PDA

View Full Version : help confused

Slomo
Thursday 30th October 2008, 23:31
Helloo all.

I have loads of issues with finding the alternator for my S40 T4. Now volvo and every part company in the UK give me this part number for my 1999 S40 1.9 T4 8251639 120. Also at the local Volvo dealers they show me on their screen pictures of that alternator and so on. Here is the issue. That alternator will not fit my car, it has a completely different fitting.

After 2 alternators later we have sort of solved it. The Alternator currently on my car ( from new) is a 120amp alternator that fits a Volvo 960 2.3 not a S40 1.9 T4. Every listing for an alternator for my car does not show that one.

Any one else have something like this?

It is extremenly frustrating as I have a 180 amp alternator brand new that I cannot use The company that supplied it went by Volvo's computer which lists a completely different alternator that is on my car.

Anything I can do?

I will try and post pics up later

J

Slomo
Friday 31st October 2008, 13:22
ok an update as this is really getting confusing.

The original Valeo? Alternator has a unique shape to it. THe replacement which is Bosch and this is the one that matches the model number from the original does not fit. Teh shape is different. So I am now waiting for a regulator to help fix the original alternator. This is driving me nuts. Volvo in Reading are still saying the original alternator that I bought (even though it is a completely differnt shape) will fit... It doesnt. 3 Alternator's been bought now and still confused....

J

CONDYBOY
Saturday 1st November 2008, 11:19
Sounds like a major screwup, how long have you had the car? if still under warranty (or if not still try) go to your dealer and have a blazing row with them over their incompitence, make sure that there are a few customers around to hear you, this may just shame them into giving you some sort of recompence, return the alternators to where you got them as they are not fit for purpose you should get a full refund.

Slomo
Saturday 1st November 2008, 13:13
in the process of doing that now. Volvo uk also have a the alternator 8251639 120 for my car and only that alternator fits :( going round in circles a bit here. but we will get there in the end i hope. Volvo hq are looking into it for me. so will see what they say.

J

gazbak1
Saturday 1st November 2008, 17:03
just to let you know volvo reading closed its doors yesterday 31th october. and yes i have been made redundant :cussing:

gazbak1

daveforber
Sunday 2nd November 2008, 15:40
At the risk of sounding really stupid ... it is actually a T4 lump under the bonnet?