PDA

View Full Version : clarkson drives a t5?

5seaterT5x2
Friday 21st November 2008, 19:02
have heard about this video clarkson was suitably impressed apparently?
calls it the terminator? anyone seen got this vid?

Cheers Gareth

pangster
Friday 21st November 2008, 19:21
have heard about this video clarkson was suitably impressed apparently?
calls it the terminator? anyone seen got this vid?

Cheers Gareth

not sure.. I think he used to own an 850R though?..

Alan M
Friday 21st November 2008, 19:32
Wasn't it Carpy's old 850?

snoop69
Friday 21st November 2008, 19:44
On Top Gear he drove an 850 around a quarry with Anarchy In The Uk by
the Sex Pistols as the backing music.

He called the car a hooligan if i remember correctly & thought it was pretty
good.

People have been looking for this clip for donkeys years but no-one has
come forward with it yet.

pangster
Friday 21st November 2008, 19:45
On Top Gear he drove an 850 around a quarry with Anarchy In The Uk by
the Sex Pistols as the backing music.

He called the car a hooligan if i remember correctly & thought it was pretty
good.

People have been looking for this clip for donkeys years but no-one has
come forward with it yet.

it's a conspiracy so peeps don't realise how good the T5's and R's are! lol! :)

RT MECHANICS
Friday 21st November 2008, 21:49
Wasn't it Carpy's old 850?

:D Yes it now lives in france :)

Russ

OogieBoogie
Friday 21st November 2008, 22:29
He now has an xc90 as his daily drive, and mentions it at every opportunity (though rarely on camera).

Rufe
Tuesday 25th November 2008, 14:06
He now has an xc90 as his daily drive, and mentions it at every opportunity (though rarely on camera).

and he has mentioned it loads of times on camera

Jon K
Wednesday 26th November 2008, 20:26
He mentioned it on the TG winter olympics special when he phones his wife to help him get the seats down.

walter leever
Friday 28th November 2008, 19:15
the whole story you can read in one of his books(paperback)

wich is called " Born to be riled", inhere there is a chapter called:" A fast

swede".

In this chapter he discribes his disbelieve when Volvo decided to enter the

BTCC,in an estate ,of all things.

A quote:" When Volvo decided to enter the BTCC,we all said "no Volvo,this

isn't the British tow truck championship,please withdraw you'll emberas

yourselves"

"The t-5's looked good.Even those who knew were ashtonished and asked

themselves what's next?"

"Because i wouldn't be left behind,i bought my wife a T-5.(terminator)

"After the T-5 Volvo went bonkers and introduced the more agressive T5R"

"And now there is the 850R or R2D2as my wife calls it,i call it the terminator2"

Jaseb77
Saturday 29th November 2008, 17:55
anybody seen an old clarkson clip ,when he went out on track with a young michael Schumacher in an Mustang (i think) when he drove for benneton ford.
side ways superb

bailes1992
Thursday 4th December 2008, 21:08
Im in the middle of reading Clarksons Born to Be riled where he keeps going on about his wifes 850R. I'l scan some pages when I got time.

Cause4Concern
Friday 5th December 2008, 00:07
ive got an old book of his called clarksons top 100 cars,and he included the t5 in that.he says it redefined what people thought about volvo.

bailes1992
Friday 5th December 2008, 15:52
He also said in born to be riles that in the 90's with the launch of the 850 the volvo turned from a box into a serious BMW rival :D

kyebosh
Friday 5th December 2008, 17:44
SPEEDY SWEDE
EXTRACT FROM BORN TO BE RILED

If the makers of Blue Nun were to convince the entire nation, within the space of two years, that their sickly interpretation of wine is better than Chablis, I wouldn’t be surprised.

Given enough money, it can be done. I know this because in just 18 months Volvo has turned itself from a music hall joke into a serious and credible BMW rival.

It all began, gently at first, with the introduction of the 850, a surprisingly nice car to drive but you’d never know it, what with those Etch-a-Sketch lines and that badge.

Never mind that the top models had a creamy 2.5 litre, five cylinder 20-valve engine and a truly sophisticated rear suspension, it was still bought by old people who indicated left a lot and turned on their high-intensity rear fog lights during June, in readiness for autumn.

