PDA

View Full Version : RR Day results???

850twr
Friday 14th November 2008, 22:32
Hi, i was aware that a few of the guys on vpcuk where all going on a rolling road session together, as i read on a previous thread.
I'm basically really eager to hear peoples results in relation to their mods/remaps that they have installed. It is a very good opportunity for accurate comparisons and would be very grateful if you could comment how it all went.

thanks.

Tomcat
Friday 14th November 2008, 23:14
Why not come along and have a look then?.

850twr
Friday 14th November 2008, 23:36
I would of love to come along but im working 7 days a week up until Christmas, i'm at the point of purchasing a remap and would really find any info helpful.
once my ecu is sorted for the new year i will definatly come along if your planning on doing any more. thanks.

t5 pete
Friday 14th November 2008, 23:39
where you from theres a rr in manchester

850twr
Friday 14th November 2008, 23:56
east sussex mate, south coast, lol

850twr
Saturday 15th November 2008, 00:04
ah actualy pete, you have the hml map dont you? is what im swaying towards, what where your readings? and do you have other mods? do you get a flywheel figure aswell as the wheels? lol so many questions :p

t5 pete
Saturday 15th November 2008, 00:04
bit far away from manchester then lol

850twr
Saturday 15th November 2008, 00:05
and yea just a bit, lol!

cameron
Saturday 15th November 2008, 02:25
Hey 850 im going or a HML Map on wednesday, i'll let you know how i get on

:B_thumb:

Cheers bud

Welcome by the way if i havent said it ;)

Lee

Yosser
Saturday 15th November 2008, 08:34
I'm sure my dyno graphs have been posted before, but here are the power and torque curves for the standard and then modified ecu:

Standard ECU:

http://usera.ImageCave.com/nforsyth/volvo/power.JPG

http://usera.ImageCave.com/nforsyth/volvo/torque.JPG

Modified ECU:

http://usera.ImageCave.com/nforsyth/volvo/new ecu power.JPG

http://usera.ImageCave.com/nforsyth/volvo/new ecu torque.JPG

The car is a 1997 V70 T5 auto. ECU from HLM.

850twr
Saturday 15th November 2008, 14:30
hey thanks for your graphs mate, and cameron i look forward to hearing how you get on, 265 at the flywheel im really not that impressed with to be honest, does certainly seem to make the power much more usable, is your car completely stock other than your hml ecu yosser?

850twr
Saturday 15th November 2008, 14:33
ah appears i have read the graph wrong, 275? thats actually not bad

irf
Saturday 15th November 2008, 14:43
sadly the reason you're not impressed is because the volvo community as a whole is supposed to believe figures of 304 and 310bhp from a rica remap on a 15G and 16T respectively.

there's nothing wrong with any of the off the shelf established maps as far as i'm aware.

also, something to bear in mind is that some rolling roads are more equal then others. so if someone did post a graph of an otherwise standard T5 producing anywhere near 300bhp then, well, it's a load of balls:D

useful info can be found at http://www.wothrline.com/main.html. go to main page on the left and then "engine performance and tuning".

if the above post offends anyone, tough. i'm not posting anything that isn't common knowledge anyway. i'm not posting to provoke, just to help.

Yosser
Saturday 15th November 2008, 14:46
The results from the modified ecu were 251.4 bhp at the wheels, or an estimated 272.9 at the flywheel.

The standard ecu gave 218.1 bhp at the wheels, an estimated 246.2 at the flywheel.

The car is standard with the exception of a BMC panel air filter and a home made reverse flow intercooler setup.

I have done all the stage 0 stuff, including having the injectors cleaned by Jimathan.

Yosser
Saturday 15th November 2008, 14:49
Irf makes good points.

FWIW I was never under the impression that anything over 275 was likely, also, my before and after runs - although not on the same day - were on the same dyno, so even if the peak figures are in doubt then the relative increase is fairly transparent.

850twr
Saturday 15th November 2008, 14:55
yea 250 at the wheels i would be happy with so i am going to go the hml route, thanks for posting guys

BigV
Saturday 15th November 2008, 21:22
Why is everybody so concerned with the numbers? Seriously, even as a young guy who likes fast cars, I just don't get it. Sure it is how the car drives?

Sometimes I get the feeling that some people would have a remap done, be really happy, then get their car on a rolling road and be disappointed that they didn't get XXXbhp at the wheels.

I think it is a bit strange myself....... You wont get serious power (300bhp+) without spending serious money at the end of the day, and a remapped or MBC'd T5 is still faster than nearly every other car I have ever encountered on the road.

