PDA

View Full Version : Boot Won't Open!

Quallis
Thursday 6th November 2008, 22:47
Hi guys,

Got a problem with my boot/petrol cap switch...basically the petrol cap opens fine but the boot wont. The key fob button doesn't open it either and the only method is using the key, which is a pain considering i cant open the boot if the engine is on!

Already tried a new boot/petrol cap swiitch but still the same..also when i pull the boot release theres a clicking sound coming from above the pedals - in the region of where the relays are located...any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Neil.

FatLadZ
Friday 7th November 2008, 00:44
hi mate
i take it this is for the s70?
have you checked the simple things like the fuses?
is the clicking coming from the footwell when you opress the keyfob or activate the door switch?

cookie
Friday 7th November 2008, 00:49
IIRC (check handbook) the boot can be turned off from cental locking, so someone may have tried to open with key, and in advertantly switched it off from the central locking

can you hear the motor operate the lock when you use the key fob, as I think there is a linkage from motor/soleniod to lock assembly

Quallis
Friday 7th November 2008, 01:15
Cheers guys....yep it is a S70. I checked the fuses a while ago but i'll have another look tomorrow. The clicking happens when I use the door switch - not sure if the clicking happens when pressing the button! But I'll check.

Cookie...I can hear the boot lock motor both when i press the keyfob button and when I pull the lever/handle on the boot itself...not sure if the motor goes when I pull the door switch though.

Thanks,
Neil

cookie
Friday 7th November 2008, 11:20
http://volvo.justanswer.com/uploads/rmillerphd/2008-06-19_173451_aFinal.pdf

Just done a quick google, may be a linkage

on a side note does alarm work (single flash on indicators when locking, 2 flashes on unlocking) as may be sticky microswitch so lock thinks its unlocked when it aint

Quallis
Friday 7th November 2008, 18:03
Thanks for that...i'll have a proper look tomorrow cos its been piddling down outside...The alarm works fine too...think it mite be a linkage because I can hear a 'rattling' sound when I press the button on the key fob - like theres something loose.

Thanks for the help though..I'll take out the handle/lock tomorrow and see.

Neil.

V70Stu
Friday 7th November 2008, 20:08
On a similar note - am I right in thinking that the same boot release switch on a V70 basically does nothing or atleast doesn't unlatch the boot like my wife's S70 used to?

Cheers

Stu

FatLadZ
Saturday 8th November 2008, 00:10
yeah sounds like the plastic little latch has dropped round on the boot latch :)

Quallis
Saturday 8th November 2008, 19:44
Took apart the bootlid today...well not quite...but the linkage is fine and things seem ok. I think it might be a problem with the actual mechanism itself cos it doesn't seem like it responds to the electronic signal from the door switch/control unit.

Although I can hear the lock motor operate when i pull the handle on the boot....not sure what to do now...Might have to get a new lock motor/switch...

pangster
Thursday 20th November 2008, 10:40
does this help?:

http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/1998/1998_SV70/98sv70_045.htm#pg47