PDA

View Full Version : Stiff accelerator pedal... sorted! :)

pangster
Saturday 1st November 2008, 14:57
For some time I've noticed that my accelerator pedal has felt a little stiff. I had a little time this morning so I investigated it further. I removed the cover over the accelerator drum ( 1 x T25 screw) and felt the accelerator cable and it felt a little slack.

I tightened the cable through the adjuster screw on the cable with a 14mm spanner to make the accelerator cable more taught i.e. minimal slack - and also checked that the wheel had full movement between its stops.

Took it for a spin and it feels like a different car!!. The pedal is no longer tight/rough and the pick up is instant. If anyone has similar symptoms then I'd check this as I imagine with age and use etc that the cable becomes stretched/slack and needs adjusted.

I didn't take any pictures as it's quite straight forward- but I did come across this on VOC - whilst its for an S40/V40 - the adjuster on the cable is exactly the same and the steps taken are also the same:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=43010&highlight=adjusting+throttle+cable

HTH

y2blade
Saturday 1st November 2008, 15:45
good work :)

not long afer buying my T5 i fitted a new throttle cable as the pedal was "stiff"...it was like a differant car

pangster
Saturday 1st November 2008, 15:47
good work :)

not long afer buying my T5 i fitted a new throttle cable as the pedal was "stiff"...it was like a differant car

thanks mate! really pleased with it! more so that it didn't cost anything! lol! :)

pangster
Saturday 1st November 2008, 19:22
I forgot to say that I had hooked my car up to the laptop for some data logging yesterday and that's another reason why I thought something was wrong as at WOT it was only registering around 70% throttle position! lol! :)

If I get a chance tomorrow I'll take it for another run and log the results to compare - but I can definately feel the difference. For something that takes all of 5 minutes to check and adjust its definately worth doing! :)

I also came across this post on VS where Greg had a similar problem:

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index.php?showtopic=28672&hl=throttle++cable++adjustment

t5 pete
Saturday 1st November 2008, 21:28
my peddal feel stiff i will have a look 2mrw cheers

pangster
Saturday 1st November 2008, 22:16
my peddal feel stiff i will have a look 2mrw cheers

no problem! :)

t5 pete
Saturday 1st November 2008, 22:18
[QUOTE=t5 pete;192893]my peddal

I first need to learn how to spell i think lol

pangster
Saturday 1st November 2008, 22:18
[QUOTE=t5 pete;192893]my peddal

I first need to learn how to spell i think lol

lol! - or drink less beer! :)

t5 pete
Saturday 1st November 2008, 22:22
Its the beer pangster im half cooked now need to calm down BUT ITS SO NICE lol

pangster
Saturday 1st November 2008, 22:26
Its the beer pangster im half cooked now need to calm down BUT ITS SO NICE lol

PMSL!!! :)

Back on topic though - it's definately worth checking! (tomorrow when you're sober! lol! :) ) the difference in my car is like night and day! :)

t5 pete
Saturday 1st November 2008, 22:29
I will def be going to cheack it 2mrw i will let you know when ive done it

pangster
Saturday 1st November 2008, 22:31
I will def be going to cheack it 2mrw i will let you know when ive done it

lol! - let me know how you get on! :)

t5 pete
Saturday 1st November 2008, 22:35
will do pal cheers for putting this thread on its been quiet helpfull

BruceT
Sunday 2nd November 2008, 21:27
I had some slack in my pedal so checked this, but I just sprayed loads of WD40 on the drum/mechanism and the little damper thing and reduced the slack and its better.

What data logging do you have to check WOT % ?

pangster
Sunday 2nd November 2008, 21:29
What data logging do you have to check WOT % ?

I've got another post on it:

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18396

:)

Yosser
Tuesday 4th November 2008, 11:36
Ok, this is a marginally random reply to this thread....

I don't have any issues with the throttle cable on the car, but I was tinkering under the bonnet of the van (Scudo) at the weekend and it's cable was really slack. I've adjusted it and the difference in pickup is amazing!

Thanks for putting the thought in my head ;)

pangster
Tuesday 4th November 2008, 12:42
Ok, this is a marginally random reply to this thread....

I don't have any issues with the throttle cable on the car, but I was tinkering under the bonnet of the van (Scudo) at the weekend and it's cable was really slack. I've adjusted it and the difference in pickup is amazing!

