one on my car, but you can make both work if you solder the missing metal link back in. Maybe you could also achieve this by replacing the missing-link bulb holder with a spare from the other side if you see what I mean - but I can't remember if they're left/right 'sided'.

Mine's a '97 model year if it helps.

Cheers, Pete

snoop69
Monday 1st December 2008, 09:09
There was a debate on another forum regarding 2 fogs on the rear
of cars.

The majority believed that having 2 fogs on the rear could mask the
brake lights on a slowing car which could end in an accident.

My 98 V70 only has one working fog light fitted.

russell2419
Monday 1st December 2008, 10:21
The minimum requirement for rear fog lights is one. Some makes have two but neither is illegal. Also, it is not illegal to retrofit a second foglight so long as it is fitted exactly opposite the current fitment on the offside. All of this is determined by the location and distance from the ground, all to do with European Vehicle and Use Regulations.
I am waiting for someone to shoot me down in flames, but pretty sure that I'm right.

nathT5
Monday 1st December 2008, 20:16
Hiya,

my 850 estate had one working rear foglight as described. I looked and found that the rear bulb holders aren't identical between sides, there's a metal contact strip missing from one side.

I took that to mean Volvo decided to only put one on my car, but you can make both work if you solder the missing metal link back in. Maybe you could also achieve this by replacing the missing-link bulb holder with a spare from the other side if you see what I mean - but I can't remember if they're left/right 'sided'.

Mine's a '97 model year if it helps.

Cheers, Pete

this makes a lot of sense pete, i,ll check now i know what i,m looking for.
like i said, its got 2 new double function bulbs but only the o/s works as a fog.
so it,ll be the holder wireing, cheers...

dant5
Wednesday 3rd December 2008, 19:46
my 1996 p reg 855 T-5 has 2 rear fog lights and they both work:smirk: