PDA

View Full Version : MOT noooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

stainesy
Monday 10th November 2008, 12:38
just put my car in for its MOT. sat at home now waiting for the phone call. god i hate this waiting LOL
did it pass or not

jonno12
Monday 10th November 2008, 12:39
good luck mate im sure it will if it dont itll only be somink silly prob im living bk in stevenage now so if you need a hand doing anything gimmie a shout

timbo_1975
Monday 10th November 2008, 12:49
It'll pass no problems!

stainesy
Monday 10th November 2008, 15:59
it bloooody failed god dam it.

it failed on a split cv boot that has leaked grease on the front brake disc causing uneven wear.

luckily i have brand new mintex drilled and grooved dics and pads in my kichen for it.

gota take it back 2mora and they gona charge me bout £110 to suply and change the boot and to fit my brakes for me. then the retest is free.

it cant be the any wors timing my wife is already 4 days late on her due day to give birth and my mot runs out 2mora. and now having to spend our food shopping money for this week on fixing the car. also as i took this week off work for birth i ant got any wages next week. this is a seriously bad month

Yosser
Monday 10th November 2008, 16:18
I'm not having a pop here, honest :), but you can take the car for it's test from 4 weeks before the expiry of the current MOT.

Mine expires 2nd Dec and I took it for it's test today - my plan being that if it failed I still had 3 weeks to sort it. (it passed BTW)

Leaving it til the day before is just asking for grief IMHO. Sorry.

The Flying Banana
Monday 10th November 2008, 16:38
shoulda paid more attention to that kinda stuff than doing up your engine bay !!
Bit of a disaster but i am sure you wont make this mistake again, surprised you didnt notice a difference in the brakes with grease on them ?

BruceT
Monday 10th November 2008, 16:51
I'm not having a pop here, honest :), but you can take the car for it's test from 4 weeks before the expiry of the current MOT.

Mine expires 2nd Dec and I took it for it's test today - my plan being that if it failed I still had 3 weeks to sort it. (it passed BTW)

Leaving it til the day before is just asking for grief IMHO. Sorry.

Is that so? I thought even if it failed the test 2 weeks before it expired, its still failed and thus illegal to drive even though the current MOT is still a PASS and has not expired but the new MOT it failed, which is recorded thus the car has no MOT?

pjay
Monday 10th November 2008, 16:59
:nutkick: think yourself lucky there fella, mine went in last week and failed on - 2 new front discs, c/v joint boot, and wishbone o/side, plus a directional tyre on the wrong way around.....
because i was ill i couldn't even source the parts myself, so the garage did it instead, costing a chilly £275 including the price of m.o.t. cert, this is the first of the 6 volvo's i have owned that has cost me more than a tenner above the m.o.t.price.........
but in honesty the old girl is worth it to me,152000 mile but still runs great and costs me 49.9p per litre for fuel (lpg) so i am happy.....:B_steerin

Yosser
Monday 10th November 2008, 17:01
Is that so? I thought even if it failed the test 2 weeks before it expired, its still failed and thus illegal to drive even though the current MOT is still a PASS and has not expired but the new MOT it failed, which is recorded thus the car has no MOT?

I don't *think* you're totally right there, but I'm sure one of our resident MOT testers will be along shortly to put us straight.

My understanding is that the current certificate will remain current and in force. If you present a car in an unroadworthy (i.e. dangerous) condition then I guess they might have greater power to reqiure the vehicle to be kept off the road - but your car shouldn't be unroadworthy anyway.

edited to add:

This isn't a definitive answer, but there is a good discussion about this in this thread here:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=66503

PNuT
Monday 10th November 2008, 17:40
if your car fails before the current mot certificate runs out the failiure invalidates the current mot...

the current 1 months mot is so you can have upto 13 months mot

Yosser
Monday 10th November 2008, 17:43
if your car fails before the current mot certificate runs out the failiure invalidates the current mot...

Could you point me to where you get that information from please?

