PDA

View Full Version : Warning for Lights ... where?

OogieBoogie
Friday 21st November 2008, 17:48
The dash light warning a bulb has gone is lit, but I'm damned if I can see where. I've checked :

front: parking, main, high beam, front fogs, indicators, side mounted indicators

rear: fogs, tail lights x3, braking, reverse.

Anyone have any idea what I've missed?

gazbak1
Friday 21st November 2008, 19:44
there should be 4 rear side lights thats my bet?

gazbak1

pangster
Friday 21st November 2008, 19:55
there should be 4 rear side lights thats my bet?

gazbak1

I think there should be 4 too?... you always know if its your indicators anyway with the rapid flashing on the dash! lol!! :)

MrMopp
Friday 21st November 2008, 19:58
Check your number plate lights :)

OogieBoogie
Friday 21st November 2008, 22:31
Cheers guys - I'll take a peek at the plate light - not just now though cos it's bloomin' freezin'!

OogieBoogie
Sunday 23rd November 2008, 01:55
grrr! double checked all round especially brakes and number plate bulbs - all fine. Fed up with the warning light now - could it be a wiring issue ?

rs_andy
Tuesday 25th November 2008, 13:22
only thing left to do is take all the bulbs out one by one and check em properly, maybe a brake light bulb failed and crossed the elements?

Deffo not number plate light as I have one out at the minute and it doesn't light the warning light.

cookie
Tuesday 25th November 2008, 13:45
Is warning light on all the time, does it go off when light switched to side lights, or turned off

Are all bulbs correct 55w 5/21's
Have you changed a bulb recently (IIRC circuits are paired, so it brings up light if say LH head light resitance is different to RH) This is also IIRC how it checks circuits. (changing just one headlight bulb, tail light bulb, can bring on light, due to variance)

Bulb should only illminate when the defective bulb should be lit (e.g. if light comes on when braking the a brake light is gone, if main beam bulb blown then only comes on when main beam is on)

HTH

Ben

Baj
Tuesday 25th November 2008, 16:39
Sometimes it comes on before the bulb has gone. Something to do with resistance.
If you dont have a bulb out you will soon.

Adge
Tuesday 25th November 2008, 20:45
Sometimes it comes on before the bulb has gone. Something to do with resistance.
If you dont have a bulb out you will soon.
I agree. Sometimes happens when bulb is on the way out!
Wait and see!

samadkins29
Friday 28th November 2008, 03:51
Check your number plate lights :)

what?.... you know the bulb out indicator is not for every bulb in the car

OogieBoogie
Tuesday 9th December 2008, 13:29
A belated thank you for those later replies - I still have the light on but Cookie that sounds plausible, I did replace one of the sidelight bulbs, I have a spare so I'll replace that. The one that came out was coated silver and the replacement was plain. Actually I might pop out now and do it.

Rufe
Tuesday 9th December 2008, 13:55
Cookies advice is right, though i will add that if you use a volvo bulb the light on the dash will go out, its when people use non genuine bulbs there will be a difference in resistance.

i will also add that the number plate bulbs are not in the loop for the bulb failure light warning lamp, only side lamps front and rear, brake lamps and headlamp bulbs, as far as i remember

Babybadger
Tuesday 9th December 2008, 13:57
A belated thank you for those later replies - I still have the light on but Cookie that sounds plausible, I did replace one of the sidelight bulbs, I have a spare so I'll replace that. The one that came out was coated silver and the replacement was plain. Actually I might pop out now and do it.

Check that you have replaced it with the right rated bulb , a dimmer one may cause the light to come on.

OogieBoogie
Tuesday 9th December 2008, 14:55
I've just looked at the other sidelight and found that although it's working the plastic holder is looking scorched and is melted onto the bulb! So I'm guessing that might be the issue. I'll get a replacement bulb holder - looks like I only need the very end piece as the wires in to it appear to have connectors on the end.