PDA

View Full Version : Good engine for conversion...B230?

Eko
Friday 28th November 2008, 00:00
Looking for something different to drop into my E30 BMW and have been thinking about using one of the Turboed engines from a Volvo.
I am not well up on the engine codes but from doing a Google search and looking at vids on Youtube the B230 seems to be popular for tuning?

Couple of questions I need answers too before deciding if this conversion is going to happen.
Sorry if these sound a bit trivial to you guys.

1, What year and model would be best for me to buy to use as a suitable engine donor?
2, Is the sump pan on the B230 at the back or the front of the sump?
3,Is the B230 engine loom seperate from the main car loom?
If so then is the main rngine ECU incorporated in this loom?
4, Anything you think I should know or be wary of while considering this conversion?

All help and advice is welcome :)
Tony

irf
Friday 28th November 2008, 00:07
not trying to bring you down in any way shape or form, your project sounds interesting and would love to see it done. problem is, this board is mainly frequented by people with the T5 engine. there are obviously exceptions but just letting you know.

you could try the voc forum but i'll warn you now, they are the stereotypical volvo owner, caravans and all:hidesbehi

if i was in your place i'd probably try registering with the turbobricks forum. it's a US based site but they seem to know what they're doing with the older stuff and won't drop their chamapgne glasses in horror if you suggest modifying an engine to them.

just my opinion.

beppie boy
Friday 28th November 2008, 00:11
they seem to know what they're doing with the older stuff and won't drop their chamapgne glasses in horror if you suggest modifying an engine to them.just my opinion.

lol:shockedbi

martyn

Eko
Friday 28th November 2008, 00:20
Thanks irf ill try the turbobricks forum.