PNuT
Monday 10th November 2008, 17:57
Could you point me to where you get that information from please?

just contact vosa & ask them if its ok to knowingly drive round in a defective vehicle..... the faliure notice will be loged on the national database & show up on the anpr system....

Yosser
Monday 10th November 2008, 18:03
just contact vosa & ask them if its ok to knowingly drive round in a defective vehicle..... the faliure notice will be loged on the national database & show up on the anpr system....

Nobody is suggesting that it's ok to drive around in a defective vehicle, I don't rely on a once a year test to determine whether my vehicle is roadworthy or not.

What I'm questioning is whether the failure to pass an inspection within the 4 week period automatically cancels the existing certificate.

I don't think it does.

siamblue
Monday 10th November 2008, 18:08
These things could've easily been checked before taking it for the MOT, hindsight is a marvellous thing lol,

Gary

PNuT
Monday 10th November 2008, 18:10
This isn't a definitive answer, but there is a good discussion about this in this thread here:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=66503

http://www.mottest.net/mot/mot-failure-question/

they use an example of a tyre.....not a very good example in my opinion!

say it failed on emissions & you replaced the cat yourself.... does that mean its working correctly? & make it legal? the emmisions failed the test, not the part ;)

PNuT
Monday 10th November 2008, 18:14
Nobody is suggesting that it's ok to drive around in a defective vehicle, I don't rely on a once a year test to determine whether my vehicle is roadworthy or not.

What I'm questioning is whether the failure to pass an inspection within the 4 week period automatically cancels the existing certificate.

I don't think it does.

maybe the moters at work lied to me.....

Yosser
Monday 10th November 2008, 18:24
http://www.mottest.net/mot/mot-failure-question/

they use an example of a tyre.....not a very good example in my opinion!

Thanks for that link, I think it does answer the question.

It states "the old MOT is still valid until its expiry date, thus you can then drive your car again and get it retested to your timescale, with out worrying about driving without an MOT" - which was my point exactly.

If your vehicle is unroadworthy then it is unroadworthy no matter whether it has just failed/passed an MOT test or whatever.

Thats why people shouldn't rely on the test as their only means of checking the roadworthiness (sp?) of their vehicle. Unfortunately that is what the vast majority of people do.

PNuT
Monday 10th November 2008, 18:37
Thanks for that link, I think it does answer the question.

it appears to be a very grey area! which is about right for vosa! they are the same with tachograph laws & different parts of the country will give you different answers!

the problem is its saying you can replace the defective part & deem the car safe.... so a qualified tester says its unfit & any tom dick & harry can say its safe.....

stainesy
Monday 10th November 2008, 19:07
well tbh i went over my car from front to back and didnt find anything rong. the cv boot that has aparently split is a brand new one that was fitted with the cv joint a few months ago so i didnt think it would have a problem there. also the brakes are fine and brake in a strait line perfectly. the rest of the car is perfect.

so basicly its just a split cv boot that is 3 months old that need replacing.

cookie
Monday 10th November 2008, 22:32
Read the back of your red faliure notice. I have a scan of one somewhere

stainesy
Monday 10th November 2008, 22:35
Read the back of your red faliure notice. I have a scan of one somewhere

yeah it says that i can use the car till my existingmot runs out.

t5 pete
Monday 10th November 2008, 22:41
do you have the knoledge to replace it your self if so it could save you alot of money as you said eailer your money is short its only a thought due to the boots only being around £20 and the front discs are pi$$ easy to do

cookie
Monday 10th November 2008, 22:56
yeah it says that i can use the car till my existingmot runs out.

It depends how you interpret paragraph 2 of section 2

Even in the above circumstances, you may still be prosecuted for driving an unroadworthy vehicle...........

although that it predominatly regarding situations where prev test has expired, however you (and if checked by the police if stopped) are driving a vehicle with such known faults

in the event of an accident, it would obviously be down to you (as you insurer can see a copy of failure notice) to show that brake issue (cause and effect) had been resolved.

If car had a bald tyre and 8 weeks to go on MOT, would that hold any water as an excuse in the event of an accident/being stopped by police.

If remedial action has been taken then due diligence could be argued.

