PDA

View Full Version : One wheel drive 850? OWD? FWD/AWD/RWD?

pzorb
Thursday 5th May 2005, 15:40
Had the 855 on axle stands today, i rolled the driver's side wheel and the passenger one moved in the opposite direction as it should, right? So i did the same on the other side and nada :wtf: So i started her up - still on the stands - put her into 1st, and saw they were both moving (a good thing). But when i went over to the passenger side wheel it was very easy for me to stop it and keep it stopped while the driver's side one was still ploughing along.

My question to you is are you meant to be able to hand-stop the passenger wheel whilst in 1st gear?

I'm thinking 'no' so any ideas what's wrong/broken/fallen off?

Thanks fellas (and ladies!)
Martin

Murphy
Thursday 5th May 2005, 16:05
This is normal, you have a diff in your gearbox which allows the wheels to travel at different speeds - with the nature of 2 cogs, they appose each other, but when in drive they obviously go in the 1 direction, however either 1 wheel or the other has the power but not both, unless you have a limited slip diff which locks both wheels at the same time to maximise traction. The 850R had a LSD.

Hope that helps

Redbrick
Thursday 5th May 2005, 16:06
You got a manual with an LSD?

pzorb
Thursday 5th May 2005, 20:17
Well it seems I don't have a LSD then! Sounds like I'm missing out too. That's ok, i was just surprised how little it took to stop the motion.

Thanks for the info guys!
Martin
PS At least I know what to ask for next time it breaks!

woz
Saturday 14th May 2005, 01:52
hey pzorb - like the photo, but i think you gave the game away - you took it when it was up on axle stands didn't you!!