PDA

View Full Version : So anoying

stainesy
Wednesday 12th November 2008, 18:08
why is it that with the auto it lets you down and make an ars of you when ever it feels like it.

what i mean is i can make my car kickdown and tear off with awsum power when ever i plant my foot but there is certain times when the autobox decides not to change down and just eccelerates from where it is even if is in low revs.

and why is it that when ever you are next to somebody giving it the bigen and you just wona blow them away that thats the time it decides not to change down.

bet a few of you auto owners no what i mean.

realy does my head in that it always tears off when ever i want exept when up against somebody :splat:

t5 pete
Wednesday 12th November 2008, 18:36
the kick down cable could be loose or do the 850 have a electric unit that controlls the kick down

stainesy
Wednesday 12th November 2008, 18:47
the kick down cable could be loose or do the 850 have a electric unit that controlls the kick down

not sure. think its just normal and depends on where the revs are and what gear its in when you floor it if it actuly drops a gear or not. think im gona actuly fit my mbc tomorow and see what diferance it makes

cameron
Wednesday 12th November 2008, 19:07
Tell you what is annoying, you go out to the car in the morning and some tosser's had your V70 side repeaters off, and the wheel centers :(

Lee

5seaterT5x2
Wednesday 12th November 2008, 19:12
not sure. think its just normal and depends on where the revs are and what gear its in when you floor it if it actuly drops a gear or not. think im gona actuly fit my mbc tomorow and see what diferance it makes

pretty sure it's electric

nathT5
Wednesday 12th November 2008, 19:14
Tell you what is annoying, you go out to the car in the morning and some tosser's had your V70 side repeaters off, and the wheel centers :(

Lee

you really need to move :mad:

stainesy
Wednesday 12th November 2008, 19:16

Lee

what? when did that happen? didnt no you had a v70?

t5 pete
Wednesday 12th November 2008, 19:28
sounds bad lee

stainesy
Wednesday 12th November 2008, 19:36
what? when did that happen? didnt no you had a v70?

just read my own thread back and realised you was on about on your new T-5.

mate that aint good. what a c*n*.

cameron
Wednesday 12th November 2008, 20:03
No mate on the white t5 that hasnt even gone yet, i had to go to the local breakers and get some more :mad111:

I couldnt find any V70 ones so its got the anber ones back on it now.

just hope the buyer is understanding ;)

Lee

Volvostorm
Wednesday 12th November 2008, 20:09
I hate anybody touching my cars, feel really bad for you mate

stainesy
Wednesday 12th November 2008, 20:21
oh mate in feel for you. i go nuts if people touch my car. dont even like people standing by it

y2blade
Wednesday 12th November 2008, 20:42
the bulkhead side of the throttle cable has a plug in connector for the kickdown switch...unplug it and spray some cleaner in the connector then plug it back in

cameron
Wednesday 12th November 2008, 20:46
Buyers ok with it ;)

Lee

t5 pete
Wednesday 12th November 2008, 20:47
thats good then pal

MrMark
Wednesday 12th November 2008, 20:56
translated:

"I wanted to keep those bits so swapped them for the originals!"

t5 pete
Wednesday 12th November 2008, 20:58
translated:

you have a very devious mind and im sure lee wouldnt do that

stainesy
Wednesday 12th November 2008, 21:00
translated:

LMAO that is a good idea tho.
no your saying this to cover your trax incase the buyer joins the site LOL
only joking mate :duck:

cameron
Wednesday 12th November 2008, 21:13
Ahhh thats where your wrong Mr Mark ;),

Another set of V70 sides are only £6 off ebay, i'll but some for my new car

The repeaters and the wheel centers i got from my local breakers for £5, bargain :B_thumb:

And the new owner is already on this site anyway and he knows all about it ;)

Cheers bud

Lee

Volvostorm
Wednesday 12th November 2008, 22:03
Thats good then :)

jez.w
Thursday 13th November 2008, 10:15
I have had that a couple of times where it wont kick down. But since i swapped ecu for the rica HLM 280 ecu the car changes gear very quick and slick, i have not had this problem since. Not sure why the autobox would be different but it is smoother and never hessitates now. Prehaps the software for the gearbox is changed on the rica, or does box just work better with more power? On standard ecu in economy mode my box was changing up at 4000 rpm, now with rica it changes up at just over 5000 rpm so that is definitely different. Maybe somebody will know the answer, my autobox seems far better with rica280.

cameron
Thursday 13th November 2008, 10:22
Would you reccomend the 280 or do you always wonder what the 304 would be like?