Thanks for putting the thought in my head ;)

I think going by a few of the responses on here, VOC and VS that this is maybe something that gets overlooked a lot of the time. From the replies I've had - quite a few people have needed to adjust theirs! lol! The throttle arm that connects to the throttle wheel can also be adjusted in length (as it's a threaded bar) so I'm going to have a look at mine - maybe on Thursday or at the weekend and if it needs adjusting then I'll probably pull together a quick write up on the whole thing. If I also adjust this I'll data log another run to see what difference (if any it makes). :)

EDIT: as an aside I've noticed a slight difference in how the boost gauge is behaving since adjusting the throttle.. before if I had eased off and then reapplied the throttle - it would go from vac to 0 then to boost (quite slowly) - now when I step on it, the needle flicks straight to 0 (instantly)!

BruceT
Tuesday 4th November 2008, 12:46
Look forward to seeing what happens mate.

Should have my ELM323 in a week or so too, so we can compared WOT %.

pangster
Tuesday 4th November 2008, 12:49
Look forward to seeing what happens mate.

Should have my ELM323 in a week or so too, so we can compared WOT %.

Yosser
Tuesday 4th November 2008, 14:05
I've ordered one of these ELM323 things too, so I'll be looking at the figures as soon as I get it working!

BruceT
Tuesday 4th November 2008, 14:16
I've ordered one of these ELM323 things too, so I'll be looking at the figures as soon as I get it working!

Nice one, from Alpha-bid on Ebay?

What car you got?

pangster
Tuesday 4th November 2008, 14:17

If you need a hand with anything - give me a shout! :)

Yosser
Tuesday 4th November 2008, 15:17
If you need a hand with anything - give me a shout! :)

Will do!

Nice one, from Alpha-bid on Ebay?

What car you got?

Yup, from Alpha-bid. The car is a '97 V70

pangster
Tuesday 4th November 2008, 18:40
I added a list explaining some of the OBDII parameters that might help:

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?p=193510#post193510

gtiteen
Tuesday 4th November 2008, 18:54
I had a stiff pedal on both my 850s, the second especially! If only I'd known about this then, everyone who drove it mentioned it!!!
Dave

pangster
Tuesday 4th November 2008, 19:01
I had a stiff pedal on both my 850s, the second especially! If only I'd known about this then, everyone who drove it mentioned it!!!
Dave

lol!!! :)

Billybhoy1978
Thursday 6th November 2008, 10:22
Wow just tightened up my cable! Now I know how its meant to feel lol! Thanks for the tip Im a happy bunny now..well almost

Billy

pangster
Thursday 6th November 2008, 12:37
Wow just tightened up my cable! Now I know how its meant to feel lol! Thanks for the tip Im a happy bunny now..well almost

Billy

no problem! - glad to help! :)

It's also now been added to your Stage 0 guide and should be getting updated on the VOC Stage 0 guide in the near future as well! :)

Nc3g08
Friday 20th February 2009, 10:57
I've just been out fitting a BOV to my 850 t5, i havnt been suffering with a 'stiff' accelerator pedal but after this thread id thought id check it, quite abit of play in the wire, few twist with the spanner, sorted!! Feels alot more responsive + better control.
Cheers!

pangster
Friday 20th February 2009, 11:45
I've just been out fitting a BOV to my 850 t5, i havnt been suffering with a 'stiff' accelerator pedal but after this thread id thought id check it, quite abit of play in the wire, few twist with the spanner, sorted!! Feels alot more responsive + better control.
Cheers!

no problem! - glad it helped! :)

wegal
Friday 20th February 2009, 12:19
Looks like you found the best volvo fix ever Pangster... great work.

I had a look at mine but there was just a box of electric wires that led to a box full of electronics that led to some more electric wires. I gave the box of electronics a clonk with the spanner ( well I'd got it out of the tool box seemed rude not to use it) and Im glad to report that it drives just like before.

Im so cack handed that if you give me 2 spanners I cant even play you a tune !

pangster
Friday 20th February 2009, 12:39
im so cack handed that if you give me 2 spanners i cant even play you a tune !

pmsl!!! :)

Nc3g08
Friday 20th February 2009, 23:52
Spanners... took my car on a dyno earlier, it shot flames out the pipe n recorded a good 1-3 bhp more than usual, please dont tell my insurance company..or mummy... electrics???

ukcb7tuner
Monday 23rd February 2009, 22:27
cheers for this usefull post cars a joy to drive now, used to feel real heavy havin to push accelerator down half way before it would do anything now i just gotta touch it and its ready to go once again cheers ;)