PDA

View Full Version : Problem when cold

Tomcat
Friday 31st October 2008, 16:08
I've noticed that in the past few days the car seems to be hinting for some lovin and attention. When it's cold it's started to act really strange, today for instance I started the car up, drove down the road and tried to accelerate, when I did this the car virtualy died. The engine didn't stall, it didn't miss, it just wouldn't go, I tried to pull away twice and it did it on both occasions, however if I drive sedatley then it doesn't do it. When it's warm it's fine....

Er......anyone?,

Oh, there's no warning lights up yet either, so I haven't checked for fault codes.

MrMopp
Friday 31st October 2008, 16:26
Its called old age TC......oh my bad you meant the car lol

Moppy x

PNuT
Friday 31st October 2008, 17:30
I've noticed that in the past few days the car seems to be hinting for some lovin and attention. When it's cold it's started to act really strange, today for instance I started the car up, drove down the road and tried to accelerate, when I did this the car virtualy died. The engine didn't stall, it didn't miss, it just wouldn't go, I tried to pull away twice and it did it on both occasions, however if I drive sedatley then it doesn't do it. When it's warm it's fine....

Er......anyone?,

Oh, there's no warning lights up yet either, so I haven't checked for fault codes.

could be lots, does it feel like fuel or spark? maybe your fuel pump is alittle sluggish when cold?

Tomcat
Friday 31st October 2008, 18:34
could be lots, does it feel like fuel or spark? maybe your fuel pump is alittle sluggish when cold?

Hmm, I'd say it feels more like fuel starvation than a bad spark as it doesn't miss or hesitate it just dies, so yeah you could be right about the fuel pump.

abdul
Friday 31st October 2008, 18:38
give it a good service ie plugs distributor leads etc

Tomcat
Friday 31st October 2008, 18:42
It's already had a good service, new leads, plugs, rotor arm, dizzy carp, oil and filter change, petrol filter change.

PNuT
Friday 31st October 2008, 18:44
does it feel like a carb car without using the choke?

Tomcat
Friday 31st October 2008, 18:45
Yup, that's exactly what it feels like, if you feather it it's ok, but if you give it a boot full it doesn't want to know.

PNuT
Friday 31st October 2008, 18:47
Yup, that's exactly what it feels like, if you feather it it's ok, but if you give it a boot full it doesn't want to know.

my best guess from here is a fuel pressure problem or the ecu thinks the car is warm! temp sender unit? whats the gauge doing?

other than that! i dunno....

Tomcat
Friday 31st October 2008, 18:48
Temp gauge seems to be ok, but it does take a hell of a long time for the car to warm up. Temp sensor or thermostat?.

PNuT
Friday 31st October 2008, 18:50
Temp gauge seems to be ok, but it does take a hell of a long time for the car to warm up. Temp sensor or thermostat?.

thermostat

i assume you are using plenty of petrol?

Tomcat
Friday 31st October 2008, 18:52
Lol, that's all down to perception. To someone who owns one no, it's averaging 19mpg(mostly around town), to someone who doesn't own one it's bloody awefull,lol.

PNuT
Friday 31st October 2008, 19:05
Lol, that's all down to perception. To someone who owns one no, it's averaging 19mpg(mostly around town), to someone who doesn't own one it's bloody awefull,lol.

19 is more than my mates uses & he doesnt do more than 4 miles at a time!

t5 pete
Friday 31st October 2008, 19:09
does sound like a fuel problem but check for air leaks when the engine warms up everything expands and could close the air leak up

PNuT
Friday 31st October 2008, 19:21
does sound like a fuel problem but check for air leaks when the engine warms up everything expands and could close the air leak up

air leak in or out?

t5 pete
Friday 31st October 2008, 19:25
a leak on the inlet manifold would be sucking cold air in but would probley only cause the car to hunt could it be a problem with the idle controll valve or would that just cause the car to idle irractilly

Tomcat
Friday 31st October 2008, 20:07
It's not really hunting, and to be honest it doesn't do it all the time (that I've noticed), however it has done it the last two days running.

t5 pete
Friday 31st October 2008, 20:16
is there some sort of warm up valve on these cars or is that the idle controll valve

Jod T5
Wednesday 5th November 2008, 01:01
Coolant Temperature Sensor would be my diagnosis. I doubt a thermostat would effect the cold fueling but would replace that too if it is getting lazy

The sensor can be checked for voltage at cold and warm....

Cheers
Jod

PNuT
Wednesday 5th November 2008, 04:36
Coolant Temperature Sensor would be my diagnosis. I doubt a thermostat would effect the cold fueling but would replace that too if it is getting lazy

The sensor can be checked for voltage at cold and warm....

Cheers
Jod

i dont think the thermostat is the fueling problem.... its a seperate problem....

Jod T5
Wednesday 5th November 2008, 08:02
i dont think the thermostat is the fueling problem.... its a seperate problem....

Exactly....;)
Cheers
Jod