PDA

View Full Version : Boot open switch, whats it all about??

ahhpigsy
Saturday 15th November 2008, 23:56
I had my drivers door card off today to fix a handle prob and while i had it off i had a look at the wiring and the switch that opens the boot lock. It doesnt work, that bugs me cos i fix things for a living and i dont like broken things. If anybody knows of a common fault with this let me know, i can hear a click, probably a relay but it does not unlock the boot.
I hope i can fix it but what i cant figure out is what the hell is it for?, it just unlocks the boot, if you are going to open the boot, which if you use the switch you probably are then you are going to be stood by the boot, why not just unlock it there?.
If like the new V70s the boot actually opened then cool, great job, but it doesnt, why?

Comments appreciated.

Ta

Steve

siamblue
Sunday 16th November 2008, 00:56
Does it unlock with the key fob? if so the switch in the door is at fault, if not the it might be the latch in the boot, i have a spare good working V70 one here from V70r if you want to go down that road pm me if you do?

Gary

pangster
Sunday 16th November 2008, 12:37
I had my drivers door card off today to fix a handle prob and while i had it off i had a look at the wiring and the switch that opens the boot lock. It doesnt work, that bugs me cos i fix things for a living and i dont like broken things. If anybody knows of a common fault with this let me know, i can hear a click, probably a relay but it does not unlock the boot.
I hope i can fix it but what i cant figure out is what the hell is it for?, it just unlocks the boot, if you are going to open the boot, which if you use the switch you probably are then you are going to be stood by the boot, why not just unlock it there?.
If like the new V70s the boot actually opened then cool, great job, but it doesnt, why?

Comments appreciated.

Ta

Steve

Have you checked to make sure the boot lock hasn't been turned to the valet position as the switch inside the car won't work if it has.. your handbook should tell you how to check this.. as far as functionality goes it just means the driver doesn't need to get out or remove the keys from the ignition to open the boot for someone else?

Although not specifically for C70's this link might help as it explains about the settings:

http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/1998/1998_SV70/98sv70_045.htm

Does the boot open with the remote as well??

HTH

Pandamedic
Sunday 16th November 2008, 20:26
as far as i know on mine, it only works if the doors are locked.

Ie you're in the car, lock the doors when you set off like some people do. when you get out the car using the drivers door handle (without hitting the central locking switch) it only unlocks the drivers door if you've noticed? leaving all the other doors locked including the boot. If you pull on the boot switch it will unlock the boot, but all the others will still be locked. It doesn't pop the boot. just unlocks it. So this means there only doors unlocked will be the drivers door and boot, whether this was a little extra security so you could get in the boot without having to unlock all the doors i have no idea.

I know on alot of new cars like the ones at work, if you unlock the car with the remote it only does the drivers door unless you press the boot again to unlock the rest