Lee

jez.w
Thursday 13th November 2008, 11:40
I have only tried the Hamish 280. Since i have got the 280 i have taken on some quick cars at traffic lights etc and passed them easily. As i mentioned before, my autobox is very slick with no kickdown problems since ecu upgrade. Dont want to drive around near rev limiter too often, so low and mid range power seems more useful, and it pulls really hard up to 6000rpm now. Boost gauge needle goes off the end of white on gauge with full throttle so i dont think 280 is short of boost. Any more power and it would smoke the tyres too much. You just use normal unleaded fuel too and better mpg now. The 280 is more agressive low down in the rev range, 304 is more agressive at high revs according to HLM. The 280 has made my car noticably much faster and more responsive, the auto box seems instant and smoother. The acceleration when overtaking or pulling away is savage now. I would not like to go back to standard power. I cant really help you decide which Rica to get, as it depends on your driving style. If you drive your car within an inch of its life or like you stole it then maybe the 304 is best, otherwise 280 wont disappoint you.

jez.w
Thursday 13th November 2008, 11:49
New car sounds good by the way Cameron!

cameron
Thursday 13th November 2008, 12:10
Cheers bud, general concensious for an Auto box is the 280 then ;)

Hamish i'll see you next week buddy for the 280 :B_thumb:

Cheers guys and gal ( Mrs M )

Lee

cameron
Thursday 13th November 2008, 12:20
Cheers bud :D

Ive got some plans for it already ;)

Its getting lowered on T5R Springs about a 20mm drop.

Its getting the Rica 280 on Wednesday next week :B_thumb:

Its getting some 17's or 18's at some point , im looking at some Orestes at the minute that look tidy, or i may go for some more Tethys, what do you think ?

Im gonna get another DV banged on it like the white one, Stainesy assures me it sounds the ££££££££ even on an auto ! So i'll be after another Blanking plate if anybody has one ;)

The rear windows im hoping to get tinted

I'll get some V70 side repeaters, i think the clear ones look loads better, especially on a darker car.

My Mrs is getting me a 6K HID Conversion for Crimbo

I'm taking the roof rails off, i dont like the look of the car with them on, i never have, just preference i think.

Just a few mods that'll be happening :D

Cheers jez

Lee

New car sounds good by the way Cameron!

wegal
Thursday 13th November 2008, 16:39
NOOOOO dont do it half assed, get the 304. sod the wheels spin, youll get used to it, especially in 4th on a wet motorway ;-) mine pulls hard to 3500 and then goes ballistic beyond there, it pulls harder and harder all the way round to the limit.

If you increasing the power dont go halfway, you will regret it, especially when that scooby starts pulling away from you 100 +.

cameron
Thursday 13th November 2008, 16:43
Whats the top end on a rica'd t5 with the 304? 150?

Scoobys are only 130 arent they as standard?

Cheers

Lee

Niles
Thursday 13th November 2008, 16:45
304 it cameron, my auto can handle it & go's like the clappers!

Niles
Thursday 13th November 2008, 16:45
Whats the top end on a rica'd t5 with the 304? 150?

Scoobys are only 130 arent they as standard?

Cheers

Lee

i had 158mph with a little spare mph's on the A3 autobahn in June

cameron
Thursday 13th November 2008, 16:46
Bloody hell ! :jaw:

Lee

Yosser
Thursday 13th November 2008, 16:47
304 it cameron, my auto can handle it & go's like the clappers!

