PDA

View Full Version : Brakes

Billybhoy1978
Wednesday 29th October 2008, 10:19
Hi guys, I know this topic has probably been done to death but is it really worth upgrading the brakes on my v70 to 302's?? I think cosmetically it would look better but will I actually notice the difference in braking?? Also where can I get hold of the carriers I queried my local stealer and fainted! I also noticed that PFV do a kit with black diamond discs and pads for just over 300 quid this looks like not bad value but as I cant find carriers anywhere else I cant compare it lol!! Any input welcomed lol!

Billy

Al115
Wednesday 29th October 2008, 10:24
Yes it's worth doing, and check eBay for the carriers... :) have fun!

Alan M
Wednesday 29th October 2008, 10:32
Carriers are available through Rufe for around £45-50 exchange on a pair.

Terminator
Wednesday 29th October 2008, 12:49
Personally I would get standard 302mm front disks and pads with your caliper carriers from Rufe at FRF, who will give you a good discount on the lot.

Volvo disks and pads are very good quality and likely to be just as good and cheaper than the Black Diamonds. Another option is to get your carriers and pads from Rufe and collect 302mm disks from GSF (Zimmerman disks). This will save your postage costs and Zimmerman disks are just as good as Volvo OEM imo.

cameron
Wednesday 29th October 2008, 12:56
These are the carriers but they look a lot more than you'd get them off Simon ( Rufe )

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volvo-S60-V70-T5-D5-Caliper-Brackets-Brake-Discs_W0QQitemZ180268467468QQcmdZViewItem?hash=ite m180268467468&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C 240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Lee

pookie
Wednesday 29th October 2008, 12:58
You WILL notice the difference.
A very worthwhile mod.

Pookie

GregE102
Wednesday 29th October 2008, 13:05
Yes well worth the money
I had mine done some time ago now by RT Mechanic's and had DS2500 pads fitted at the same time stopping was no longer a problem.
I once had black diamond diskc & pads and personaly don't go there stick with volvo Disks they are worht the extra money and pads of your choice.

Wombatbomb
Wednesday 29th October 2008, 13:59
Dooby over on the VOC has a full set of everything for this conversion for sale (he's just upgraded to APs).

Storm-Troll
Wednesday 29th October 2008, 15:12
Get 302 Ferodo Ceramic Jobbies..lol... I did as I always got brake fade from Heavy braking. but never had it since and my Stopping distance has be halfed if not more.. I woudlnt go back to stock ones now.....

irf
Wednesday 29th October 2008, 17:20
depends on what you're gonna use the car for. if it's fast road, you may get away with using even the 280mm discs if you have good pads.

uprating to 302mm discs you probably won't notice any difference at all in the feel of the pedal and day to day driving but they will be more resistant to fade.

if you wanna take the car on track you'll be fine with volvo discs but you need some proper pads.

i haven't used ferodo ds2500s on the volvo so wouldn't like to comment but the pads i used at the nurburgring cost me £160 and i had zero fade even after going out for back to back laps once or twice.

Yosser
Wednesday 29th October 2008, 18:02
depends on what you're gonna use the car for. if it's fast road, you may get away with using even the 280mm discs if you have good pads.

uprating to 302mm discs you probably won't notice any difference at all in the feel of the pedal and day to day driving but they will be more resistant to fade.

if you wanna take the car on track you'll be fine with volvo discs but you need some proper pads.

i haven't used ferodo ds2500s on the volvo so wouldn't like to comment but the pads i used at the nurburgring cost me £160 and i had zero fade even after going out for back to back laps once or twice.

I agree with irf on this one.

I've thought long and hard about what to do with my brakes, as I have the 280mm discs on my T5.

I decided that because I'm not really likely to be on the track (maybe once in a blue moon), and that the worst it'll get is 'spirited' road driving, I'll stick with the 280's.

I have a set of ATE discs, EBC ceramic redstuff pads, goodridge lines, and ATE super blue going on the car on Monday. I think (hope?) that will do me fine.

On the upside, if I change my mind and want to go to 302's then the pads and hoses will still be ok (I bought the longer hoses just in case ;))

Storm-Troll
Wednesday 29th October 2008, 18:59
I got those Ferodo Pads Irf.. they work well. brakin is not gret while they cold.. but once warmed up.. man, u need to mind ur nose on the windscreen, they are that good...

Billybhoy1978
Wednesday 29th October 2008, 19:50
Well it seems like it is worth it then! Dooby pm'ed me but his inbox is full so I cant send mail back lol! Those ferodo pads seem to be the choice of most might have a look at getting them! As for discs I still think grooved discs look far better and as far as my experience with them goes they are no better or worse than standard (although Ive never owned a volvo before lol!) Might as well get the braided hoses seeing as Im tinkering about down there lol!

I can see this car costing me a fortune lol!

1 month owned and £450 so far!

dooby
Wednesday 29th October 2008, 22:34
Yeah sorry about that - my bad! I've cleared a bit of space now :-)

Cheers, Pete

Storm-Troll
Wednesday 29th October 2008, 23:21
Only bad thing with Grooved Discs is they wear ur pads down Quicker than ungrooved.. they work in the same was as the Meat Slicers in the Supermarket. every time the disc does a Rotation, the pad passes over the grooved sections and they make the slicing movement that the meat slicers do so the edges of the Grooves slice away at the pads and they wear down Quicker... I got that from the Brake man I asked when I was choosing to get grooved or ungrooved... plus the grooves make u loose pad to disc contact so they would not be as efficient as ungrovved for braking... But Dont take my word for it chap. just putting over what I was told when I made the choice.....