The rest of us were still safe. We could still spot a Volvo coming the other way and get out of its way. Motorcyclists could see one approaching a main road and know for absolute certainty, it wasn’t going to stop.

Then Volvo gave us the T5. And for everyone woke up to the fact that was a really nice car to drive, and seriously fast too, Volvo had entered the world’s most prestigious racing series for saloon cars. Only they’d entered an estate.

There was turmoil in the motoring world, ‘No,’ we said to them politely, it’s not the British Towing Car Championships. Please pull out. It will be embarrassing.’ And it was. In the first year, they lost spectacularly. And as the Swedish tidal wave cruised round in the middle of the field. the crowd pointed and made bovine noises.

The trouble is that in the car parks at these events you started to notice, among the Sierra Cosworths and BMW’s. a growing number of the aforementioned T5’s, finished in black, and lowered, and sitting on 17 inch gunmetal grey alloys.

They looked very good and the cognoscenti were impressed, in a confused, what’s happening here, sort of way.

Then all hell broke loose. Volvo started its second year in the Touring Car Championship with a brace of saloons that actually won some races. And they bought every single advertising slot on ITV so that we could see stunt men and photographers and meteorologists whizzing around in their Volvos.

Never slow to leap onto the bandwagon, I got hold of a T5 for my wife, and pretty soon everyone who’d ever had a Volvo was saying that they’d been right all along and that they knew I’d come round to their way of thinking in the end.

Things by now were out of control because to run alongside the T5, Volvo brought out an even meaner T5R. And now there is, simply, the 850R. Or as my wife calls it, the R2D2. Or as I call it, Terminator 2.

You’ll have to think up your own name because it just says Volvo on the back. However, no one is fooled for long, thanks to the rear wing, the vivid red finish, the six-spoke gunmetal grey alloys and the chin spoiler that grazes the road.

Inside, there’s powered, heated Suedette seats and all the fruit. There is also a wooden dashboard, the likes of which I have never seen before. You see, it’s made from what looks like polished pine and it is absurd.

It’s useful, though, because there’s no way you’d climb inside and think of the car as ordinary in any way. OK, so it starts with a key and the clutch pedal is on the left, but once you’ve let it up a bit you’re at the controls of a wheeled neutron bomb.

The huge turbo means the 2.3 litre motor now develops 250 bhp, and that, translated into bald figures, equals a 0 to 60 time of six point something seconds and a top speed of 160 mph. In a Volvo.

It will cost about £32,000 whethe4r you have the saloon or the estate, manual or automatic transmission, and while that’s a lot, I have to say, you do get a lot of car for your money.

What surprises is the sophistication. Instead of being bad and loud, it’s all quite subdued. You even get traction control which does its best to mediate as the explosion of power fights with the front-wheel drive.

Saab once said you can’t put more than 170 bhp through the front wheels. But Volvo has anyway and they’ve ended up with a car that you drive like your trousers are on fire.

There’s a Terminator 2 out side my house right now, and as it’s three in the morning I’m sorely tempted to take it for another drive. I love looking at the body language of those in front of you as they struggle to see what on earth is behind. It’s a Volvo Jim, but not as we know it.

And it isn’t either. It flows through the bends and while the ride is firm on those unbelievably low-profile tyres. It’s just like a BMW really, only faster.

And there you have it: an entire piece about Volvo where the word ‘safety’ didn’t crop up once. Mine’s a Neirsteiner.

zoomungus
Thursday 29th January 2009, 20:42
SPEEDY SWEDE
EXTRACT FROM BORN TO BE RILED

Saab once said you can’t put more than 170 bhp through the front wheels. But Volvo has anyway and they’ve ended up with a car that you drive like your trousers are on fire.

lol!

Tomcat
Friday 30th January 2009, 13:31
As much as I love TopGear I must admit that my opinion of Mr Clarkson has gone down somewhat recently. A relative bought me his new book for christmas which is just extracts from the column he rights in the Guardian. I always though, being as he was brought up in Doncaster, that he was a genuine (working class) guy, however, some of the stuff in his book makes me realise that he's nothing but a stuck up, middleclass public school boy.