Me too :)

Niles
Thursday 13th November 2008, 16:49
Bloody hell ! :jaw:

Lee

lol

cameron
Thursday 13th November 2008, 16:51
Does it need additional oil cooling?

Cheers

Lee

Niles
Thursday 13th November 2008, 17:01
dunno mate but..........
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b91/camelbeanie/2006_0202solenoidsandpipes0013.jpg

jez.w
Thursday 13th November 2008, 17:34
Hamish told me that there is little bhp difference between both maps (304 is not 24 bhp more than 280). There is only a few bhp in it apparently. Its more to do with how the power is delivered. Also too much wheel spin will make your car slower as cant get power down. I have real trouble not wheel spinning my auto on 280 map, so more agressive power at high revs with 304 map means i might get overtaken by a corsa while im smoking my tyres up 6000 rpm. I reckon when driving about on normal roads, and giving it the odd blast then lower down power might be more useful. It would be nice to try both in my car then i could tell you.

t5 pete
Thursday 13th November 2008, 17:58
Hamish told me that there is little bhp difference between both maps (304 is not 24 bhp more than 280). There is only a few bhp in it apparently. Its more to do with how the power is delivered. Also too much wheel spin will make your car slower as cant get power down. I have real trouble not wheel spinning my auto on 280 map, so more agressive power at high revs with 304 map means i might get overtaken by a corsa while im smoking my tyres up 6000 rpm. I reckon when driving about on normal roads, and giving it the odd blast then lower down power might be more useful. It would be nice to try both in my car then i could tell you.

What i can gather is that the 304 is meant to be alot more aggresive but never mind the bhp its the torque what we need to know surley there should be a good difference in torque between the 280 and 304

jez.w
Thursday 13th November 2008, 18:00
yes that is true, torque is what matters, 280 map has more torque lower down the rev range apparently.

t5 pete
Thursday 13th November 2008, 18:09
so really if the 280 has more torque lower down that will mean it will pull a lot harder causing more wheel spin than the 304 would it

jez.w
Thursday 13th November 2008, 18:19
I have found that my car starts to wheel spin as the revs get above 4000rpm, so at about 5000 rpm its starts to break lose even in the dry. If i had more power at 5000rpm it would spin even more. Its hard to say what is best, as i say i have an auto. Manual cars will be more controllable for wheel spin etc so 304 is probably not a problem.

stainesy
Thursday 13th November 2008, 18:28
iv herd the 280 is much better for autos than the 30 as it give the car more grunt at low revs where the auto needs it and the 304 is better for manuals. is that true?

and my car dont have a rica and in low gears if i boot it it revs up to 6000rpm in eco mode in the first few gears

jez.w
Thursday 13th November 2008, 18:35
Its a tricky one, different maps suit different driving conditions, it depends what you are looking for. They are the same price £150, so its up to the individual driving style. Having the engine running well will make the most difference, some of the higher mileage t5 must have worn turbos and engines and so will be down on power. So each car will differ anyway making it difficult to compare.

stainesy
Thursday 13th November 2008, 19:44
Its a tricky one, different maps suit different driving conditions, it depends what you are looking for. They are the same price £150, so its up to the individual driving style. Having the engine running well will make the most difference, some of the higher mileage t5 must have worn turbos and engines and so will be down on power. So each car will differ anyway making it difficult to compare.

yeah think im gona go for the 280 as it suits autos better and i want lower down power and the ability to use normal fuel if i want to rather than higher octane stuff all the time.
did you get a rica 280 ecu sent to you or did you go see hamish?

t5 pete
Thursday 13th November 2008, 19:50
I know the auto to a manual is very different but it would be good to get them on a quater mile the auto with the 280 and the manual with 304 and see what the results would be

BigV
Thursday 13th November 2008, 19:53
I can recommend the 280 on an auto car........ goes like a rocket, so much better than the standard set up, Volvo really could have made these cars 300bhp as standard I am sure.

