PDA

View Full Version : frozen brakes

stainesy
Wednesday 29th October 2008, 18:22
went to leave for work this morning and my car was totaly frozen solid. the door was frozen shut then when i got it open it wouldnt shut again.

finaly sorted it then went to pull away and car wouldnt move. then a clonk from the rear brakes and it was off but rear caliper was screeching. after it warmed up from friction it was fine. my rear brake was actuly frozen on.

it was that could here with snow lastnight that i have about a 10mm covering of solid ice all over my car.

t5 pete
Wednesday 29th October 2008, 18:35
we ant had a bit of snow and there was only a little bit of frost this morning

Loz1
Wednesday 29th October 2008, 18:58
went to leave for work this morning and my car was totaly frozen solid. the door was frozen shut then when i got it open it wouldnt shut again.

finaly sorted it then went to pull away and car wouldnt move. then a clonk from the rear brakes and it was off but rear caliper was screeching. after it warmed up from friction it was fine. my rear brake was actuly frozen on.

it was that could here with snow lastnight that i have about a 10mm covering of solid ice all over my car.

Smear vaseline on the door rubbers stops the doors from sticking. As for your rear brake freezing on, are the pistons sticking.

stephenevans99
Wednesday 29th October 2008, 18:59
If the rear brakes sieze/freeze up again, try going backwards a foot or so....they'll release a lot easier. Don't know why....but they do do !!

Steve

t5 pete
Wednesday 29th October 2008, 19:01
loz1 as for the brakes stickin what happens is snow turns to water between and around the pad and disc then it freezes which makes them as one if you get what i mean

nathT5
Wednesday 29th October 2008, 19:02
a problem on the alfa 155 (ive had 4) is that the handbrake cable freezes inside,
it dips down under the axle and holds water and its advised to leave it off in winter if possible,

not sure if its the same on these though...

Loz1
Wednesday 29th October 2008, 19:06
loz1 as for the brakes stickin what happens is snow turns to water between and around the pad and disc then it freezes which makes them as one if you get what i mean

Does this only happen with volvo's. Never heard or experienced this before on cars or motorbikes i've had.

t5 pete
Wednesday 29th October 2008, 19:10
Does this only happen with volvo's. Never heard or experienced this before on cars or motorbikes i've had.

Ive had it a few times also even if it isnt winter ive had the brakes sticking when the car has been stood for a while

stainesy
Wednesday 29th October 2008, 19:11
actuly it could have been the handrake stuck on as it felt like it was being held back for a wile and rear brake had a constant squeek untill the car hotted up. maybe the exhaust melted the ice holding the handbrake cable

pangster
Wednesday 29th October 2008, 20:09
a problem on the alfa 155 (ive had 4) is that the handbrake cable freezes inside,
it dips down under the axle and holds water and its advised to leave it off in winter if possible,

not sure if its the same on these though...

same thing with MR2.. water gets trapped into the rubber boots from the handbrake cable to the calliper and freezes overnight - like most things rubber they perish with age.. you "release" the handbrake only to find out that the brakes are still on! lol! .. only solution was to replace the handbrake cables (as the boots weren't available seperately) or leave the hand brake off.. or if you were good at aiming a hot stream of water! lol! :) :)

stainesy
Wednesday 29th October 2008, 20:15
on the auto,s is it as good as a handbrake to leave it in park?

t5 pete
Wednesday 29th October 2008, 20:19
ive been in a few autos and every one i know never uses a handbrake with the auto just slip it into park