My understanding is that rolling roads can vary so much that the one place could give you 240 and the next place 40 miles down the road would be telling you 280........ I mean you might as well save the money and just pluck a figure out of thin air for your mates down the pub. :D

It is the grin factor that people should be worried about IMO...... that and the ability to embarrass BMW 5 series drivers, that is what does it for me.

S70T5Chris
Sunday 16th November 2008, 06:50
Why is everybody so concerned with the numbers? Seriously, even as a young guy who likes fast cars, I just don't get it. Sure it is how the car drives?

Sometimes I get the feeling that some people would have a remap done, be really happy, then get their car on a rolling road and be disappointed that they didn't get XXXbhp at the wheels.

I think it is a bit strange myself....... You wont get serious power (300bhp+) without spending serious money at the end of the day, and a remapped or MBC'd T5 is still faster than nearly every other car I have ever encountered on the road.

My understanding is that rolling roads can vary so much that the one place could give you 240 and the next place 40 miles down the road would be telling you 280........ I mean you might as well save the money and just pluck a figure out of thin air for your mates down the pub. :D

It is the grin factor that people should be worried about IMO...... that and the ability to embarrass BMW 5 series drivers, that is what does it for me.

Bang on!

S70T5Chris
Sunday 16th November 2008, 06:51
yea 250 at the wheels i would be happy with so i am going to go the hml route, thanks for posting guys

Who is this HML you speak of? Are they new?!! :haha:

RT MECHANICS
Sunday 16th November 2008, 08:19

Hi Bigv :)

I see your point but would say if you stick to reliable and accurate RR's like any Dyno Dynamics RR you will get very very similar results of course if the operator is not a good one then you can get probs :)

I think its always nice to have a figure then you can say your car HAS got ***/*** ftlbs :)

You can say what you like down the pub instead though as its a cheaper option :lol:

Russ

BigV
Sunday 16th November 2008, 08:32
Hi Bigv :)

I see your point but would say if you stick to reliable and accurate RR's like any Dyno Dynamics RR you will get very very similar results of course if the operator is not a good one then you can get probs :)

I think its always nice to have a figure then you can say your car HAS got ***/*** ftlbs :)

Russ

so basically you just confirmed what I just said? :dgrin: Rolling roads & the figures they produce are purely for c*ck waving purposes.

RT MECHANICS
Sunday 16th November 2008, 08:36
so basically you just confirmed what I just said? :dgrin: Rolling roads & the figures they produce are purely for c*ck waving purposes.

:D

Russ

lance
Monday 17th November 2008, 14:37
Just going back I saw a C70 T5 make 300 bhp at the fly wheel on rica software about 4 years ago at well lane. Mine made 266 fly but my turbo was worn and on vt rollers it made 230 WHP, however a bigger 19T turbo and custom map produced 280 WHP taking her well above the 300 BHP mark.
I think it unrealistic to expect huge gains from a remap interms of BHP on 10 yr + cars there are so many variables and worn items, what you see is more interms of increase is more torque which is ussually a greater gain than BHP!

850 2.5 10v
Monday 17th November 2008, 15:57
What would be really interesting is to see firstly how many bhp have gone walkies as a standard car has got older.

Top Gear did this with their Porsches if IIRC.

> And then see how many an ECU map will add back on.

WIBRIT that a car that's lost say 50bhp as standard over time then had a remap that supposed to give +50bhp means its just back to original factory standard?

????

Cheers

pangster
Monday 17th November 2008, 20:42
WIBRIT that a car that's lost say 50bhp as standard over time then had a remap that supposed to give +50bhp means its just back to original factory standard?

That's generally why most people advise you to get a full Stage 0 done first before attempting to tune it further.. a full Stage 0 will make sure the car is in best shape for any further tuning.. it might not restore it to bang on factory power due to so many other variables but the car will be in the best shape possible to tune.. as opposed to sticking in a remapped ECU first and then wondering why you're not making the supposed power or having issues with boost etc! lol!:)

It's always easier to start from a solid base! :)

RT MECHANICS
Tuesday 18th November 2008, 20:33
That's generally why most people advise you to get a full Stage 0 done first before attempting to tune it further.. a full Stage 0 will make sure the car is in best shape for any further tuning.. it might not restore it to bang on factory power due to so many other variables but the car will be in the best shape possible to tune.. as opposed to sticking in a remapped ECU first and then wondering why you're not making the supposed power or having issues with boost etc! lol!:)

It's always easier to start from a solid base! :)

Well said P a good solid base is the place to start :)

Russ