I think the main difference is the take off time, there is much, much less hanging around doing nothing when you plant the go-go pedal...... with the 280 it just takes off instantly compared to stock.

Personally having experienced the 280 I'm not sure I would bother with a 304 if it is even more aggressive...... just today in the wet weather I am spinning the wheels all the way to 60mph in sport mode, torque steer and all, any more power has got to be a waste of time without making other mods to match (handling etc).

t5 pete
Thursday 13th November 2008, 20:02
just today in the wet weather I am spinning the wheels all the way to 60mph in sport mode, torque steer and all, any more power has got to be a waste of time without making other mods to match (handling etc).

That was the first thing that was mentiond to me when i was woundering weather to have the 304 most people said it would be better to uprate the suspension and brakes my car was all kitted up before i started to increase the power so i wouldnt know what it would be like on a standard car but for a manual i think the 304 has to be the best and also agree with you for the 280 probley being the best for an auto also a lot of people on this site have mentiond that the auto boxes arnt anywhere near as strong as the manual box

Mrsmopp
Thursday 13th November 2008, 20:06
I know the auto to a manual is very different but it would be good to get them on a quater mile the auto with the 280 and the manual with 304 and see what the results would be

Many years ago we used to do a lot of RWYB days and the Auto's generally got the better 1/4 mile times due to lack of driver error - guaranteed if your gonna ££££ up a gear change it'll be on the 1/4 mile lol!

x

t5 pete
Thursday 13th November 2008, 20:08
very true mrs m

cameron
Thursday 13th November 2008, 20:14
Im swaying towards the 280 but i dont want to have the " what if i had the 304 " syndrome :confused:

Lee

stainesy
Thursday 13th November 2008, 20:32
Im swaying towards the 280 but i dont want to have the " what if i had the 304 " syndrome :confused:

Lee

mate witht the auto its the low down grunt you need rather than high end grund.
as the auto lacks low down power but is great top end. i would defo go for the 280 in an auto.
after all the things iv read and herd sounds to me like the manuals are best with 304 and the autos are best with 280.

if i got the 304 in an auto i think id be spending alot of the time thinking what is the 280 like

t5 pete
Thursday 13th November 2008, 20:39
hi lee when we have a meet up ill take you out in myne and altho the aut to a manual is different you can see what the 304 is like they might just endup being around the same in low gears the thing that makes me happy with the 304 is the pulling power in 3rd 4th and fith but when driving a auto it will just kick down when floored where with a man a 60-70 you can keep in 4th of 5th, at the end of the day its up to you and what your wanting from it the real question i think you need to ask is will the 304 damage the box or put it under alot of stress

jez.w
Friday 14th November 2008, 08:24
PM'd you Stainsey

BigV
Saturday 15th November 2008, 07:55

Lee

I can only tell you what HLM told me...... basically there is no difference between the power figures, just the way it drives.

Also bear in mind that if you get the 304 you are going to be wanting higher octane petrol, like optimax or bp ultimate, which is a bit more expensive and not as easy to find (in my experience anyway).

They are both the same price anyway, so it is personal preference..... I have never once wondered what the 304 would be like myself....... and I am getting about an extra 2mpg, which is basically 10% extra on one of these cars.

From what I have read and been told, there is little difference between all the remaps from all sources when it comes to 0-100 or bhp, just slight differences in the way they drive and deliver the power, and obviously now the price factor comes in to it with the £150 deal being offered for older cars.

LesRED850R
Saturday 15th November 2008, 09:18
Do a manual g/box conversion!!! Or something completely out there ..... a manual shift control with paddle-shift . Yes , an IPD newsletter of yore had the conversion-in-progress [ on a an atmo 850 , just for the fact that it can be done.....] Look here,download and see page 6... OR trick up the auto, see a performance auto tranny shop. http://www.ipdusa.com/nl-22

850twr
Saturday 15th November 2008, 14:40
yea manual really is the way forward with these cars, never saw the point in having a performance automatic, just takes all the fun out driving, not to mention power!