PDA

View Full Version : S70 Remote Fob Programming

JOHN 850
Sunday 30th November 2008, 00:02
Have searched the threads & can't not find a definate answer on this.

Getting an S70 with no fobs - can I buy s/h ones & reprogram myself or is it a dealer only job with a new fob ?

Cheers guys,

John.

snoop69
Sunday 30th November 2008, 10:32
I have another fob & couldnt programme it.

My local dealer advised that old fobs couldnt be re-progammed
& new fobs would be needed.

They quoted £220 incl Vat for a spare key & fob.

24ggaarryy
Sunday 30th November 2008, 10:56
I got a fob off eBay and had it programmed by Volvo no probs for my V70. There is however two part numbers for identicle looking fobs (9184786 and 9184784 IIRC) and you will need to know which one your car uses first as I beleive the internal electronics are not interchangeable.

Hi

What was the cost for the re-programming ? I have just bought a t5 with only one fob and would like to get a spare done.

Thanks

timbo_1975
Sunday 30th November 2008, 13:37
I needed a new fob programming (bought an identical fob off ebay- there are 2 if not 3 different numbered ones) and my local dealer did it in about 10mins but charged £17 for the privilage! (other dealers my have different rates)

It has to be done via VADIS- you cannot do it yourself.

Tim..

Jolly Roger
Sunday 30th November 2008, 15:24
Hi

I got a new fob from the dealer for about £90 IIRC

JOHN 850
Wednesday 17th December 2008, 22:48
Sorry for not replying back sooner - main stealer wants £65+vat for fob, £25 for software & £35 for doing it i.e.labour !

Parts chap said 9184784 or 9184786 fobs would be o.k. so I'm on the hunt in fleabay for some !

Anyone know somewhere in Yorks that can program them cheaper i.e. an independant with vardis ?

Cheers for your help guy's,

John.

Rufe
Thursday 18th December 2008, 11:23
Sorry for not replying back sooner - main stealer wants £65+vat for fob, £25 for software & £35 for doing it i.e.labour !

Parts chap said 9184784 or 9184786 fobs would be o.k. so I'm on the hunt in fleabay for some !

Anyone know somewhere in Yorks that can program them cheaper i.e. an independant with vardis ?

Cheers for your help guy's,

John.

if you get them on ebay you HAVE to have the original packaging they came in, for the bar code/serial number. without that, its a paperweight as it wont be able to be programmed

Simon

CRASH
Thursday 18th December 2008, 20:00
Used remotes will work if your car is fitted with an VGLA module, as in S40, V40, C70, S70 early P1 V70s, but require some sort of diagnostic equipment to unlock the security on the module and then initialise the remote to the car by pressing the lock/unlock button.

P2 cars remotes are programmed into the UEM and have an 8 digit pin (on early models) and an 8 & 16 digit pin on later models, again require diagnostic equipment to unlock the module and add codes.

Vadis is now obsolete and will not program keys and remotes, Vida will perform the task but there is not many independent repairers who have the tool and software capability.

I find that bypassing the system is the easiest way, but the information is classified by Volvo and would result in prosecution and certain death.

JOHN 850
Saturday 10th January 2009, 22:34
Just a quick update on this - managed to get a new fob & programmed by Chapmans @ Malton for £60 all in. Bought a new fob off fleabay as well, but they couldn't program it in unfortunately !
The only downside now that I have the remote facility is back is that the receiver on the car is obviously weak as you need to be nearly next to the glass for it to work - I think receivers going u/s is a common'ish problem isn't it ?

Cheers for the replies so far guy's

John.

hamish
Sunday 11th January 2009, 01:53
if you get them on ebay you HAVE to have the original packaging they came in, for the bar code/serial number. without that, its a paperweight as it wont be able to be programmed

Simon

Sorry Simon,

That is main dealer Bullsh*t we have an Autologic from Diagnos at hlmtuning.co.uk and we do not need any packaging or bar code etc to programme a new or s/h alarm remote to an S70. So if you need a new remote for your Volvo S70 (V70, C70 etc) give us a shout we can programme new and s/h units at a fraction of the dealer costs!!!!!!!!

Regards,
Hamish.

timbo_1975
Sunday 11th January 2009, 12:00
The range on both my 70 series cars is rubbish- like someone said you have to be practically at the glass for it to work. It works 100% of the time, and new / old batterys in the fob make no difference.

Is this how they are, or is there a fix for the receiver?? Where is the receiver ?

tim.