I won't go on because I'd probably get carried away.

PaulZX
Friday 30th January 2009, 13:52
he's got the best job in the world, and his head is up his arse, but if I had his job, I'd gladly insert my own head into the region of no sunshine... As would most of us, if it was needed to get the job and keep it.

I know someone who used to work a bar at Coombe Abbey Hotel nr Cov, where he stays sometimes (or used to 10 odd years ago), and (allegedly) he is a bit of an arrogant prat, in "real" life... Very much in the "do you know who I am" catagory of celebs...

I'd still love his job, the jammy f******-*****-*****-******rd... :D

Tomcat
Friday 30th January 2009, 13:58
No doubt we'd all love his job, doesn't stop him 'Pretending' to be mr average working class guy does it?.

A looong time ago when I was into 'Another' brand of car ( I won't say which) I attended a car show that had as one of the judges "Quentin Wilson" of the old Top gear fame. Couldn't believe the pompus arrogance of the guy, he strolled around the place followed by his lackies like he was bloody royalty. Needless to say we didn't hang around for long after he arrived.

carpy
Saturday 31st January 2009, 20:09
Ahh yes my old car. Had loads of info about Jeremy & the car, and even had someone at the BBC send me still shots from the archives, but said they couldn't give me the actual footage due to copyright or something...........

walter leever
Saturday 31st January 2009, 20:20
Ahh yes my old car. Had loads of info about Jeremy & the car, and even had someone at the BBC send me still shots from the archives, but said they couldn't give me the actual footage due to copyright or something...........

even after all these years,it's not like it's a new model that still has to broadcasted.:mischievo

And what do you mean by "ah yes my old car?"

carpy
Saturday 31st January 2009, 21:08
even after all these years,it's not like it's a new model that still has to broadcasted.:mischievo

And what do you mean by "ah yes my old car?"

Huh? Have you been at the crack pipes again old boy?

walter leever
Saturday 31st January 2009, 23:52
Huh? Have you been at the crack pipes again old boy?

Only joints for me matey.:bounce:

carpy
Sunday 1st February 2009, 00:02
Only joints for me matey.:bounce:

Haha quality! The car they are talking about was my car. I sold it a few months back, and I regret it badly. Was a stupid decision because I spent thousands getting the car absolutely perfect, then got a bit bored of the power & sold it. Idiot!

Here she is just before I sold it. Damn I miss this car so much.

http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/5384/p1000725hq1.th.jpg (http://img372.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1000725hq1.jpg)

Bob France
Sunday 1st February 2009, 00:04
Car is still residing down here,luckily no trees fell on it in the recent 90 mph winds we had a week ago. I could do with any info that members find though,always interesting to get more!!! By the way,keep up the posts,and the gags, cheers me up no end,I miss the one liners!!! Car is still running sweet,although lost two tyres to a spike in my mates drive last week,other than that lots of cameraless roads to play with!!!!

walter leever
Sunday 1st February 2009, 00:09
Haha quality! The car they are talking about was my car. I sold it a few months back, and I regret it badly. Was a stupid decision because I spent thousands getting the car absolutely perfect, then got a bit bored of the power & sold it. Idiot!

Here she is just before I sold it. Damn I miss this car so much.

http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/5384/p1000725hq1.th.jpg (http://img372.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1000725hq1.jpg)

Aaah ol now i get it,so it was clarcksons?(before you):wave23d:

carpy
Sunday 1st February 2009, 00:31
Car is still residing down here,luckily no trees fell on it in the recent 90 mph winds we had a week ago. I could do with any info that members find though,always interesting to get more!!! By the way,keep up the posts,and the gags, cheers me up no end,I miss the one liners!!! Car is still running sweet,although lost two tyres to a spike in my mates drive last week,other than that lots of cameraless roads to play with!!!!

Hey Bob. You sprang from nowhere! Glad to hear the car is still runnning sweet. Although I knew it would be after all the work me & Russ put in. I found another invoice from Russ that somehow got seperated from the ones I gave you. Can post or scan/email it if you want. Don't think it was a biggie, perhaps a few hundred or so.

Did you get the car on / off the ferry ok without scraping? I did but it was touch and go !

