PDA

View Full Version : doh! clutch slipping!

wilvo
Friday 28th November 2008, 08:37
hi im driving a r reg s70 t5 rica 310 with 55k and me clutch has developed slight slip on full boost in 4th, whats the best/cost efective clutch i will be fiting myself so just need clutch, which is best genuine/sachs or performance bearing in mind i may be looking for more power at a later date.. many thanks will.

samadkins29
Friday 28th November 2008, 15:11
How much psi are you running?

S70T5Chris
Friday 28th November 2008, 18:25
If you are just sticking with the RICA 310 then a standard clutch will be fine (I believe the sachs clutch is exactly the same as the genuine one from a dealer).

If you want to go further then and 850R clutch seems to be a good option. I'm running over 500nm torque with an 850R clutch with no problems. You'll need to make sure you have a single mass flywheel tho, if you don't you'll need to get one from an 850. This is what I had to do on my S70 as I had a dual mass flywheel originally. Around 97/98 its a bit hit or miss as to what flywheel you'll have.

Hope that helps.

wilvo
Friday 28th November 2008, 19:50
If you are just sticking with the RICA 310 then a standard clutch will be fine (I believe the sachs clutch is exactly the same as the genuine one from a dealer).

If you want to go further then and 850R clutch seems to be a good option. I'm running over 500nm torque with an 850R clutch with no problems. You'll need to make sure you have a single mass flywheel tho, if you don't you'll need to get one from an 850. This is what I had to do on my S70 as I had a dual mass flywheel originally. Around 97/98 its a bit hit or miss as to what flywheel you'll have.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for reply, not sure about flywheel i hope its not a duel mass item as im having a nightmare with them failing on vauxhalls, so poss go for a 850 r version not s70? im only running standard rica 310 prob wont go much more unless win lottery but never know, would rather upgrade rather than just replace.

S70T5Chris
Friday 28th November 2008, 19:55
Try and suss out if you have a dualmass first and then go from there. I'm suprised the clutch is slipping to be honest I had a Rica 310 for 4 odd years up to 109k with no problems and I believe it was the original clutch!

The 850R clutch seems to be proven as being able to cope with a lot more power and torque. I know of a few people that are using an 850R clutch with no problems and a shed load of power/torque.

wilvo
Friday 28th November 2008, 20:11
right would volvo be able to find out on record do you think as i cant really do without car, any ideas of price as may need to get mother to buy as crimbo pressie, i know not much milage im third owner first owner was a older woman sooooo ;) its only slight at mo say just as boost comes in, in forth.

S70T5Chris
Friday 28th November 2008, 21:31
right would volvo be able to find out on record do you think as i cant really do without car, any ideas of price as may need to get mother to buy as crimbo pressie, i know not much milage im third owner first owner was a older woman sooooo ;) its only slight at mo say just as boost comes in, in forth.

Ha ha ha, that might explain it then!! The 850R clutch was £190 (ish) from Rufe (frf volvo). Not sure about the flywheel, I managed to blag mine! Apparently, if you have an external slave cylinder, you have singlemass flywheel, if your slave cylinder is built into the gearbox, you have dualmass. That's how I undertsand it!!

If your not gonna go much beyond the Rica 310, then a standard S70 T5 clutch will do you fine.

wilvo
Saturday 29th November 2008, 16:48
Ha ha ha, that might explain it then!! The 850R clutch was £190 (ish) from Rufe (frf volvo). Not sure about the flywheel, I managed to blag mine! Apparently, if you have an external slave cylinder, you have singlemass flywheel, if your slave cylinder is built into the gearbox, you have dualmass. That's how I undertsand it!!

If your not gonna go much beyond the Rica 310, then a standard S70 T5 clutch will do you fine.

have looked this morn and it apears that my slave cylinder is inside the gearbox... does this mean that i have a dual-mass, what is the best thing to do? have had alot of trouble with these things in past most the new vauxhalls are fitted with them...... :(

S70T5Chris
Saturday 29th November 2008, 17:53
I'm fairly ceratin that means you have a dualmass, yes. I don't 'think' there are any problems with the dualmass setup in these cars, it just limits your clutch options. So if your not worried about upping the power any more a standard replacement clutch should do you fine.

If you want to prepare for 'possible' upgrades, then I can recommend fitting an 850 flywheel (can't be much money from a breakers) and an 850R clutch, you can keep the internal slave cylinder afaik. The singlemass flywheel setup isn't as refined as the dualmass tho.

wilvo
Saturday 29th November 2008, 19:15
I'm fairly ceratin that means you have a dualmass, yes. I don't 'think' there are any problems with the dualmass setup in these cars, it just limits your clutch options. So if your not worried about upping the power any more a standard replacement clutch should do you fine.

If you want to prepare for 'possible' upgrades, then I can recommend fitting an 850 flywheel (can't be much money from a breakers) and an 850R clutch, you can keep the internal slave cylinder afaik. The singlemass flywheel setup isn't as refined as the dualmass tho.

cool i think i will retro fit the flywheel to a 850 item as i have foud that helix performance clutches do a clutch for the 850 andi have fitted these to evo's ect and know they are a good clutch...

S70T5Chris
Sunday 30th November 2008, 00:02
I did make enquiries about the helix organic clutches before going with the 850R. They were over twice the price of an 850R clutch, and IIRC the power/torque handling that they supposidly could hanlde wasn't 'all that'. Russ (RT Mechanics) had one of these in the peril, and I know he recommends them so I don't think you could go far wrong if you went down that route.

wilvo
Sunday 30th November 2008, 08:25
cool if was buying a kit i would still need the release bearing/slave off the s70 not 850?

Tim Williams
Sunday 30th November 2008, 11:23
You would use the 850 flywheel, clutch disc and cover plate. New flywheel bolts and the slave cylinder/ release bearing off the orignal gearbox.

Its worth replacing the cover plate botls as they are only 8.8's

RT MECHANICS
Sunday 30th November 2008, 16:12
I did make enquiries about the helix organic clutches before going with the 850R. They were over twice the price of an 850R clutch, and IIRC the power/torque handling that they supposidly could hanlde wasn't 'all that'. Russ (RT Mechanics) had one of these in the peril, and I know he recommends them so I don't think you could go far wrong if you went down that route.

Hi Chris

Just to say i have a Helix full paddle in the Peril it handles my current power fine at the moment we have fitted two of the other helix range to a few cars but they still have stage one/two power but the clutch is now ready to handle more so no need to do it twice :)

Russ

wilvo
Tuesday 2nd December 2008, 08:40
quick question does any one know if a non turbo flyweel will fit?