JOHN 850
Sunday 11th January 2009, 14:14
I think the receiver is a little box attached to the back of the instrument cluster ?

Where abouts are you located Hamish - knowing my luck 200+ miles away !

Cheers

John.

paullus
Sunday 11th January 2009, 19:09
Hi
I went through all this last year. Copy and paste the links below to read my threads on the subject.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16135&highlight=Alarm+Siren
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16452&highlight=Alarm+Siren

JOHN 850
Sunday 11th January 2009, 19:54
I'm surprised that the fobs didn't need programming to the new unit though ? The code/signal must be somewhere deeper in the security system then, as I thought the s/h sensor & fobs on ebay were matched so when fitted in your own car they then worked ?

The other interesting point to come out of this thread is that s/h fobs CAN be programmed to your car using aftermarket software !

Cheers again guys,

John.

timbo_1975
Sunday 11th January 2009, 20:37
The receiver is surely just that- receives radio waves, converts the signal to a digital one, and passes them onto the ECU, which then sends a lock/unlock signal to the CDL ecu (behind drivers kick panel)

So i am thinking the tuning of the antenna inside the unit, or the actual connection of the antenna fails after a time???

Tim..

Jimmie
Sunday 11th January 2009, 20:51
Sorry Simon,

That is main dealer Bullsh*t we have an Autologic from Diagnos at hlmtuning.co.uk and we do not need any packaging or bar code etc to programme a new or s/h alarm remote to an S70. So if you need a new remote for your Volvo S70 (V70, C70 etc) give us a shout we can programme new and s/h units at a fraction of the dealer costs!!!!!!!!

Regards,
Hamish.

It remains to be seen if that is the case.

paullus
Monday 12th January 2009, 19:40
I'm surprised that the fobs didn't need programming to the new unit though ? The code/signal must be somewhere deeper in the security system then, as I thought the s/h sensor & fobs on ebay were matched so when fitted in your own car they then worked ?

The other interesting point to come out of this thread is that s/h fobs CAN be programmed to your car using aftermarket software !

Cheers again guys,

John.

I was more than pleased when my fobs operated the new receiver without the need for any reprogramming. I can only guess that the new receiver has a blank memory and is simply programmed by the first fob pointed at it.

Rufe
Tuesday 13th January 2009, 12:09
Sorry Simon,

Regards,
Hamish.

sorry hamish but there is no need to accuse me of lying. i am only saying what i have been told countless times and i dont have any reason to doubt that. i know 100% this fact is true for the later models athough you may be right with the older models but i can only say what i have been told. if you can do it good luck to you but dont accuse me of lying!

Yosser
Tuesday 13th January 2009, 14:06
What price can you supply the new one's for, Rufe? - for a '97 V70 T5 CD

I did buy one off ebay once and my dealer couldn't match it to the car.

Rufe
Tuesday 13th January 2009, 15:19
Hi,

REMOTE CONTROL:
Pn: 9184784
Retail Price: £71.31 inc vat,
Our Price: £60.61 inc vat, plus postage
Postage: £1.14 Royal Mail 2nd Class Recorded Delivery
Availability: Will be dispatched the next working day if ordered by 4:30pm
NOTE: Will require programming to the car, charge to do this will vary depending on where you go so you will need to get a local price for this.

Simon

richengle
Sunday 6th February 2022, 18:39
Used remotes will work if your car is fitted with an VGLA module, as in S40, V40, C70, S70 early P1 V70s, but require some sort of diagnostic equipment to unlock the security on the module and then initialise the remote to the car by pressing the lock/unlock button.

P2 cars remotes are programmed into the UEM and have an 8 digit pin (on early models) and an 8 & 16 digit pin on later models, again require diagnostic equipment to unlock the module and add codes.

Vadis is now obsolete and will not program keys and remotes, Vida will perform the task but there is not many independent repairers who have the tool and software capability.

I find that bypassing the system is the easiest way, but the information is classified by Volvo and would result in prosecution and certain death.

so if i replace the UEM with one from a vehicle with a fob from same vehicle, can i unlock the car/// and will it cause other problems [no start? or lights on all time?]

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 6th February 2022, 21:14
so if i replace the UEM with one from a vehicle with a fob from same vehicle, can i unlock the car/// and will it cause other problems [no start? or lights on all time?]
If it's for an S70 (or P1 x70 series up to 98/99) then in theory, yes.