Bob France
Sunday 1st February 2009, 00:59
hello Dave ,no probs getting on the ferry and touch wood no scrapes on her,lets hope that it stays that way.I'll drop you an e-mail with my address and
if you drop it in the post that will be great.Did you get your rs by the way?
Nice to see your still keeping up to speed on the forum!!!!

carpy
Sunday 1st February 2009, 01:56
Well somehow since driving a gutless 1.0 litre polo I've managed to rack up 9 points on my licence which is making me think twice about how sensible it would be getting a 500bhp quattro beast. One more slip up and it's night night sooty.

Add that to the fact that RS4s and RS6s have have taken a real battering price wise and are still falling........in fact many cars I couldn't afford before are suddenly on the radar. I'd probably buy a black Gallardo if I knew someone else would pay to run the damn thing hehe..........

Saying that, with the state of this country and the way savers are being royally shafted, there really isn't much point having money in the bank. Better driving it around than getting inflated away.........what a joke.

zoomungus
Sunday 1st February 2009, 05:16
invest in petrol its the new gold!

carpy
Sunday 1st February 2009, 11:24
invest in petrol its the new gold!

I'm slowly coming around to your way of thinking my man !!

carpy
Tuesday 3rd February 2009, 16:20
Bob

Got the receipt now. It's for £472.83 so worth having in the folder. Haven't got your address so PM me and I'll stick it in the post for you.

JOHN 850
Wednesday 4th February 2009, 12:36
I thought the forementioned clip was on U tube ? If not, I think my mate still has it on VHS along with all old Volvo adds etc which I could transfer & upload.

Cheers,

John.

kyebosh
Wednesday 4th February 2009, 12:39
I thought the forementioned clip was on U tube ? If not, I think my mate still has it on VHS along with all old Volvo adds etc which I could transfer & upload.

Cheers,

John.

Cool :B_thumb:

cornclose
Wednesday 4th February 2009, 15:02

Cheers,

John.

Yes please! Do it... :gossip:

Bob France
Saturday 28th February 2009, 23:28
Hello to John 850,
I've looked on you tube for the Clarkson clip with him driving the 850R,can't find it anywhere.I would really appreciate a copy of your mates vid,or some help finding a copy,I am the new[ish] owner and would love to have the full history.Carpy gave me a write up with a picture of Clarkson with the car,but I can't find much else!! Thanks in advance for any help, Bob

AndysR
Sunday 1st March 2009, 15:36
John 850 I think you need to relieve your mate of his video collection for one night! :)

walter leever
Sunday 1st March 2009, 17:35
John 850 I think you need to relieve your mate of his video collection for one night! :)

And post the vid on here;)

carpy
Tuesday 26th May 2009, 18:17
Apologies for thread resurrection but if anyone is interested, I thought I'd post some pictures of my Audi S4 that replaced the 850R (Clarksons one) mentioned in this thread!

It's an S4 (B5 shape) but with...................

RS4 engine (lightened & balanced)
Arrow Racing Conrods
Hybrid RS6 turbos (ported / polished with ceramic coated turbine housings)
MOTEC ecu (drive by wire)
Lightweight Flywheel
Custom front mount intercooler (HUGE)
Custom oil cooler
Custom exhaust (no cats)
Porsche GT3 brakes
Koni & Eibach suspension / spring setup

Lots of other bits too. The MOTEC guy who flew over and mapped it said it's around 550bhp with ft/lbs probably about 500 ish. Not been rolling roaded but it's plenty fast enough! Took a friend for a quick spin the other day and the straight line acceleration almost made him spew. It will wheelspin in 3rd gear if you give it full beans and it's quattro 4WD lol......

Only other modifications I can think of getting done are some lightweight Recaro (pole position) seats in the front, and a water / meth injection kit that squirts at WOT. The car is a complete beast to drive (it's hard not to kangeroo it down the road unless it's perfectly flat) but I absolutely love it! It's got no aircon either due to the size of the FMIC but I soon forget all about that when the turbos kick in.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m167/K9ng/advert5.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m167/K9ng/advert6.jpg

MrMopp
Tuesday 26th May 2009, 19:39
Very nice ;) :D

Murphy
Wednesday 27th May 2009, 10:40
The spec is certainly amazing!

