PDA

View Full Version : D5 - what to look for

Ross9
Tuesday 4th November 2008, 16:01
Hi guys

Looking for any and all info on D5's, the 2001-2004 area, 2005 is a bit over my budget, so basically the 163 bhp version.

Whats the difference between the S, SE etc versions? It will be a manual not an auto.

What differences were made in the facelift for 2005?

What are the things to look for, average mpg (will remap it as soon as possible no doubt) , rough servicing costs, road tax bracket etc.

Sorry for being lazy, just might as well gleen as much info here first then go looking, so far just been looking at them price and looks wise and they are top of my list so far.

Cheers in advance

Ross

S60-MBS
Tuesday 4th November 2008, 16:37
Hi Ross,Early D5's(2001-2002) are prone to injector failures,split intercoolers and DIM wiring failures.servicing from Volvo is extortion.Road tax on my D5 is £170 per annum currently not sure what its going to rise to later on.The S has black trim around the lower regions of car where as SE has colour coded trim.Equipment levels vary for example my S has leather/walnut interior,foglights and ECC etc,I seen some S models with basic air con and poor equipment levels.

timbo_1975
Tuesday 4th November 2008, 17:50
Earlier S's had manual air con as a rule and no fogs.

If its got climate but no fogs and no cruise it is / was a rep special- avoid.

You wont often find two cars exactly the same as most spec was all optional.

Whichever model you get, i would recommend you find one with the winter pack (heated seats, mirrors, and h/lamp wash wipe etc)

Tim..

v70torslanda
Tuesday 4th November 2008, 20:06
Generally and up to MY03.

Black rubbing strips, Winter pack optional - don't buy a car without. S models velour upholstery. SE models leather. Leather in 3 colours black, oak & beige. Mostly STC. Avoid anything but black if you are going to 'work' your car. Avoid 7 seat conversions unless you really want one. Dolby ProLogic sounds in SE. Anything that has not got the factory HU built in stereo is probably ex-police.

MY03-05.

Sleeker door mirrors, different head unit, SE memory seats as std. DSTC more common.
Introduction of painted side mouldings and chrome bumper strips. Centre console slicked up with latching armrest and 'rollerblind' cover for cupholders.

Major facelift 05 on. All painted mouldings, clear headlamps and crystal tail lights with LED side markers in the clusters.

Only minor messing between then and cease production. Side repeaters in the mirrors and so on but a design they got pretty much right out of the box. I love mine and can't see any reason to swap it.

Hope this helps.

luv'n'stuff

J