I always give cars a good check/service pre MOT

wheels off, check brake wear, all boots, give all springs/shocks a good visual check

refit wheels, check handbrake stops both back wheels, and rear wheels are free with handbrake off

give all wheels a good shake to check for wheel bearings etc

check all lights work, horn, washers, wipers (even though rear wiper not tested IIRC)

check all seatbelts recoil correctly, and lock properly (usually leave rear belts 'plugged in' when take to test, to show cars been checked over)

HTH

Ben

stainesy
Tuesday 11th November 2008, 10:00
well its all ok now it in the garage having the cv boot done/ fitting my mintex drilled and grooved brakes (saved me the job) and retesting it.

stainesy
Tuesday 11th November 2008, 20:45
i now have an MOT and got my mintex drilled and grooved brakes fitted.

nearly died driving home from the garage tho.
where the disc must have been milled there is a thin layer of oil on them so for the first few miles of driving after they was fitted there was hardly any brakes and alot of oil burning smoke from the discs. but all good now and brakes are blooody great. actuly have brakes to match the power now LOL

cameron
Tuesday 11th November 2008, 20:48
Good job!

Let us know how the drilled grooved disks go, id be interested in getting some ;)

Lee

t5 pete
Tuesday 11th November 2008, 20:49
[QUOTE=stainesy;195070]

nearly died driving home from the garage tho.
where the disc must have been milled there is a thin layer of oil on them so for the first few miles of driving after they was fitted there was hardly any brakes and alot of oil burning smoke from the discs.

t5 pete
Tuesday 11th November 2008, 20:53
glad its all sorted pal i think with the comemt with the brakes is very poor work man ship from that garage any one with just a little bit of commom sense would know to clean the discs before fitting new ones thats why they call a product brake and clutch cleaner also it could have caused a major accendent any way hope there fine now but if you get chance i would give the brakes a good clean as i wouldnt want my child in the car if they havnt been cleaned

stainesy
Tuesday 11th November 2008, 20:58
glad its all sorted pal i think with the comemt with the brakes is very poor work man ship from that garage any one with just a little bit of commom sense would know to clean the discs before fitting new ones thats why they call a product brake and clutch cleaner also it could have caused a major accendent any way hope there fine now but if you get chance i would give the brakes a good clean as i wouldnt want my child in the car if they havnt been cleaned

cheers mate and way ahead of you on that one. when i got home i gave them a good going over with white spirits then washed them down. i also thought it was very bad of the garage to let the car go with the brakes like that.
the first time i used them after picking it up i had to stop for a red light and went way over the line and nearly poo,d myself. but they are fine now and i even made sure the caliper bolts where done up proply.
cheers buddy

PNuT
Wednesday 12th November 2008, 04:45
so can you just clarify something for me please? the garage who changed the brakes gave you the MOT? & when you drove the car away the brakes were not working?

S70T5Chris
Wednesday 12th November 2008, 07:09
If the brakes were not working correctly, the brakes would have failed on the re-test, no?! Good garage you've found there!

stainesy
Wednesday 12th November 2008, 07:56
If the brakes were not working correctly, the brakes would have failed on the re-test, no?! Good garage you've found there!

oh yeah i didnt think of that. well thats the last time i go there then. that didnt even cross my mind untill you just said it.
its a bloody good point tho

BruceT
Wednesday 12th November 2008, 08:53
The only brake test the MOT do is on the rear wheels for the handbrake, no? Unless they test drove it...

I do agree though, everyone should know when changing brakes to get rid of the oily protection on them.

If they have only drove it out of the garage then the brakes would of been fine.

