PDA

View Full Version : S40 Advice

neil1983
Sunday 9th November 2008, 17:16
Hi all, I'm looking to get a Volvo S40 soon.

Can you tell me what to look out for when going to look/test drive one, also when looking at advertisment of S40's for sale I've noticedthat some of them have done a fair few miles 150k plus, are these the ones to avoid

Thanks in advance for any advice

-CHRIS-
Monday 10th November 2008, 13:35
not sure what age you are looking at but if it's phase 1 or 2 one of the bigger issues i am aware of is that they were built in partnership with mitsubishi so some of them have mitsubishi GDI engines. You can usually tell if it's a volvo or mitsu engine as the badges on the GDI engined ones say 1.8i instead of 1.8 for a volvo engined one. The GDI engines sometimes have problems with coking up (if thats the right word?) or getting choked up.. which can be expensive to sort. search and you'll find oodles of info..

good luck

chisai
Monday 10th November 2008, 16:14
150K seems to be the life of the turbo if you are after one of these.

neil1983
Monday 10th November 2008, 17:26
not sure what age you are looking at but if it's phase 1 or 2 one of the bigger issues i am aware of is that they were built in partnership with mitsubishi so some of them have mitsubishi GDI engines. You can usually tell if it's a volvo or mitsu engine as the badges on the GDI engined ones say 1.8i instead of 1.8 for a volvo engined one. The GDI engines sometimes have problems with coking up (if thats the right word?) or getting choked up.. which can be expensive to sort. search and you'll find oodles of info..

good luck

Ideally I'm looking for a phase 1 T4, but I am willing to get a 2ltr non-turbo.

Is there any other way of knowing with engine they have got in (Volvo or Mitsubishi) other that the badge?

Also which is the better engine to go for Volvo or Misti)?

chisai
Monday 10th November 2008, 17:50
Mitsubishi engines have a reputation for crap running and needing de-cokes every so often. There is a way to identify them but I am not sure what it is, maybe engine number will have a code in it.

daveforber
Monday 10th November 2008, 20:23
If it's a turbo, even a 2.0T, you should feel a noticeable boost. Listen for turbo noise in the form of excessive whistling and look for smoke on lift-off. Excessive noise and/or smoke=bad and indicates turbo wear.

Keep an eye out for bucking at full boost in all gears.

And obviously check tyre tread depth. 200bhp + front wheel drive = tyre wear. Upper-mid range to premium tyres last longer.

Other than that, usual checks. Is the oil level OK and is it clean? No signs of mayonnaise on the filler cap, dipstick, etc. Starts when hot & when cold, exhaust not blowing, steering not knocking, yada yada yada.

CONDYBOY
Monday 10th November 2008, 22:57
These are prone to engine mount and general suspension wear listen out for knocks, 150k could well mean due for a new turbo/clutch and I would deffo be fitting a new set of belts no matter what the mileage. If you get into a car and it drives like (or better) you would expect, and there's no undue knocks or smoke or general noise then buy if you have the slightest doubt don't buy. I hope this helps and good luck.

neil1983
Tuesday 11th November 2008, 09:18
Thanks for the advice people

jimka
Tuesday 11th November 2008, 16:55
get a t4, i've had a 2 litre n/a before and you'll only regret it otherwise... the mpg is not noticable (dependant on the way you drive) stay clear of the GDI engines, or anything lower than the 2.0 model for that matter... they rattle and clonk and the 1.6 is way too underpowered. what budget do you have in mind?

Al115
Tuesday 11th November 2008, 17:30
My top tip - don't buy a T4 with the reg NA52 FYU :)

Oh and the T4s actually return better mpg than the 2.0Ts!

Good luck with it!

neil1983
Tuesday 11th November 2008, 22:24
jimka - Dont really have a budget at the mo. I'm starting to save abit now and I will be selling my Laguna once its MOT'd.

Al115 - Why should I avoid that T4

Al115
Tuesday 11th November 2008, 23:13
'Cos you don't want to repeat my mistake! :D

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17622&highlight=na52

I'm down to 3 T4s now anyway (that one has gone back) and hopefully soon down to 2! :)

neil1983
Wednesday 12th November 2008, 08:59
Cheers fot that mate