PDA

View Full Version : Problematic Starting

Torch S70R
Thursday 13th November 2008, 10:14
car is S70 R Auto '98 non ME7
its becoming increasingly difficult to start as of late, when it does start the idle is spot on and no misfires so im guessing its part of the initial starting process (maybe coil)
the battery strength is good
can someone give me a list of possible things to check?

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 13th November 2008, 14:06
Could be fuel pressure. I am currently suffering with bad starts due to Low FP (hopefully will be fixed by HLM by the time I get back) - which is either dogdy fuel pump or a bad injector(s). It may also be ignition - spark plugs or dissy/cap rotor. I know mine is low FP - coz the fault codes said so.

irf
Thursday 13th November 2008, 14:52
torch, i'd check for, said above, the fuel pump, fuel pump relay, crankshaft sensor and depending on when they've last been changed, spark plugs, leads and all the other usual suspects(rotor arm, distributor cap etc)

y2blade
Thursday 13th November 2008, 15:05
the first thing i'd check is the fuel pump relay its the cheapest and easyest of the likely componants

Torch S70R
Thursday 13th November 2008, 18:34
no fault codes thrown up but will check the plugs leads and fuel pump/relay tomorrow
have checked the dizzy cap and rotor and both appear to be in very good nick, as i said when the car is running it is spot on and no hint of a problem :(

Jaseb77
Thursday 13th November 2008, 19:49
do a search on Crank sensor,

does it keep turning over and won't catch ?
Maybe imobiliser in ign barrel not reconising Key ? perhaps

Torch S70R
Thursday 13th November 2008, 21:02
thats exactly what it sounds like m8, turning over but not catching

Jaseb77
Friday 14th November 2008, 10:29
take key out when turning over then re-insert, see if that make any difference.

My S70 used to do that and pulled out and re-inserted (ooh-er missus)
then it would start

timbo_1975
Friday 14th November 2008, 17:47
Fuel pump relay, and ignition switch are first things to check / swap out on these for this kind of starting problem.

Tim..

Torch S70R
Friday 14th November 2008, 18:59
gonna spend all day tomorrow working on it, fuel pump sounds very quiet not as loud as i remember so relay might not be latching properly
also gonna check strength of battery and earthing
was a bit better today when i was using the spare key, altho it still required 2 - 3 attempts