MIKESC70T5
Wednesday 12th November 2008, 14:16
Probably affected the pads now. The film of oil that was on the discs is probably embedded in the pad material, so if it was me i'd take the pads out and clean them up as they are probably glazed a bit now.

stainesy
Wednesday 12th November 2008, 14:28
Probably affected the pads now. The film of oil that was on the discs is probably embedded in the pad material, so if it was me i'd take the pads out and clean them up as they are probably glazed a bit now.

as said before i went over them with white spirits. also they are grooved and drilled discs so the grooves should stop them glazing

Tiny 12
Wednesday 12th November 2008, 15:13
I have lernt from a similar lesson, now i get the garage im going to get my MOT done to do a pre MOT about a month before (its about £25)...then it flags up anything untoward that may pop up in the MOT like CV boots ect ect. and gives you/them/ some one pleanty of time to fix it!!!!!

cameron
Wednesday 12th November 2008, 15:34
Good idea tiny :B_thumb:

Cheers bud

Lee

PNuT
Thursday 13th November 2008, 04:33
The only brake test the MOT do is on the rear wheels for the handbrake, no? Unless they test drove it...

no, the front & rear brakes will be checked on rollers for even braking side to side.... that i assume is what it failed for in the first place alledgedly!

i dont believe for a minute brake discs will wear unevenly over a couple of months due to a small amount of grease contamination!

not that the grease can get on the discs very easily anyway! as they are guarded for that reason ;)

all in all the place sounds like it should be reported as it sounds like they are creating work for themselves :lol: oh & fitting stuff for free :lol: thats a first! unless they were overcharging for the origional job ;)

PNuT
Thursday 13th November 2008, 04:35

they may have not been working evenly ;)

cookie
Thursday 13th November 2008, 14:36
they may have not been working evenly ;)

which may or maynot be cured by just replacing pads and discs, although if a slightly stick caliper then pushing in to refit pads may well have cured

y2blade
Thursday 13th November 2008, 15:09
shoulda paid more attention to that kinda stuff than doing up your engine bay !!
Bit of a disaster but i am sure you wont make this mistake again, surprised you didnt notice a difference in the brakes with grease on them ?

my thoughts too...not having a dig stainsey but the money you came into recently has been spunked on bling and tat rather then keeping your car up together......and with a wife due to pop a sprog maybe not the best things to fritter you money away on......how did you not notice grease on the brake disk? or not even look under the car to notice the spilt CV boots?

stainesy
Thursday 13th November 2008, 19:54
my thoughts too...not having a dig stainsey but the money you came into recently has been spunked on bling and tat rather then keeping your car up together......and with a wife due to pop a sprog maybe not the best things to fritter you money away on......how did you not notice grease on the brake disk? or not even look under the car to notice the spilt CV boots?

i did spend my money on fixing the car up.
new brakes
cv joints
7 seat conversion
gearbox oil
air filter
powerflex top engine mount
plugs
leads
tyres
auxilery belt
replaced all the rubber boost and vacume pipes.
new suspension

so i dont no what your idea of tat is but i thought that was money well spent

the car is running perfect so then i bought some engine bling. and as the cv boot was only 3 months old i didnt think it was gona be split.

so all in all the car was in perfect condition went it went in for its MOT the only thing was a splitt cv boot that is easily overlooked if they are new and there is no visible grease anywhere.

and the way the garage operated i wouldnt be suprised if there was no split cv boot tbh

y2blade
Thursday 13th November 2008, 20:05
all the best with the new arrival :)

PNuT
Friday 14th November 2008, 04:47
so all in all the car was in perfect condition went it went in for its MOT the only thing was a splitt cv boot that is easily overlooked if they are new and there is no visible grease anywhere.

if they are split then the grease comes out......

stainesy
Friday 14th November 2008, 10:06
if they are split then the grease comes out......

well take it they must have done me then as there was no grease. and the idvisory they gave with the fail mot said to change the front pads as they are low. nothing to do with grease on them. so i got a feeling iv been done. but hay its done now and i got bigger things on my mind like my wife in labor and me not being able to be by her side as i been up all night chucking my guts up with a bug so im not alound in the meternity ward.

jez.w
Friday 14th November 2008, 10:23
not good timing to get ill, you dont have much good luck stainesy!!!

stainesy
Friday 14th November 2008, 11:11
not good timing to get ill, you dont have much good luck stainesy!!!

i no mate tell me about it. i swera im bloody cerst. i seriously have so much bad luck its anoying LOL