PDA

View Full Version : Tips to go faster! :)

pzorb
Wednesday 4th May 2005, 21:26
It's all about clutch control and the right revvs, right?
Cos i'm a bit dissapointed with my motor atm. Got a gtech off a freind and the best i could get out (on a moist road) was 15.20@101 :( And a 0-60 of 7.85 :( :( And I know they're not rated highly but still expected a half decent reading!!
So my question is to you gurus of speed:

How can I actually get up and go somewhere without the bloody wheels spinning!! What's the magical rpm before I dump (maybe ease i dunno) into first and zoom off? You must all have your own winning technique, please impart it upon the uninformed!!

Thankyou lovely people!
Martin
PS and no wise auto box'ers telling me to push the noisy pedal neither! ;) :haha:

After_Shock
Wednesday 4th May 2005, 21:35
On a dry road with my previous car the magic bit was 3500rpm but that was with the 19t turbo and the technique didnt work at all at the pod where it was too slippy.

Depends on the car and the tyres and the clutch and what spec the car is so it can vary massively.

spesh
Wednesday 4th May 2005, 21:36
15.2@101, should be in the 14's with that terminal, you are lookning at the low-mid 90's (mph) with that time. Depends on the surface how much traction you get, best bet is not to floor it in first keep it at about 3/4 throttle then into 2ND and plant the load pedal through the carpet lol! :jaw: :)

splatt
Wednesday 4th May 2005, 21:53
its about traction on the road...if the wheels are spinning u are not going forwards....,, warm the tyres up is a good bet, softens the rubber...grips better.
Some tyres are so hard a compound that it wont improve a lot.
Road surface??
A great deal depends on the air temp too...cooler it is the more dense the air is and therefore the greater volume of air is inducted (generally)...
Sooo many factors involved to make a fraction of a difference.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 4th May 2005, 23:35
What about some better boots? Just a suggestion from an "Auto boy" - LOL

vt5
Wednesday 4th May 2005, 23:36
I take it you dont have traction control...........me neither.

Ive found 2 ways.....

Either - Half throttle in first, get to change point, into second and hit it heavier feathering off to control wheelspin, into third then your away.

Or go in hard on the throttle and drag the clutch to control the power. In effect using the clutch pedal to hold back the stampeding horses. as soon as your moving at a decent pace let em go.....

Dont make it your mission to try to beat someone in a small light car off the line in a drag cos they will get away quicker at first, remember youve more weight and too much power when your momentum swings backwards, so once your rolling at a decent speed casually take them to town.

Ps Max torque dumps in at 1750rpm give or take.

Mrsmopp
Thursday 5th May 2005, 09:51
BTW are you standard or modified??

None of those readings make any sense :confused: As Spesh said a trap time of over 100mph is in the low 14's not 15's. I think you need to try again ona dry road for a start tbh

x

Murphy
Thursday 5th May 2005, 10:10
Uprated suspension will help and new tyres will help, but 200+ lb/ft through the front wheels is never going to be easy, but 0-60 0-100 1/4 etc is not the best way to judge the T5. I simply ignored the figures, and enjoyed pushing M3's [E36] Porsche 996 Carrera 4S's, anything with a Type R badge [honda, not subaru] etc. That is where the enjoyment is - just ask After shock about the shock the Astra GTE 16v had when he got chased by 3 Volvo's [2 T5's] on the way to Santa Pod. Something i don't think he was expecting - lol. But a respectably quick car, matching the sort of performance a T5 can put out, but on the road, different story !

pzorb
Thursday 5th May 2005, 10:20
I'm modified as per my sig. I do have TRACS but I only get that to do something when it snows.
Just got some new Dunlop Sp01s all round so the booties arent the problem (I hope!!)
As for the times I think they only make sense if you consider that at the start of the 1/4mile i was spinning about and only until i got grip late that I managed to crawl upto that terminal speed.
Eitherway you're right, I need to do it on a dry day!

But to keep the punishment to my very tired clutch a minimum, should I be waiting between 1/2 and 3/4 throttle and dump it (i'm liking vt5s first approach)? I would go down the route of flooring it and using clutch control to manage the power (aka the rental car technique) but I'm not doing that to a 167K clutch, it's lurchy enough as it is!!

Cheers!
Martin

Mrsmopp
Thursday 5th May 2005, 10:24
As for the times I think they only make sense if you consider that at the start of the 1/4mile i was spinning about and only until i got grip late that I managed to crawl upto that terminal speed.

Martin

Having been to almost every 1/4 mile event that we have done over the last year or so crossing the line at over 100mph isn't that easy - the 15 second runs are around 93mph and the 14 second runs around the 97mph mark so your trap speed and 1/4 mile time dont add up - maybe the gtech is the problem here??

x