PDA

View Full Version : ABS & BRAKE WARNING LIGHT

ShaunS70T5
Wednesday 4th May 2005, 20:07
Sometimes i get the ABS and BRAKE WARNING LIGHT lighting up also the speedo goes to zero and the mileage goes to ------.---- any ideas as to wot it can be? all happen together and its only for a few seconds to a minute

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 4th May 2005, 23:24
I would say that the ABS warning light comes on under many different conditions but all point to one thing, usually. That is the ABS ECU is faulty.

See here

http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=224

Symptoms do vary and I would get any fault codes read first to ensure that it is not a wheel sensor playing up/shorting out.

I expect that I need to repair your unit, bearing in mind exchange units (new for old) are over 300 quid. Contact me if you want my help.

Cheers

Dave

ps usually the light will come on without reason then go off again. Frequency will eventually increase as will the duration - All pointing to a faulty ABS ECU/

soopersuds
Saturday 7th May 2005, 00:04
I've just started to get this issue on the P plate 850 estate i have recently purchased, how easy is it to get sorted out?? it just comes and goes, my brakes seem to work ok though?

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 7th May 2005, 00:17
It is easy to sort. You just send me the unit and I fix it for a small fee. Job done.

I shall be blunt to make this apparent to all. Your brakes will still work - The ABS system has nothing to do with the middle pedal not working and will for most of the time never be used. That is not the issue, it is just that your ABS wont (when the light is on) and one day you might need to brake and steer at the same time. This will prove difficult with the wheels locked up.
Sods law will say the one day you actually need ABS and don't have it, all will become clear

Just a thought?

soopersuds
Saturday 7th May 2005, 01:15
cheers for that!! so you think the problem is just with the unit itself, and hence when you are complete the ABS will work as normal?

markt4
Saturday 7th May 2005, 07:23
hi do you fix primera abs ecu's???? just done our lasses , put new pads and discs on the front, and still when your driving you hear this noise , its like you have full lock on and power steering is kicking in(but it isint) you can feel it throgh the steering wheel, i pulled the abs fuse out and the noise has gone? but when you do have the fuse in no lights come on (abs) but the light is on when i pull the fuse....does that sound like the ecu is knackerd? and if you cant fix them could i pull one from another primera and stick it in to our lasses or do they have to be programmed?

mark

MattB
Saturday 7th May 2005, 17:54
cheers for that!! so you think the problem is just with the unit itself, and hence when you are complete the ABS will work as normal?

In my case, it did - see here.....

http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1918

Matt. :wink:

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 7th May 2005, 22:57
hi do you fix primera abs ecu's???? just done our lasses , put new pads and discs on the front, and still when your driving you hear this noise , its like you have full lock on and power steering is kicking in(but it isint) you can feel it throgh the steering wheel, i pulled the abs fuse out and the noise has gone? but when you do have the fuse in no lights come on (abs) but the light is on when i pull the fuse....does that sound like the ecu is knackerd? and if you cant fix them could i pull one from another primera and stick it in to our lasses or do they have to be programmed?

markSorry mate - Volvo only. I have about as much clue on the Primera as a small ant has on the English Reformation - namely not a lot.

However we do have contacts. Seek out and find "Random Guy" - he is a member of NPOC and would have a clue (see Judgeninga for more info)