PDA

View Full Version : ELM323 Problem with 1996 850

BruceT
Tuesday 11th November 2008, 21:54
My 850 is OBDII compliant.

I have a ELM323 OBDII > USB.

Install it on windows vista laptop ok

But I cannot get it to connect to the car.

Ive tried with the ignition on position I and II and also with the engine running.

OBD Scanmaster says Bus Innit: FB Error

ProScan fails to initialize the interface also...

Basically the hardware is ok but the cars ecu is not talking??

HELP lol

pangster
Tuesday 11th November 2008, 22:31

I have a ELM323 OBDII > USB.

Install it on windows vista laptop ok

But I cannot get it to connect to the car.

Ive tried with the ignition on position I and II and also with the engine running.

OBD Scanmaster says Bus Innit: FB Error

ProScan fails to initialize the interface also...

Basically the hardware is ok but the cars ecu is not talking??

HELP lol

did you install the drivers that came with it?

BruceT
Tuesday 11th November 2008, 22:34
Are you on msn mate?

The mini-cd would not auto run, so I copied the contents of the cd to my desktop. There is loads of .inf, .sys, & .cat files.

I thinks its all installed, i have windows vista... I dont know what im doing thats wrong :(

When I plug the ELM323 in I get the 2 red lights on the ELM on and Laptop doesnt say anything is missing drivers etc...

When trying to connect the leds flash red and green... then it just fails to connect

pangster
Tuesday 11th November 2008, 22:37
Are you on msn mate?

The mini-cd would not auto run, so I copied the contents of the cd to my desktop. There is loads of .inf, .sys, & .cat files.

I thinks its all installed, i have windows vista... I dont know what im doing thats wrong :(

When I plug the ELM323 in I get the 2 red lights on the ELM on and Laptop doesnt say anything is missing drivers etc...

When trying to connect the leds flash red and green... then it just fails to connect

on now! :)

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 11th November 2008, 22:45
Have you installed the usb drivers for the elm323?

see here

http://www.myscantool.com/download/

and download the "ftdi usb" drivers

Also, proscan requires the ".Net framework version 1.1" installed.

Jod T5
Tuesday 11th November 2008, 22:45
You will not be able to read flash codes with anything other than a flashcode reader, this includes the fuel ECM...
Cheers
Jod

Alan M
Wednesday 12th November 2008, 07:49

No its not.

As Jod said you can only use a home made reader or use the correct software from Volvo.

BruceT
Wednesday 12th November 2008, 08:50
What?!

Even though it has a OBDII connection under the coin holder under the fag tray??

Niles
Wednesday 12th November 2008, 09:11
my 850 T5 '96 has the same OBD port under the coin holder, its not 100% compliant. Only a home made reader or Volvo software will read it, I've tried all sorts of OBD2 code readers & none of them work. A garage tried to read the codes with a Snap-On code reader, all they could read is the gearbox codes.

Justin
Wednesday 12th November 2008, 09:12
Yes thats right Bruce. Only the 97> S/C/V series cars were truly OBDII compliant. The 850 has the basis of it but not all of the interface.

BruceT
Wednesday 12th November 2008, 10:16
Oh great :(

Thats why it doesnt work then...

That was a waste of money then!

So, what DOES work that I can buy (Under £40) to read the codes on my 96 "Fake" OBDII then? lol

Alan M
Wednesday 12th November 2008, 10:20
A multimeter and a few bits of wire then follow the instructions over on the VOC pinned section. Use the multimeter in place of the led then watch for the spikes in voltage which indicates the flash/led flash. Thats how I do mine if I suspect something is amiss.

BruceT
Wednesday 12th November 2008, 10:22
Got a link to it mate?

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 12th November 2008, 11:11
Yes thats right Bruce. Only the 97> S/C/V series cars were truly OBDII compliant. The 850 has the basis of it but not all of the interface.

Except the 850 AWD which had the M4.4 ecu which has some obdII compliance:wink:

Alan M
Wednesday 12th November 2008, 13:58
Got a link to it mate?

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=46943

BruceT
Wednesday 12th November 2008, 14:39
Does anyone do or have a plug-in code reader then for these?

Alan M
Wednesday 12th November 2008, 15:51
Jod makes them and sells them IIRC. Ask him if he has any at the moment.

BruceT
Wednesday 12th November 2008, 15:56
Cheers buddy :)

850twr
Thursday 13th November 2008, 00:39
just get a copy of vadis mate, i found version 2005c floating around, is all you need

BruceT
Thursday 13th November 2008, 08:38
Vadis will work even though my car is not Fully Compliantnwith OBDII??

russell2419
Thursday 13th November 2008, 17:51
This may also help. I spoke to Ilexa some months ago and virtually no one does anything for the Motronic 4.3 system. Mac tools can be configured but the price is stupid.
Yesterday, my Lambda light came on. Some months ago I bought a Sykes Pickavant acr handset, Volvo lead and versions 1 and 2 Volvo pods. Version 1 is not much use, but version 2 does seem to be able to read codes and put out warning lights. It worked a treat to day on my beast. Sealey have released a code reader very recently which is approx £225.00 from Classic Car World and it says that it will do Volvos older than ours.
May help.