PDA

View Full Version : Air-Cond At Full Throttle

glock19
Tuesday 3rd May 2005, 15:16
I did post this question way back before I got the RICA as I'm worried that prolonged high engine revolutions might bring about an early demise of my air-cond compressor. Until just now, I would turn off the compressor switch whenever I feel the urge to zoom off, be it at the lights or rolling start.

Went through the VADIS while searching for something and here's abit of info to put my mind at rest whenever some enthusiast takes over the wheel.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 3rd May 2005, 19:36
Very valuable nugget of info - thanks for that mate!

andi t5
Tuesday 3rd May 2005, 19:45
dont worry about the compresor it can take high rpm no problem, its only inhibited at full throttle to give maxiumum power, not to prevent damage ,the best way to goose your compressor is to leave the air con off for long periods, use as often as poss

nikgallagher
Wednesday 4th May 2005, 08:29
...the best way to goose your compressor is to leave the air con off for long periods, use as often as poss

If you left the a/c on all the time, how long would it take before it needed to be regassed? Approximately obviously.

andi t5
Wednesday 4th May 2005, 09:48
using an air con system does not use gas, its when you dont use it the problems start, the refrigerent contains lubricant which prevents the seals in the system from drying out(and lubes the compressor bearings) if you dont use the system for some time the seals then dry out and leaks start ,thats why so many people in this country have problems they never use the thing for months over winter first hot day they switch it on and guess what, its not working for some strange reason, , you need to run your system every week for at least ten minutes to ensure this doesnt happen, classic case of, "it you dont use it you lose it"! ive got climate in my v70 and i just have it switched on permantly no reason not to ps if you car aint got a pollen filter fitted get it retro fitted it will help to keep the nightmare evaporator problem at bay

steveT5
Wednesday 4th May 2005, 10:37
My A/C Didn't work when i bought my car, (September). The garage i got it from sent me round to their A/C man who gassed it up and put some dye in to trace any leaks. The thing is not getting cold again, but i can't see any signs of dye anywhere.
where exactly should i be looking ?

mraldonnelly
Wednesday 4th May 2005, 10:57
I think the dye is usually an ultraviolet dye only visible under a black light. If that's the case you'll need to look for leaks with a black light.

Regards

Andy

steveT5
Wednesday 4th May 2005, 11:32
Thanks Andy, i'll take it back to the a/c man then and let him look.

Steve.

Engineer
Saturday 17th December 2005, 19:35
using an air con system does not use gas, its when you dont use it the problems start, the refrigerent contains lubricant which prevents the seals in the system from drying out(and lubes the compressor bearings) if you dont use the system for some time the seals then dry out and leaks start ,thats why so many people in this country have problems they never use the thing for months over winter first hot day they switch it on and guess what, its not working for some strange reason, , you need to run your system every week for at least ten minutes to ensure this doesnt happen, classic case of, "it you dont use it you lose it"! ive got climate in my v70 and i just have it switched on permantly no reason not to ps if you car aint got a pollen filter fitted get it retro fitted it will help to keep the nightmare evaporator problem at bayAs A/C problems have been posted recently thought I would dig for some winter info as described by andi t5 above, might help those having repairs now and so avoid any disapointment next summer. Proberly been said before but don't forget you can use your A/C in winter set to hot for de-mist etc. It ain't just for chilling out.

S60D5
Saturday 17th December 2005, 20:03
As A/C problems have been posted recently thought I would dig for some winter info as described by andi t5 above, might help those having repairs now and so avoid any disapointment next summer. Proberly been said before but don't forget you can use your A/C in winter set to hot for de-mist etc. It ain't just for chilling out.

I just leave mine on all the time.

Simple.

Engineer
Saturday 17th December 2005, 21:18
I just leave mine on all the time.

Simple.Simple :haha: oil burner drivers, no sense, no feeling LOL. :hilarious

S60D5
Saturday 17th December 2005, 21:40
Simple :haha: oil burner drivers, no sense, no feeling LOL. :hilarious

As I get about 4-million miles to the gallon, I don't have to concern myself with such petty things as any additional fuel consumption that the AC turned on causes! So, I agree with your "no feeling" comment! But the sense is there for sure ;)

Engineer
Sunday 18th December 2005, 01:03
As I get about 4-million miles to the gallon, I don't have to concern myself with such petty things as any additional fuel consumption that the AC turned on causes! So, I agree with your "no feeling" comment! But the sense is there for sure ;)Turn away from the "Dark Side" :snail:Darren and the "FoRce" will be with you.................................... ;)