PDA

View Full Version : 850 T5 front wheel bearing...!

ripper
Wednesday 4th May 2005, 20:31
I have noted my o/s/f wheel bearing is starting to become very noisey. Took car to my usual repairer who has quoted a cost of over £200.00 to repair car. Have been told that can only obtain wheel bearing as part of front hub assembley. Does anyone know if this is correct, or is there a way i can replace just the bearing.... :sick:

mikej
Wednesday 4th May 2005, 20:50
What you have been told is correct but for £200 i,d want both sides doing,a little steep to say the least .Suggest you shop around for price............
mike

vt5
Wednesday 4th May 2005, 23:24
Get a hub assmebly from a breakers and get a garage to switch them over.

Cheapest way and if it costs you more than £100 then i will presume you live down south.

I wouldnt pay more than that. I bought a manual gearbox and got it fitted for £300

How much are they new....hub assemblies?

TangoDeltaSierra3
Wednesday 4th May 2005, 23:51
I just had a front hub replaced, the part is £80 only, then yer labour, 3 hrs tops. Use an independent.

ripper
Thursday 5th May 2005, 18:45
Thanx for the advise. Is there any chance you could tell me where you managed to obtain the hub for only £80

Al115
Thursday 5th May 2005, 19:24
Don't know about TDS, but I got mine from ECP (Euro Car Parts).

Be careful though as there are more than two different versions for 850 / V70 phase 1!

Alastair

TangoDeltaSierra3
Thursday 5th May 2005, 22:33
Thanx for the advise. Is there any chance you could tell me where you managed to obtain the hub for only £80
I dunno mate i used an independent in Sheffield, i know they had to order it so i presumed they used a dealer, check euro parts branches nationwide.

siamblue
Thursday 5th May 2005, 23:21
ECP do sell gen parts,As i bought a oil filter today for £6.50 and it had Volvo plastered all over it,Anyone know the cost from the main stealer?

vt5
Thursday 5th May 2005, 23:53
Yes circa £18 ish

Always buy mine from Volvo....maybe ECP is where im going next. Just want to get OE.

TangoDeltaSierra3
Friday 6th May 2005, 01:42
Blimey they only £5 in Halfords, they do a Champion one at £6.50 i think it was.

Ken
Saturday 21st May 2005, 15:42
New one from Volvo is about £140 - I was priced one the other day. There's a guy selling new ones on ebay for about £74, but they're in the USA - I seem to remember the postage was going to be about £19.00. Genuine parts but still expensive.
The next bit of fun is actually getting the driveshaft to move so you can withdraw the hub - Vadis rekons you should give it a tap with a copper hammer - it took an 11 ton hydraulic puller to get mine moving, but it was easy after that.....

ripper
Monday 30th May 2005, 12:54
Finally got wheel bearing situation sorted. Spoke to Salvo and they have got me a hub assembley off another T5, which they are letting me have for £45 inc delivery. Also have found another local repairer to fit it for only £25. A little different to the original price of £200+ to supply and fit....

The guy's who are repairing my car are quite local to several of you other T5 drivers out there, so if you need quality service at a very good rate then i would definitely recommend "Venture Mechanical Services, Whetty lane, Rubery, Birmingham on 0121 453 1661"

I know that they are very close to where Wobbly dave lives so he may have had heard of these guy's...!

Gotta say tho, if it wasn't for Volvo T5 Forums information on Salvo Group, i seriously think i would have been paying the extortionate price to purchase part.

So a BIG thanks to all on the forum for being able to help me source the part i needed and also for all the other usefuel bits of information on the site that i have spent hours surfing through.

Matt30462
Monday 30th May 2005, 13:14
Just had Olive in for service and remedial work and I have some Volvo dealer prices to hand as follows.

Oil filter VO3517857 £6.10..........very reasonable
Hub Kit VO0274378 £140.50.......extortionate
Control Arm VO8628496 £105.00....daylight robbery
Top Engine Bushing VO9434263 £6.70........bearable
AND my personal favourite
Exhaust Bracket ZEXHAUSTBRACKET £29.95.....yes thats Twenty Nine pounds 95p.

Suffice to say, I am sourcing parts elswhere and getting them fitted by a non Volvo garage.
All that said, Cecil & Larter my local dealer were very, very good for the service and repairs I had done with them. An A1 top quality service provided.