PDA

View Full Version : Sooty Tailpipe

SaffronC70
Tuesday 3rd May 2005, 17:43
Hi guys

After cleaning my tailpipe, it'll become sooty again after a 10 mile commute/dual carriage way journey driving briskly :B_steerin

Also, it's beginning to backfire more frequently after WOT throttle gear changes - a novelty at first with having the 3" downpipe, but now it's becoming slightly worrying.

I can occasionally see black smoke pulling away from traffic, but I put this down to initial fuelling.

"Sooty" as in chimney dust consistancy, not just normal running.

Anyone else get this ? is it normal on a RICA car to run a bit richer ?

Cheers

Chris

volvotuning
Tuesday 3rd May 2005, 18:21
Chris,

You ask if this is normal for the RICA software, but you haven't asked yourself if it's normal for your other mods such as the cone filter you've got on! I can assure you that there should be no smoke when pulling away. Your ECU does not begin to richen the AFR until after about 4500 rpm.

A certain amount of soot is normal, because the ECU will overfuel during cold start.

Adam.

SaffronC70
Tuesday 3rd May 2005, 18:58
aha, I should of said "occasionally in the headlights behinds me at night when pulling away with figour", hehe.

I was wondering if the worn turbo you diagnosed could of, if at all, effected the lambda sensors with the oil that was being burnt ?

Cheers

Chris

PS. leave off my poor cone filter :P I recently changed to a dry type Apexi filter with a another new MAF.

PPS. I'd like to try the standard filter box in the upcoming rolling road day, if that would be possible ? (just need to get it back of Rick, hehe)

volvotuning
Tuesday 3rd May 2005, 20:14
Maybe your lambda sensors aren't ok, but you should have fault codes if that's the case.

Adam.

ps. I won't lay off the cone!!!! ;) I know of one guy who went through a load of MAF sensors before he decided to abandon the cone filter. I only speak from experience. All I'm saying is that the ECU should be the LAST thing you look at if you've done any other mods yourself.

Al115
Tuesday 3rd May 2005, 20:22
I had exactly the same symptom, on my 1999 T5 (also ME7 as you know). Smoke when the car went on boost and v. sooty tailpile (and tailgate, since the car is an estate!) Also running a cone filter and various other bits and pieces, no chip as yet though.

I changed the Lambda sensors and the sooty tailpipe problem went away. Still getting some smoke when on boost but that's due to the turbo with crack in turbine housing I think.

I did eventually get fault codes for one of the Lambda sensors, which prompted me to change both, but the smoke problem preceded the fault code.

Alastair

siamblue
Wednesday 4th May 2005, 01:04
Chris,What plugs are you running?If it's those IK22s then that might be one of your problems,PUt some coppers in you can get them from ECP for around £8 a set.
And get rid of that bloody cone filter it will kill you in the end or your wallet will die.
You should have a seriously fast car with your mods, :jaw: :)

SaffronC70
Wednesday 4th May 2005, 19:14
I'm running NGK Iridium.

May of been a dodgy batch of fuel as the car seems a lot happier today with a new tank full; I've read in the past that Optimax has a shelf life ? Perhaps I got the last dregs!

My new cone filter setup is a lot better than the plain cone ! I have extended the intake length about 2" in front of the MAF with Samco hose and the new Apexi cone has a funnel design to help channel the air; theory behind this is to smooth the incoming air to allow the MAF to take a better reading. Also, being a dry filter, my new MAF won't get a soaking in oil, hehe.

Car is performing very well recently, no doubts about that !

Chris

Al115
Wednesday 4th May 2005, 22:36
Interesting - isn't the MAF meant to prefer turbulent air (hence the reason for the grille in the MAF ahead of the sensor itself)?

Alastair

SaffronC70
Wednesday 4th May 2005, 22:39
aha, the grille is there to straighten airflow I thought ?

siamblue
Wednesday 4th May 2005, 23:21
So Chris you ready for the 310 plus RR? That will be the proof all is fine.

SaffronC70
Wednesday 4th May 2005, 23:24
got to say, I'm quietly confident in VT.

(and it'd be nice to get a power run done in 4th gear, lol)

Al115
Thursday 5th May 2005, 09:02
You could be right about the airflow. Just seems counter-intuitive!

Alastair