PDA

View Full Version : 18" Alloy owners beware! My MOT Failure

Liddo
Friday 28th November 2008, 20:28
Picked up my car tonight from kwik-fit and they told me it had failed, as the tyres where catching on the inner arch. Not too bad he said, but enough for one of the rivets holding the arch back to wear the inner wall of my tyre to the core :(

I have 225/40/18's on Nebulas, and the original tyre place said "Ohhh dont worry, a little rubbing on full lock wont hurt" Well Mr tyre man, your f**kin WELL wrong. The tyres could of blown out at any time.

So now, after only about 2k miles, I'm having to source some 215/40/18's and apparantly they wont touch the inners.

Buy 215's if you have 18,s or buy some spacers

:mad:

t5 pete
Friday 28th November 2008, 20:40
Picked up my car tonight from kwik-fit and they told me it had failed, as the tyres where catching on the inner arch. Not too bad he said, but enough for one of the rivets holding the arch back to wear the inner wall of my tyre to the core :(

I have 225/40/18's on Nebulas, and the original tyre place said "Ohhh dont worry, a little rubbing on full lock wont hurt" Well Mr tyre man, your f**kin WELL wrong. The tyres could of blown out at any time.

So now, after only about 2k miles, I'm having to source some 215/40/18's and apparantly they wont touch the inners.

Buy 215's if you have 18,s or buy some spacers

:mad:

sorry for the bad news tyres arnt cheep

Liddo
Friday 28th November 2008, 20:44
sorry for the bad news tyres arnt cheep

Nope, the best price so far i can find is £175 for a pair of Falkens. Just before Christmas too :mad:

No Turkey for me :D

t5 pete
Friday 28th November 2008, 20:51
i use a place in thurnscoe barnsley called gt tyres and there very good at prices i got 4 michelin pilot exalto 215/40/17 for £400 if you want there number just let me know

Redbrick
Friday 28th November 2008, 22:50
Bummer!

The P2's have an extra metal plate inside the wheel arch that the tyre rubs on on full lock + there are supposed to be different stops fitted to the wishbones (I think, I haven't bothered lol).

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=35058

V70Stu
Friday 28th November 2008, 23:17
Was the it the front or the rear that had worn through? I had to put 5mm spacers on the rear of mine with 225/35/18, but then expected them to catch on the outer edge when boot is fully loaded :-( But the fronts were OK other than on full lock.

I'm not sure but are 215s too narrow for the 8" rim width on a Neb?

Jaseb77
Saturday 29th November 2008, 09:38
my C70 came with 18s and that size tyre from volvo, and never had any rubbing ?

try camskill.co.uk ,for direct delivered tyres prices

pangster
Saturday 29th November 2008, 10:27
my C70 came with 18s and that size tyre from volvo, and never had any rubbing ?

try camskill.co.uk ,for direct delivered tyres prices

I think the issue could be the offset and the fact that the Nebulas are 8 inches wide instead of 7.5 inches like the Triton etc?

sucks big time though mate! - I hope you manage to get something sorted that isn't bank busting! - just what you don't need before xmas!! :(

dooby
Sunday 30th November 2008, 23:50
Hiya,

I found a similar problem on my 850R when I went to 17x8J genuine Pegasus (46mm offset). I was running 235/40R17 tyres.

I was on a track day, cornering hard at 70mph and we found the rear most wheel liner stud in the rear wheel arch was catching the tyre sidewall.

I snipped the stud with some bolt croppers (there are 2 studs/nuts holding on that part of the arch liner anyway) and fitted 3mm spacers.

I think there was also rubbing at the front, especially on full lock. I reckon a combination of smaller tyre width and rolling radius, plus C70 steering lock stops would all be required. 235/40R17 on 8J wheels with an effective offset of 43mm (46mm offset minus 3mm spacer) are still too much for a lowered 850 to take in my experience.

HTH, Pete

Liddo
Monday 1st December 2008, 08:27
Got it sorted this weekend. Had to get 215/35/18's fitted to the front. Now she looks like a f**kin dragster with skinny sidewall's at the front and large (40mm) wall's at the back ;)

There is no rubbing at all now. Im wondering if my bump stops are worn, and this is allowed the 225's to catch on this inside???? They caught the inner arch on both locks, so I guess the Nebs are a little to wide for the C70 really, but with the thinner tyres, they are fine.
There's no rubbing at all on the backs BTW.

I'll get her MOT'd today, and get some 215/45/18's ordered, as the 35's are like rubber bands, and dont give much protection to the alloys over the bleedin pot holes (you should see me swerving all over the road to miss them, i look p**sed ;) )

Just beware if yours are catching, cos they fail the MOT if they are