PDA

View Full Version : Fun while fitting the blanking plate NOT !!

cameron
Tuesday 4th November 2008, 21:41
I received my Blanking plate this morning so thought id dive in and get it done!

Blimey them bolts are awkward the one closet to the center of the engine at the top and the one on the bottom :mad111:

While trying to reinsert the top nut closet to the center the inevitable happened and it fell into the engine bay never to be seen again :(

Soooo i started the hunt and could not find it! I searched the shed for another short 10mm bolt from the previous Volvo's i have owned to no avail.

But wait whats this, the nut in the top of the negative pole of the battery, is a 10mm and its short, HHmm i wonder ????? I'll take it out and see if it fits !!!

35 minutes later the plate is fitted Yippeeeee :D

While i was under the bonnet i also tightened up the throttle cable.

And blow me what a difference, im well chuffed.

So if you find yourself loosing one of the bolts from the recirc use one from the battery poles and replace that with another, saves trying to find another turbo set up for one silly little bolt ;)

Lee

jonno12
Tuesday 4th November 2008, 21:43
well done lee things like that drive ya mad just fitted the rad i got off mr n mrss moppy today my ars are red with cuts lol

just out of intrest what difference does it mae fittin it or did u fit a dv?

cameron
Tuesday 4th November 2008, 21:48
I fitted a DV a while back but left the recirc in.

After putting the blanking plate on it seems to boost better and higher, i think i had a small leak from somewhere, but i repiped it all, same pipes just new clips all round and all pushed on properly ;)

Lee

jonno12
Tuesday 4th November 2008, 21:53
im gettin a boost leak from mine was talking to mrmopp about it earlier and he thinks it maybe a small leak from somewhere which hes prob right about as it was sitting for a while (4000 )miles in 2 yrs so the fun begins lol

cameron
Tuesday 4th November 2008, 21:55
Good luck mate ;)

Needle in a haystack comes to mind !

Lee

t5 pete
Tuesday 4th November 2008, 22:04
well done there a rite sod to do arnt they also what difference did the tightening of the throttle cabel do for you?

Torch S70R
Tuesday 4th November 2008, 22:05
crikey that was quick :)
nice one m8

cameron
Tuesday 4th November 2008, 22:21
Pete after tightening the throttle cable up, i didnt have to press the throttle so far down to get a reaction, now all i do is tap the loud pedal and it surges forward.

There used to be a slight pause, but the cable was really slack, it was that slack it was nearly coming off the spring loaded bit, sorry i dont know the name of it ;) but now its taught.

Big difference :D + with the blanking plate on its transformed ;)

Bring on the Rica !!! Oh Sheeit i need an engine mount first :(

Lee

stainesy
Tuesday 4th November 2008, 22:23
how do you tighten the throttle cable?

t5 pete
Tuesday 4th November 2008, 22:27
Hey lee glad its made a difference which mount has gone also are you getting the rica or the one that hamish is offering.
stainsey just before the throttle body you will see a black plastic long nut you will need a 14mm spanner and wind it back to tighten the cable pangster has a thread on here some where.

stainesy
Tuesday 4th November 2008, 22:30
Hey lee glad its made a difference which mount has gone also are you getting the rica or the one that hamish is offering.
stainsey just before the throttle body you will see a black plastic long nut you will need a 14mm spanner and wind it back to tighten the cable pangster has a thread on here some where.

oh nice1 cheers. yeah mines abit floppy as it goes onto that round bit thats turns its atached to

cameron
Tuesday 4th November 2008, 22:34
Hey Pete

Its the mount at the bottom of the engine behind the OS wheel arch.

It comes in 2 parts a larger bottoh half which i need and a smaller top half

A bit like this one.........

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=105_769_773&products_id=4478

Cheers bud

Lee

Yeah Hamish's Rica is on the Crimbo list 280 or 304 ? not sure yet ;)

t5 pete
Tuesday 4th November 2008, 22:37
Is yours a manual if so i would go for the 304 it took me nearly two yrs to decide weather to get it done now i have i wish i had had it done from day one also if you get the 280 you will always wounder what the 304 would be like

cameron
Tuesday 4th November 2008, 22:41
Yeah mate its a 95 manual, 118k

The male instinct in me says go for the 304, sounds bigger ;)

Bigger is always better or so my Mrs keeps tellin me :D

I keep thinking its a compliment but she's probably slaging me off :rotfl:

Lee

t5 pete
Tuesday 4th November 2008, 22:44
lol once you have the money get it done just make sure the jubilee clips are firmley on the intercooler pipes myne blew it off twice i made sure they were tight after that

pangster
Wednesday 5th November 2008, 08:52

here you go:

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18392

:)

adey
Wednesday 5th November 2008, 09:11
Yeah mate its a 95 manual, 118k

The male instinct in me says go for the 304, sounds bigger ;)

Bigger is always better or so my Mrs keeps tellin me :D

I keep thinking its a compliment but she's probably slaging me off :rotfl:

Lee

hi mate just a quik question where does the small pipe that use to go to ur rv go after you put the planking plate on

cameron
Wednesday 5th November 2008, 13:45
Hi mate it did go to the Manifold but ive just blanked it off now ;)

Lee

Mental Wealth Doctor
Wednesday 5th November 2008, 19:14
Hi any pictures of recirculating valve posistion on engine and general fitting advice would be most appreciated, seems to be a metal plate obscurring turbo from site,??

Jod T5
Wednesday 5th November 2008, 22:43
Hi any pictures of recirculating valve posistion on engine and general fitting advice would be most appreciated, seems to be a metal plate obscurring turbo from site,??

Picturing the recirc in situ it difficult as it is out of view, however these pictures from Dooby show it in position on a loose 15g...
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d157/jod1jod/various/Picture094.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d157/jod1jod/various/Picture112.jpg
A 10mm flexible head rachet spanner is a good tip as it removing the lower bolt from underneath
HTH
Cheers
Jod

cameron
Thursday 6th November 2008, 01:05
See here.......

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?p=193831#post193831

HTH

Lee