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 27th May 2009, 10:53
Typical woman I only looked at the pretty pictures the first time :duck:

Thats an incredible spec Carpy!!!! Never a dull day driving in that!

lance
Wednesday 27th May 2009, 11:51
Supurb

RT MECHANICS
Thursday 28th May 2009, 06:01
Apologies for thread resurrection but if anyone is interested, I thought I'd post some pictures of my Audi S4 that replaced the 850R (Clarksons one) mentioned in this thread!

It's an S4 (B5 shape) but with...................

RS4 engine (lightened & balanced)
Arrow Racing Conrods
Hybrid RS6 turbos (ported / polished with ceramic coated turbine housings)
MOTEC ecu (drive by wire)
Lightweight Flywheel
Custom front mount intercooler (HUGE)
Custom oil cooler
Custom exhaust (no cats)
Porsche GT3 brakes
Koni & Eibach suspension / spring setup

Lots of other bits too. The MOTEC guy who flew over and mapped it said it's around 550bhp with ft/lbs probably about 500 ish. Not been rolling roaded but it's plenty fast enough! Took a friend for a quick spin the other day and the straight line acceleration almost made him spew. It will wheelspin in 3rd gear if you give it full beans and it's quattro 4WD lol......

Only other modifications I can think of getting done are some lightweight Recaro (pole position) seats in the front, and a water / meth injection kit that squirts at WOT. The car is a complete beast to drive (it's hard not to kangeroo it down the road unless it's perfectly flat) but I absolutely love it! It's got no aircon either due to the size of the FMIC but I soon forget all about that when the turbos kick in.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m167/K9ng/advert5.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m167/K9ng/advert6.jpg

Hi Carpy

Looks great well done you got your dream car do pop in if your ever passing enjoy it :)

Russ

walter leever
Tuesday 2nd June 2009, 22:47
Nice machine,carpy,i like it.:Handshake

Btw John we're all still waiting in anticipation for that vhs-clippie.:confused:

volvoturboman
Saturday 27th June 2009, 04:27
What ever happened to the vid?

walter leever
Saturday 27th June 2009, 23:11
What ever happened to the vid?

I think it has boldly gone where nobody's gone before:slap:

volvoturboman
Sunday 28th June 2009, 03:39
I've been searching for that bit of footage for a long long time now. No joy.

Bob France
Sunday 28th June 2009, 17:16
I'm going to try to get in touch with Jeremy Clarkson direct.It's a shame I didn't know about the supercar run to Millau bridge[top gear recently] because I only live half an hour from there and I could have reunited him with "the Terminator".I'll keep you posted if I'm successful.
Dave, that is one serious motor car 500+bhp you had better open an account with the camera nazis.I will be over in Sept I'll give you a call for a meet.By the way,the colour's great,isn't that old bill blue, lol? Hope you enjoy your dream, Regards Bob

volvoturboman
Sunday 28th June 2009, 17:54
That would have been good, and I hope if you ever decide to sell 'the terminator' you'll let us on here know first. I'd definately be interested.

RT MECHANICS
Sunday 28th June 2009, 19:11
I'm going to try to get in touch with Jeremy Clarkson direct.It's a shame I didn't know about the supercar run to Millau bridge[top gear recently] because I only live half an hour from there and I could have reunited him with "the Terminator".I'll keep you posted if I'm successful.
Dave, that is one serious motor car 500+bhp you had better open an account with the camera nazis.I will be over in Sept I'll give you a call for a meet.By the way,the colour's great,isn't that old bill blue, lol? Hope you enjoy your dream, Regards Bob

Hi Bob

I might be able to help you get in touch with JC do pop in and see us at RT in Haslemere if you coming over would be good to see the car again.

I do hope your as keen on polishing as Dave was :)

Russ

cypher007
Sunday 12th July 2009, 12:42
ive also been searching for this. i have got a dvd Volvo gave me of alot of there ads and history. though they did say i could only have it if i didnt distribute it. so sorry but i cant upload any of it to youtube.

cypher007
Sunday 4th October 2009, 18:55
any update?