PDA

View Full Version : Intermitent Wiper Delay

Martinr
Wednesday 4th May 2005, 13:03
Apparently, the VW/Audi variable intermittent wiper relay can be used in some if not all 850s and S/V70s. The part numbers (VW), for the programable relay is 3B 0955 531. Available from ECP circa £30.

Installation is a direct replacement. Once installed, you lift the wiper lever into the intermittent position and then back to the stop position. The relay 'counts' until you move the lever back to the intermittent position. The interval becomes the new delay. Not sure what the upper limit is.

Has anyone tried this modification?

MattV70
Wednesday 4th May 2005, 13:20
Does the VW relay look like any other relay? Coz I'd imagine that the processor / computer that's feeding the signal voltage to the relay will do the counting and not the relay itself.

Usually a relay is only capable of turning on and off, so unless the VW relay is completely different it won't actually do the county bit. If it fits directly into the position of the old relay you might just find that it works the same way as the std one!

You should be able to tell as the physical dimensions of the relay will have to be bigger if it can count!

I'd be interested to know if it does though as i've never heard about that sort of thing before!

steveT5
Wednesday 4th May 2005, 13:48
This sounds like something to rush out and do straight away, I can't understand why such good spec cars don't have this feature as standard.

MattV70
Wednesday 4th May 2005, 13:52
This sounds like something to rush out and do straight away, I can't understand why such good spec cars don't have this feature as standard.

The new shape V70's do!

Pedro Fandango
Wednesday 4th May 2005, 14:02
i've read about doing that in an old VOC magazine so assume they wouldn't have printed it without trying it, keep threating to do it myself

steveT5
Wednesday 4th May 2005, 14:10
You should try it Martin and let us know how it goes, then if it doesn't work we can avoid it like the plauge !

siamblue
Wednesday 4th May 2005, 14:11
There's a place in the States sells the proper ones that they know for sure does the job,FCP Forton.

Redbrick
Thursday 5th May 2005, 16:04
Did this mod a few years ago. Got the part from an Audi dealership.

Part number on the box was: 3B0 955 531.

I couldn't fit it myself as my arms are too big, you have to go up from the footwell and replace the existing one.

Works well, does what it should do. Sort of got used to it now, can't believe it dosen't have it as standard.

paullus
Thursday 9th November 2006, 22:11
Hi
I've fitted one to my S70 and Audi 90. Part number 357 955 531. Got it from an Audi breaker for under a tenner. VW Golf TDIs had them fitted too.
Try www.vwaudibreakers.co.uk
www.allaudi.co.uk or www.vwaudispares.co.uk

I couldn't believe the Volvo had only got a single intermittent setting after driving an older Audi which had the programmable relay. First upgrade I carried out. Well worth it. Took a week for the cuts on my hand to heal though after trying to get the original relay out and the new one in. Save yourself the hassle by getting a woman or small child to do it. My wife got the new one in in seconds after I'd almost dislocated my shoulder and cut my hand to ribbons!
The replacement relay is a different size than the original big red Volvo one marked L203. The one I have on my Audi is of similar shape but smaller overall. The one I fitted to the Volvo is more cube shaped. There is no difference in function though.
Have fun.

thunderace
Thursday 9th November 2006, 22:17
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3045&highlight=wiper+delay

madleee
Monday 13th November 2006, 10:34
My Relay is on order from an Audi Dealer. Should get it tomorrow.
Note to self, tape up my arm b4 fitting.
Sounds like I need a vet to fit it!
Mr Herriot!

madleee
Wednesday 15th November 2006, 15:48
Fitted my wiper relay and I am now a qualified Gynaecologist aswell.
How long can you get between wipes?
I managed 20 seconds

Jaseb77
Thursday 16th November 2006, 09:50
I'm prepared to take a slagging for this.

But I bought Smart Relay from Ebay for Volvo's to give intermittent wipe @ £19

Came from Taiwan, not fitted it yet, Training up to attack the bendy arm needed.

anybody know what the orignal wiper relay looks like or colour or numbers etc.

Cheers

madleee
Thursday 16th November 2006, 11:42
It's red and a pig to get out because it has a flange type lip of plastic.
You will know when u see it.
to find it turn ignition on, plug drivers seatbelt in to stop warning relay.
Now listen and feel around until you find the relay that ticks every 10 seconds.
Might be a good idea to pull your wipers up so they are not running dry.
It's easier for a left handed person too (well in an 850 anyway)

Good luck and lot's of patience...

siamblue
Thursday 16th November 2006, 13:49
Is this the one?

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o222/siamblue/Dimmerswitch.jpg

Redbrick
Thursday 16th November 2006, 14:02
Can you get to it by going in from above- underneath the fuse tray in the fuse box?

Niles
Thursday 16th November 2006, 14:10
gary thats a creepy signature piccy/movie thing you've got there mate!

siamblue
Thursday 16th November 2006, 15:10
Can you get to it by going in from above- underneath the fuse tray in the fuse box?

No don't think you can as the lower relay box has relays all over it then it is attatched to the fuse box above as well,

Yes great sig, bit close to the knuckle but in a funny way ;)

madleee
Thursday 16th November 2006, 15:27
Is this the one?

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o222/siamblue/Dimmerswitch.jpg

That's the culprit.
I notice that you have wiped off the blood sweat and tears!

NugentS
Friday 17th November 2006, 08:44
gary thats a creepy signature piccy/movie thing you've got there mate!

Yeah - whats it from?

Sean