PDA

View Full Version : Which is quicker, 850r or v70 t5

foz
Thursday 5th May 2005, 16:39
:pants:
Quick question. There is a guy I work with who has a standard 2000 MY v70 t5 auto. He is mouthing off that it is quicker than my standard manual 1996 MY 850R. Could someone tell me who would outdrag who?

Mrsmopp
Thursday 5th May 2005, 16:44
VERY dependant on a lot of things but as a rle of thumb the 850's seem to perform much better on the drag strip than the V/S/C70's...........(wait for the 70 series boys to come on and tell me I'm wrong LOL :haha: )

x

Al115
Thursday 5th May 2005, 17:55
Moppy - you're wrong! :troutslap I don't think that there's much in it between the old-shape 70s and the 850s, Rs or not. But then I would say that, wouldn't I.

However, foz, your guy at work is talking a load of RRRRs. The new-shape 70s aren't noticeably faster. In fact ask him if he has the geartronic shifter, and if he has, challenge him to a race! :nutkick:

Alastair

mraldonnelly
Thursday 5th May 2005, 20:44
I've just changed from an 850 T5 to a V70 T5.

I have to admit that when I first got the V70 onto the open road I was somewhat disappointed. In fact, I thought the guy selling the car had removed the turbo since I last drove it.

The V70 just does not feel as fast because the 850 is more brutal in the delivery of its power whereas the V70 is so so so much smoother. Also, I think my V70 is a fly by wire and I reckon the response is down compared to a good old accelerator cable connected throttle.

I'm no longer disappointed. I love my new car and I have since discovered that she is as fast, and every bit as powerful as my 850. It's just that the delivery is completely different.

Regards

Andy

Al115
Thursday 5th May 2005, 20:56
You're right - the 850s do feel faster. Plus, the drive-by-wire cars take a different technique to make them go fast. The throttle pedal really is just a "request" to the engine rather than a command! If you just plant your foot, you often don't get the best response.

Of course, you knew that already :slap:

Alastair

Mrsmopp
Friday 6th May 2005, 09:10
I'm not talking about how quick it feels - I was relying on the 1/4 mile events I have attended over the last 12 months. I am yet to see a 70 series make the 850 times. Sorry :B_blite:

x

Ross9
Friday 6th May 2005, 09:43
Has seemed that way to me as well Mrs M, from times I've seen posted.

the 70's are heavier are they not? hence the difference.

I remember checking the kerb weights of an 850, and it was only 50-75kg more than Jacqs T4, due to more modern safety technology no doubt, so I would assume the more modern V70 would weigh in a good bit heavier, and as such, slower to some extent.

Either way its auto vs manual as well, and auto will sap the power.

Ross

Murphy
Friday 6th May 2005, 10:06
It would depend on the driver and the location. If we are talking on paper then i assume the lighter car is quicker, however i think in general the later car is going to be slightly quicker, but i would rather have a 850R over a 70 series T5 ?!?

Either way its auto vs manual as well, and auto will sap the power.

Ross

My auto was as quick as every manual i challenged !?!? In addition i didn't do a bad job v's After Shock and my mates 850R both of which are on 19t's and nearly 350hp.........

Still i don't want to start the auto manual debate ;)

lance
Friday 6th May 2005, 11:49
Having owned both as standard I would say my 850 was quicker 2000 -4000 but would run out of puff a bit about 5500 rpm. My V70 when it was standard was quicker higher up in the Rev range managing a 15.3 standing 1/4.@94 mph as standard which compares well to a standard 850 .

I think the 70 range will get a slightly higher terminal speed on the standing 1/4 than an 850 if not quite such a good time. At avon I managed a 97.55 mph at 15.1 secs which concidering my turbo worn and my clutch knackered is a very respectable terminal speed compared to an 850.
My V70 feels quicker from 100 mph +
My old 850 felt quicker from a standing start.

I dont feel there is much in it and would love to see a standing mile with 2 similar stock cars and 2 similar rica cars !
I think the 850 would have the edge on the 1st 1/4 but the 70 series would start to gain in the higher gears and rev range.

Mrsmopp
Friday 6th May 2005, 11:52
I dont feel there is much in it and would love to see a standing mile with 2 similar stock cars and 2 similar rica cars !
I think the 850 would have the edge on the 1st 1/4 but the 70 series would start to gain in the higher gears and rev range.

My thoughts entirely Lance. I believe the 850 is marginally quicker over the 1/4 mile, however, the 70 series would soon make that up past 100mph!

x

swordy21
Friday 6th May 2005, 13:35
I don't have any real experience of 850's, although I will say the V series are marginally up on power std and less so RICA'd, so if the 850's are faster on the 1/4 it has to be down to either weight or how the power is laid down. Driving style being equal.

Mine is a P1 V70 Auto RICA'd 310, and ran a 15:00@97.12 mph, slower than some 850's I know, but then I think some more fettling with the induction setup will bring that down, as it got a bit wheezy, especially when hotter.

Rolling then hoofing it - it does go like greased weazel p**, if I can stop the wheels spinning, which gets quite exciting.

BTW - running vs Spesh - he annhialated me, but god knows what he is running.

After_Shock
Friday 6th May 2005, 13:38
Alot of it comes down to the driver and the track, admittedly my car was very slow on the 1/4mile considering the mods it had as murphy has pointed out, mainly due to my lack of experience, the track being like ice and the fact I had a bigger turbo that spooled later.

However if we tried it from a rolling start were the 19t was were it was best and the car had traction it would have been a very different matter.

Murphy
Friday 6th May 2005, 14:11
Alot of it comes down to the driver and the track, admittedly my car was very slow on the 1/4mile considering the mods it had as murphy has pointed out, mainly due to my lack of experience, the track being like ice and the fact I had a bigger turbo that spooled later.

I was really refering to the trip down, but you knocked 0.5 secs off my fastest time that day anyway i think.

However if we tried it from a rolling start were the 19t was were it was best and the car had traction it would have been a very different matter.

This is true, but only slightly quicker to 130 then the 19t really starts to work. Some would argue that the 19t is a bit of a waste of time. However the good side, in my opinion, of the 19T is the exceptional fuel econamy compared to the smaller turbo's and general drivability is better, it feels more like a n/a engine as it seems to consistantly pull smoothly to the redline. In addition you can run less boost to achieve the same power output when compared to a smaller turbo and of course if you throw enough money at the job the 19t will see 2 bar quite nicely if everything else can keep up ;).

Hasn't the newer R series got a KKK turbo !?!?

After_Shock
Friday 6th May 2005, 14:46
With the trip down I was sat on your arse with very little effort and not going anywhere near the redline :remybussi

The fuel economy was the main factor and I would disagree with the 130mph thing, anything in 4th gear was where the 19t shone, it pulled harder in 4th gear than at any revs in 2nd and 3rd and anything above 90mph in 4th their was very little that would keep up, in a way I was dissapointed with 3rd gear but 4th made up for it. Just unfortunate the 1/4mile makes almost no use of 4th on the manual cars.

Im not sure about the new R models but im sure I read somewhere that they use the KKK ones, not sure how good they are though?

TangoDeltaSierra3
Sunday 8th May 2005, 14:41
Does anyone have any performance figures for a Ricad V70 R AWD - surely that would be the ultimate for the strip - even tho its heavier wouldn't the initial traction counteract against a 2wd 850 or S70 ? God i cant decide what to buy next either - grrrrr! :slap: