PDA

View Full Version : suspension

redbaron
Monday 24th November 2008, 20:28
hello people,have came to a conclusion about the t5,cornering isnt very good,was out for a spin earlier gave it some stick coming to a corner and it just wanted to go straight,now ive done the same in my last car and its got round but with much less struggle than the volvo,what options do i have suspension wise?i was thinking coilovers,a guy i know might be able to get me them,not top of the range kw or that but half decent,do i go the tried and trusted coilover or spring and shock?i dont have a family to haul,and it only ever me or the female in the car,oh and it should cost deally less than a grand or even 700 for that matter

t5 pete
Monday 24th November 2008, 20:32
i would only use coil overs on a track really as there such a rough ride i have koni fsd's with 35mm gmax lowering springs the ride quality is lost a little but nothing much but the handleing has improved 100% the only thing you have to remember is these are very heavy fwd cars i took a corner fast the other day and had the wheels spinning out of the corner but managed to handle pretty well

irf
Monday 24th November 2008, 20:38
think you're right on the cornering!

first time i tried to attack a bend in my standard car i had to nearly abort and take an earlier exit!!

i can't really comment on coilovers on the volvo as i haven't any experience of them. what i can say though is that while they transformed my old 200sx, the ride was a bit jiggly....okay, very very jiggly!!

people are gonna give their own experiences, the only way you could really compare a koni equipped car with a bilstein equipped car for example, would be to get to a meet and have a ride in both. most people will just say they're very happy with "X" but will only be comparing it to a standard shagged out suspensioned car!!

pangster
Monday 24th November 2008, 20:51
people are gonna give their own experiences, the only way you could really compare a koni equipped car with a bilstein equipped car for example, would be to get to a meet and have a ride in both. most people will just say they're very happy with "X" but will only be comparing it to a standard shagged out suspensioned car!!

sounds like good advice.. what might suit or be ideal for one person - might not be ideal for someone else.. if possible try and get a ride in a few different set ups..

I've done a little reading on this as well as it's something I'll be looking to do in the not too distant.. there are quite a few options! lol!..

apart from springs and shocks you might also want to think about a strut brace (Rufe does a good price on OEM ones) and sway bars with poly bush ARB's.. IPD or EST can supply these - these will help keep your car flatter when cornering. I've also read that the stock spring seats don't cope to well with uprated suspension and IPD also offer an uprated on of these - although I believe its exactly the same part (or based on) the XC90 spring seat.

In addition - I've also recently polybushed my lower tie bar (that runs from the sub frame to the gearbox) - this has 2 bushes in it and these are both prone to wear - since installing the polybushes the car has felt much tighter when cornering - probably due to having the engine/gearbox strapped down properly! lol! :)

HTH

redbaron
Monday 24th November 2008, 21:08
i had coilovers in all the golfs,ride quality im not that bothered about as the last car was 130mm +/- lower than vw intended so my back is well enough smashed not to notice bumps now,in hindsight springs would be the better dea as the only real reason i got coilovers was so i could suck the ground but as the volvo isnt for scraping the ground then lowering isnt too much of a concern

also got a question,qute noobish as im new to forced induction,got a twin piston bailey valve and fitting kit (read the relevant thread on here) but do i ned to remove any of the standard volvo boost gear to fit the bailey job?

pangster
Monday 24th November 2008, 21:11
i had coilovers in all the golfs,ride quality im not that bothered about as the last car was 130mm +/- lower than vw intended so my back is well enough smashed not to notice bumps now,in hindsight springs would be the better dea as the only real reason i got coilovers was so i could suck the ground but as the volvo isnt for scraping the ground then lowering isnt too much of a concern

also got a question,qute noobish as im new to forced induction,got a twin piston bailey valve and fitting kit (read the relevant thread on here) but do i ned to remove any of the standard volvo boost gear to fit the bailey job?

does this help?:

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18465&highlight=dump+valve+fitting

redbaron
Monday 24th November 2008, 21:28
immense help only thing is,its looks like i need a blanking plate,feel free to beat me with large stick for talking pure uneducated guff,i cant ask me father as he wants the car kept standard

pangster
Monday 24th November 2008, 21:32
immense help only thing is,its looks like i need a blanking plate,feel free to beat me with large stick for talking pure uneducated guff,i cant ask me father as he wants the car kept standard

yep - you will need a blanking plate.. something like this:

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/images/large_images/PFV904505_large.jpg

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/content.asp?cat=250201&catalog=250201&inc=product

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-T5-FORGE-RECIRCLUTATING-VALVE-BLANKING-PLATE_W0QQitemZ260320579676QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_C arsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item26032057967 6&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?products_id=4505

HTH

redbaron
Monday 24th November 2008, 21:43
lol i am in debt to you my man,ill repay you in garage time and biscuits

nathT5
Monday 24th November 2008, 21:44
mine has got bilstein shocks with eibach springs,
handles like a go-kart but is also as hard as one too (which i,m used to anyway)

not sure about volvos but all the alfa owners swear by this set-up...

pangster
Monday 24th November 2008, 21:46
lol i am in debt to you my man,ill repay you in garage time and biscuits

no problem! :) glad I could help! :)

pangster
Monday 24th November 2008, 21:51
mine has got bilstein shocks with eibach springs,
handles like a go-kart but is also as hard as one too (which i,m used to anyway)

not sure about volvos but all the alfa owners swear by this set-up...

I had KGB AGX 4 way top mount adjustable shocks, Eibach Sportline (-40mm), TRD top mounts, TRD engine mounts, High & Tight polybushes and polybushed ARB on my MR2 and it was great at handling.. not so great at absorbing the pothole ridden Edinburgh streets though.. and also got a little nervous when faced with cobbles! or speed humps come to think of it! lol!!

I think based on what I've read and user feedback - I might want the Koni FSD's with the Eibach Pro springs.. seems like a fairly favourable set up.. although like irf said - any upgrade over shagged suspension is bound to seem like a vast improvement! lol!

Do you have the black or yellow Billies on yours Nath??

redbaron
Monday 24th November 2008, 22:08
priced this bilstein and eiback kits up around 600sheets,thats 90% of what i paid for my car :)

pangster
Monday 24th November 2008, 22:12
priced this bilstein and eiback kits up around 600sheets,thats 90% of what i paid for my car :)

I'm not sure what T5 you have? - but I've bought parts from FCP Groton before and even with shipping they have worked out cheaper than the UK:

http://www.fcpgroton.com/category-exec/category_id/184/nm/Front_Struts_Shocks/sub_top_menu_item/by_make-by_model-by_year/by_make/78/by_model/1143/by_year/48/

Maybe worth having a look??

redbaron
Monday 24th November 2008, 22:17
its a 1997 854? glt t5

pangster
Monday 24th November 2008, 23:24

lol!! - you could always give Dan a call at www.dcdezign.com - I've used him for my suspension the last time as the springs had to come direct from Eibach.. I'm pretty sure he'll be able to sort you out and price matches from what I remember? - failing that either do a quick search or ask someone with the setup you are looking for where they got theirs and who they'd recommend. :)

volvolised
Tuesday 25th November 2008, 07:10
Larkspeed http://larkspeed.comare pretty good price wise and have a large range..i run the koni adjustables and the car is well planted.

nathT5
Wednesday 26th November 2008, 10:42
Do you have the black or yellow Billies on yours Nath??

they are the yellow non-adjustable ones.